This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth technical.angel View Post
    Is it bad of me to find it REALLY entertaining that the head of the CS department got hit with a fake AV?

Apparently she's smart enough to recognize it as a fake AV, find a website about said fake av, but NOT how to remove it.....

Not at all... [CENSORED] should'a known better!

Comment

Is it bad of me...
      The warning label I saw in a printer more than 25 years ago still applies:

Do not insert personal object.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Is it bad of me to find it REALLY entertaining that the head of the CS department got hit with a fake AV?

Apparently she's smart enough to recognize it as a fake AV, find a website about said fake av, but NOT how to remove it.....
        I got hit with a fake AV yesterday at freaking amazon of all bloody places.

I typed in the title of a book a friend wanted, and was clicking on the amazon link that popped up in google, mainly because I was already in google from something else. Next thing I know, I have what looks like an AVG screen with all sorts of warnings about viruses that it found and I am certain that there was a fix me link.

Knee jerk reaction was to tap off the wireless on the laptop to kick me offline, and shutdown and restart in safe mode to run my real AV program.

Luckily nothing actually got onto the laptop, but I was extremely peeved as it took a chunk of my time to make sure my computer wasn't hit with anything. Hubby just said that yesterday at work something was redirecting everything to my space - they had to log everybody off for about an hour to deal with the mess.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

:: sighs ::

Note to faculty member I was just working with: If you use a nonstandard spelling in your password. Tell me. Sitting there for a half hour putting in the wrong password won't help either of us.
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

luser brings in a laptop:
            Lu: can you have a look at this for me, it works fine when it's plugged in but it won't turn on if i unplug it?
            Me: Sure, just put in on the desk, pass me the charger and i'll plug it in and take a look
            Lu: Charger? oh, I left that at home
            Me: uh....................
            "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
            Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

:: sighs ::

Note to faculty member I was just working with: If you use a nonstandard spelling in your password. Tell me. Sitting there for a half hour putting in the wrong password won't help either of us.
              After two or three of that, I would've just changed her password, if I could easily. Not gonna put up with that garbage.

There's still a few people out there where I agreed to help them with their computers, gratis. (Friends, family, whatnot. I'll do it for my bosses and coworkers while on the clock.) I always make sure I have a backdoor into their computer so I don't have to deal with crap like that; usually in the form of a hidden user (i.e. doesn't show up on Welcome screen) with my password and administrative privileges. If they find a way to remove said user, I tell them before I do anything, I'm restoring that user.

Comment

Faculty calls in, can't get into his email account.

I check his account, everything looks fine.

I ask what exactly is happening. He says he puts in his info, and then nothing happens.I specifically ask, "Is is giving you a username or password error?" And he says no. A few minutes of talking later, he says, "Oh, now I remember, it said something about username or password."

A few minutes of talking later, "Yeah, you have 123456 as my username and 67890 as my password." Stop the train.

"Um, sir, you said email, right? That's the info for <Learning Management System>."

"No, it's for email..."

"But...."

"OH! You're RIGHT!"

Yes, sir, your email address is really 12346@<domain>.edu....

Comment

Waiting to print out a paper until 5 minutes before it's due = Bad

Waiting to print out a paper until 5 minutes before it's due after typing it on a version of Office that's 5 versions old = REALLY BAD

I was able to recover 1 out of 4 pages....

Comment

Waiting to print out a paper until 5 minutes before it's due = Bad

Waiting to print out a paper until 5 minutes before it's due after typing it on a version of Office that's 5 versions old = REALLY BAD

I was able to recover 1 out of 4 pages....
                    I always use a recent version of Go-OO for anything of real importance, unless a superior DEMANDS use of MSO, in which case I keep OD copies of it anyway. If OO ever did that to me, I'd probably break out an RCS next time.

(If you know all those acronyms without looking them up, I'll give you a cookie.)

Comment

"The description field is optional."

"So I put in 'optional'?"

Comment

"Did you get that email from us a few months back, telling you how to change your wireless settings?"

"Yeah, but it was like it was in a foreign language, so I ignored it."

Um... yeah.

I guess instead of writing my guides to suit 3 yr olds, I need to start writing to suit.., what? Pre-natal?

Comment

Given that I can sometimes understand instructions that *are* in a foreign language...

Actually, here's an example.

"Lisää 1/2-tölkillistä vettä, sekoita tasaiseksi ja kuumenna kiehuvaksi. Lisää halutessasi hienonnettua sipulia, sinappia tai tilkka kermaa. Lisämausteiksi sopivat meirami, rosmariini ja basilika."

To help you with context, it's a can of concentrated soup.

Comment

Knowing it's soup, and knowing what I do about making soup from a can, I would hazard a guess of adding half a cup of water, and well, cooking.

Comment

I little longer for most of my D'ohs, but I thought it was freaking hilarious.

"I can't get the syllabus for the class that's supposed to start very soon to open for me."
                              [Insert start of troubleshooting here]
                              "Well, actually, can you just open it up and tell me if I have to do homework before class starts?"
                              "uh... sure. Are you using [LMS] or the website?"
                              "The website."
                              "Okay, one second." [I navigate to the syllabus section of the website.] "Which degree program are you in?"
                              "No, I'm using internet explorer."
                              "I mean, what degree program are you taking classes in?"
                              "Oh. [Degree]."
                              "And where are you taking classes?"
                              "[Location]."
                              "And what cohort are you in?"
                              "Uh.... I dunno."
                              "Okay.., well, what did you put in earlier when you got to it?"
                              "I don't know."
                              "....."

Comment

Knowing it's soup, and knowing what I do about making soup from a can, I would hazard a guess of adding half a cup of water, and well, cooking.
                                According to Google, that's the first bit. Then it goes on about adding onion, mustard and cream. And then more about marjoram, rosemary, and basil to taste.

Finn is such a neat looking language. Wish I knew more than just a few phrases.

^-.-^
                                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                                X