This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Can you read?"

So, this happened about 8 months ago, and I think it's one of my by far most worst SC's ever.

I was working the drive thru closing and we have a double drive thru so I was operating both of them taking orders so I was already pretty stressed considering I hadn't been working here very long.. A lady comes through to order and I can tell right off from the tone of her voice that she might be a problem.

So, she wants a number 1 with a water, so I ring her up for a number 1 with a bottled water since that's we cannot sell tap water in combos. It's the rule. She immediately starts getting really edgy.

SC: I do NOT want a bottled water. I want a glass of water.
    ME: I am sorry but we cannot ring up tap water in combos.
    SC: Are you stupid?
    ME: I'm sorry? No, I am not stupid. Our computer will not allow us to ring up tap water in combos, if you want a combo and a water than you will have to get a bottle water or I will ring them all up separately.
    SC: Can you NOT read?
    ME: Yes I can read fine.
    SC: I said I wanted a number 1 with a water then.
    ME: I will have to ring you up separately.
    SC: Seriously, can you not read?

I just hand the headset over to my manager who happened to be a cool manager who put her in her place. I glared at her through the window (which made her very mad ) and everyone in the store was laughing. I wish I would have just said what one of my co-workers suggested to say "uhhh of course I cant read..thats why we have pictures..duuuh!" haha that would have at least been funny!

Quoth manders View Post
    SC: Seriously, can you not read?
    "I can read. Can you not listen?"

What did the manager say/do to put that little snot in her place?
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I can read, but can you not be a bitch? . People like her need a good smack upside the head. I'm happy your manager put that bitch in her place.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

"Yes, I can read quite well, and what it says on my register is #1 with bottled water only."
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Should have asked her if she could comprehend. xD

Comment

That reminds me of when I worked at Taco Hell when certain customers didn't want to pay for their drinks in their combos. Nope, sorry -- either get the items in the combo seperate or take the drink.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

There are not many phrases guaranteed to induce cold fury in me faster than 'Can't you read?'
              I remember snapping back once with 'A lot better than you can, I do assure you!' (which earned me a 'quiet word' with a manager)
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Condescending comments that imply (or state outright) you aren't competent when the customer is in the wrong are so frustrating. Comments like "Can you read?", "Are you deaf?" etc. made me want to snap at people.

I also once snapped at a customer for talking to me like that. He was ordering a Sundae over the intercom but called it a "Saturday", his special name for it. Thinking I had misheard him over the intercom I asked him to drive up to the window to take his order. When he got to the window and ordered a "Saturday" again and I replied "oh, a Sundae?" he sneered at me "I call it a Saturday, it's a joke, what kind of school did you go to?". Fortunately my flippant "One where we call things by their names" just made the manager laugh.

Comment

You should have given him a Saturday:

http://awfullibrarybooks.net/?p=16764

It's the third photo down on the page. Before you click the link, don't drink anything as I'm not responsible for splattered screens and keyboards.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                    Before you click the link, don't drink anything as I'm not responsible for splattered screens and keyboards.
                    Good thing you warned me, lol.

Comment

Heh.. After handing that to him, it would be funny if you could get away with saying, "THERE'S your Saturday. Now, let me see you shove that thing in your mouth..."

Comment

Oh my, I do believe that's a dildo fashioned from a banana.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Reminds me of the time years ago when I went out to lunch with a few people from work and one if the men - who was a regular at the restaurant and well known by the staff - ordered some kind of sundae for dessert.
                          When it turned up.... someone in the kitchen had stuck the end of a banana and two cherries in the whipped cream on top.....
                          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                            Heh.. After handing that to him, it would be funny if you could get away with saying, "THERE'S your Saturday. Now, let me see you shove that thing in your mouth..."
                            Evil! I love it!
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I've been known to respond to "Are you deaf?" with "What?" Sometimes they'll start to repeat themselves, and then get really pissed off when they realize what I just did.

Quoth emax4 View Post
                              You should have given him a Saturday:
                              That reminds me of the smaller-sized sundaes they used to have (or maybe still do, I haven't eaten there in awhile) at Friendly's, called the "Happy ending." Seriously, someone wasn't thinking when they came up with that name.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X