Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That's funny, the waiting room has AC. (kinda-long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lumlite, how much danger were you personally in when she did that? Forget the potential damage to the engine, what is the extent of what could have happened to you? Sounds like attempted assault to me! I'm glad you're ok.

Comment

First let me say that I'm really glad nothing happened to you. I cringed when I thought of a shirt sleeve or something getting caught in the serpentine belt.

Quoth lumlite View Post
      The problem is, according to the owners, this isn't a rule. If the customer wants to drive their car in, then they can drive their car in. The owners have backed customers on this issue before. We can tell them that we're not responsible if they end up in the pit, that's it.
      Then maybe it's time to let your owner's insurance company know what is going on. I'm sure they'll make the rule for him.

I have not been to any type of automotive shop that doesn't have the sign "No CUSTOMERS IN THE SHOP" or something to that effect. We both know that one of these days this non-rule of your bosses is going to rear it's ugly head up and bite someone, karma being the bitch that she is.

Just with the customer that you describe, there are 3 things that you're bosses insurance agent would have a coronary over. Her driving the vehicle into the shop, her remaining in the vehicle while it's being serviced and her starting the vehicle while there was someone still working under it.

Sorry, I seem to be preaching again. You of all people know what the liabilities are. I just think that your boss should share the suckiness of the situation.

Climbs down off his soap box and goes back to his hole.
      Last edited by bigjimaz; 06-22-2007, 05:07 AM.
      This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Reyneth: I wasn't in as much dange as I could have been. The store manager wasn't in that day, so I had my sleeves rolled up, otherwise they would have caught on the timing belt. As it was, I was reaching through the belt with my fingers about an 1"-1 1/2" from the radiator fan. So, probably not lethal, but I could have lost some skin, and maybe a couple of fingers.

bigjimaz: We've actually got those signs, they're attached to the chain that goes across the bay entrance. The chain that customers constantly step right over. We've actually had complaints that somebody was going to trip on the chain. The chain we put up to keep people out. The owners are convinced that, so long as the customers are warned, we don't have any responsibility. So, if anybody wants a big payday, just send me a pm.

Honestly though, things like this, and The Door Guy, are the reasons I was so glad to finally get outta the lube buisness.

Comment

What a bitch.

Am I an asshole for knowing that the last thing I would have done is put oil in the engine if she'd started it while being serviced?

Also uh, I've never seen a car with an exposed timing belt.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
            Also uh, I've never seen a car with an exposed timing belt.
            My engine's got an exposed timing belt, but the thing's practically an antique. It is an antique, actually.
            You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot where I was. SC's can't read, when they do read they don't comprehend and when they comprehend they ignore it anyway. Please forgive me. I was lost for a second.

I was in an euphoric world where everything is done correctly. It was such a nice place. Everyone keeping their kids under control, waitstaff everywhere were getting tipped at 20%, people were reading everything and doing what they read. Phone techs were happily going about their day answering calls by people praising the service, all management people were on the side of the people they supervised, the area code 867 did not exist and Salma Hayek was giving me a nude massage on my own yacht in the Carribean.

Alright! Who the %#&* woke me up?!?
              Last edited by bigjimaz; 06-22-2007, 11:52 AM.
              This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                I thought of a shirt sleeve or something getting caught in the serpentine belt.
                Not all engines have serpentine belts, in fact one without could be worse since a sleeve would drag you around all the drive gears/belts on the engine, even more damage to your arm.

I wouldan't have refilled the oil, just tell her to leave after somthing like that. You people have insane amounts of self-control, I guess it comes from dealing with morons every day
                Linux user (Debian and Kubuntu)
                Programmer in C and perl!

I'm "only" 16 but do NOT try and outskill me with machines

Comment

Screw that. She endangered you, and broke the rules by running her car. Tell her to stop it. When her IQ-deficient decision burns her engine up...that's on her.

