This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What languages dyall speak?

I can muster up French German Spanish Italian Welsh a little Cornish(our street signs are bilingual so it seeps into the brain..) and I'm trying Dutch and Japanese

Any cool languages you can teach me?Faroese?Maltese?Hawaiian? *

Alabaman don't not kernt as a langu wage even thoze yer all speaks it
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

English and bad English
    Seph
    Taur10
    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

english - US dialect and Brit common [though I can understand geordies and glaswegians because of chatting with them while gaming a glaswegian in full swear mode is fun to listen to.]
      French, Spanish and currently teaching myself German using Duolingo
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Sarcasm and cursing. And I can translate what my manager writes when she leaves instructions.
        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I'm from California but I speak both Southern and Wisconsinite.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

On a more serious note, I can only speak English fluently, but I know enough Spanish to ask my passengers some simple questions, e.g. "Is that okay?", "Are you ready?", street addresses, etc. (ETA: I deliberately mangle "I don't understand Spanish" to put the point across to them: knowing a few phrases doesn't mean I can converse.)

I learned to read some Japanese in my early 20s but I've mostly forgotten it due to lack of use (although I still mostly remember the rules for looking up kanji, thanks to a program I wrote some years back). I'm told spoken Japanese is tons easier than written, but I never had anyone to practice with, and more importantly, no reason to learn.

And I can swear in French a little bit, thanks to a friend's mother back in high school.
            Last edited by Deserted; 06-23-2018, 07:51 PM.
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Australian (in all it's forms including north QLD, Whoop Whoop, Back of Beyond and country-townese), sarcasm, snark, drunk and gibberish.

I can also understand a wide variety of UK & Irish 'english' (super thick accents), even when I am drunk, they are drunk or we are both drunk. The only exceptions to this is the really thick Essex accent, mostly from the older generations. And Cockney rhyming slang. (I swear half the time they are just making it up to trick the tourists. )

Also struggled a little with the older generations in this show. But the accents (dialects?) involved were pretty insular and included a lot of inside slang and several steps away rhyming slang. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Fat_Gypsy_Weddings

I can understand numbers in Italian and hello/goodbye level, but nothing beyond that. I can read more individual words than hear or speak them. I can read 'museum' French, but can't understand it being spoken. I did French revolutions in high school and we read a lot of stuff that was in French with the translations next to it. So I can recognise some words and their general meaning but can't construct a sentence.

Learning languages in school wasn't really a thing until I was in high school. And then it was whatever your school offered. Mine had Indonesian and Italian, where as my brother's had German and an Asian language but I can't remember which one. A few years into high school, Dept of Education started pushing for languages in primary schools. I think that is fantastic. I think it would have been easier for me to pick another language then. Now, it's near impossible for me to pick up spoken language, but it is easier to expand on my ability to read French.
              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

English, Cherokee and some Vietnamese. In addition to COBOL, Fortran IV, RPGII and various other tech languages.
                My youngest son has a talent for languages he can get along in French, Cherokee, Swiss, German, Chinese and Spanish. Right now he's in Hawaii and is learning Japanese, Hawaiian and oddly Portuguese (didn't know there was much Portuguese in HI.)
                Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Texan, English, some Spanish, and very little Czech.

Do "Spanglish" and "Sarcasm" count as languages?

My son knows a little Japanese, and I wouldn't mind learning more Czech.
                  Last edited by mjr; 06-23-2018, 11:33 AM.
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

English fluently, with several years each of Spanish, Latin, and Russian. Really want to learn German.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Fluently, just American English. I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, but I've forgotten most of it from disuse. I tried learning Japanese for a while, but it didn't stick and I've mostly given up.

It is kind of funny, though, when I overhear a conversation in Spanish and pick up on a few words or phrases, or when I'm watching subbed anime and catch a few words before I read the translation. I love how brains work.
                      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

English, and a bit of Polish if you're talking about food
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I can also speak 3 words of Ukrainian. 2 of those words are foods and the last is basically 'shake hands' to a dog.

Nana and Pop were Ukrainian (escaped German work farm during WWII and eventually made it to Australia with help from Oz army at the end of the war) and made dad go to Ukrainian Saturday school to learn the language, etc. He absolutely hated it and refused to make us go when we were kids.

All their dogs only knew commands in Ukrainian until the first grandkid came along. Which is partly why all of us knew how to get Skampi to shake hands in Ukrainian. It was the only command that they couldn't get him to learn in English.
                          A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Fluent - English ('Murrican variant, New Orleans/Yat and some other dialects)

"Tourist" (directions, bathrooms, etc) - Spanish and German

"Tourist plus a tiny bit more" - Japanese
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

English and I am learning Dutch. I can read it better than I can think of the words to speak it.
                              "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Working...
                              X