Comment

I'm on the boat that I would not have refilled her oil as quickly. I would have simply told her that I cannot add the oil while the car is running or at least go much slower about it. Go up the stairs first, assess the situation, count to 30 very slowly, have a soda, then go put the plug back on with the old filter, (extra points if the old filter is off allready, if so run and wait for the boom), then add the oil, by this point a tow truck should have been called to remove the 4000 lb paperweight.

Cost of Oil change - $29.99
                    Cost of fuel to drive to lube center - $5.00
                    Cost of Soda to quench thirst - $1.25
                    Cost of towtruck $200.00
                    Watching stupid cows heads crack - Priceless.
                    My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Please don't hate me for this Lumlite, but I'm hoping you can tell me if someone's trying to give me the shaft at the lube-shop. I got an estimate for some maintenance on my car today, and I'm trying to figure out if $125 in parts $192 in labor is unreasonable for an 'Extra Service' (aka, rotate the tires, top up everything, etc while they're at it) oil change, engine diagnostic and tune-up, and 2 new belts.

I'm not arguing on the parts, really, since the estimate came with an itemized list, but he said it'd take about 3 hours once they got to it and $64/hr seems just a wee bit excessive. Rather than be an SC about it, I'm trying to figure out what's up so I'll know whether to tighten my belt and do it or go somewhere else.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Wow. What a rude, selfish, clueless woman!!!!!!!

I'm just about speechless with rage, so I'll just let that rage be known and shuffle off.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                          Please don't hate me for this Lumlite, but I'm hoping you can tell me if someone's trying to give me the shaft at the lube-shop. I got an estimate for some maintenance on my car today, and I'm trying to figure out if $125 in parts $192 in labor is unreasonable for an 'Extra Service' (aka, rotate the tires, top up everything, etc while they're at it) oil change, engine diagnostic and tune-up, and 2 new belts.

I'm not arguing on the parts, really, since the estimate came with an itemized list, but he said it'd take about 3 hours once they got to it and $64/hr seems just a wee bit excessive. Rather than be an SC about it, I'm trying to figure out what's up so I'll know whether to tighten my belt and do it or go somewhere else.
                          Now, for the record, I'm not a mechanic per se, but it doesn't look quite right from here. No one in my shop is a full-on mechanic, but we could do everything but the tune-up and belts in about 30 min. for about $55.

What Jiffy Lube can do for you:
                          Oil Change is about $35 all told (at least it was when I was working there.)
                          Checking and topping off your fluids is included free.
                          Tire Rotation(if the shop does it) is $20.
                          Diagnostic is free, just ask for it.

What Jiffy Lube cannot do for you:
                          We're not equiped to change belts, except for serpantine belts.
                          No tune-ups (sorry)

So, that's all I can really say on that.

Comment

If I ever started my car with no oil in it, my brother would skin me alive as he a mechanic.
                            Boogity, Boogity, Boogity Let's Go Racing Boys

Comment

Justadude:

I'm not a mechanic either but I worked in a call center where I talked with the Service Department of many dealerships. Basically, from what I heard $64/hr is about mid-range. However, $192 does seem high for labor. My advice is to shop around. These prices seemed to vary from shop to shop, even in the same area.
                              My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post

I'm not arguing on the parts, really, since the estimate came with an itemized list, but he said it'd take about 3 hours once they got to it and $64/hr seems just a wee bit excessive.
                                What does "tune up" include? If it's plugs, wires, rotor, check sensors, and all that, no, it's not high. If it doesn't include those things, it is.

$64 per hour is about standard (depending on where you live, of course). $125 materials cost for an oil change and two belts is high. It should be about half that, unless you're talking about a full-sized serpentine belt. A pair of fan belts is much less.

Three hours for diagnostics, oil change, tire rotation, basic diagnostics, and two belts is longer than you would expect. If they throw in a full tune up, then... maybe. It's not unreasonable, at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X