Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

..but ..But ...I'm a Senior Citizen B****!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
    AARP sent me a membership form ... when I was 28.
    Don't feel too bad. I remember reading about a man in his 20's who signed up for AARP. According to what I read, he was elegible for any discounts offered to AARP members (cheap insurance was his reason I think), but the AARP would not formally represent him until he hit the magic age. One of these days, I'll get around to looking into it...

Comment

How does that work? He can get their member card but no discounts until the age? Or...sorry. Reading comprehension fail I guess.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        If I want to offer "senior citizen discounts" to people 35 and over at Jester's Tavern, that is my right to do so, and anyone who wants to take advantage of it can. If, on the other hand, I want to reserve such discounts to anyone 72.5 and up, I can do that as well. It is MY business, and MY decision to offer discounts (or not) to people based on age, so I can set the bar however high or low I want. Likewise, there is nothing requiring any business to offer such discounts. I know that neither one of my bars offers such discounts, for food or booze, though we do have local discounts for Key West residents, regardless of age.
        I can see a couple problems with the bolded items. You can set the bar however high or low you want, but if it's not at a height where people can comfortably sit, and put their drinks on it, you'll drive away customers. Also, if your "Key West resident" discount doesn't require a minimum age of 21 (I'm assuming that since it's a bar, rather than a restaurant with a liquor license, you have to be of age to be on the premises), you could get into a lot of trouble.

Quoth Jester View Post
        The generally accepted age of retirement in the U.S. is 65, but there is no law requiring this across the board (I am sure there are some jobs where this is a hard age ceiling)
        A PIC at an airline is required to be no older than 60. First officer can be older, but most airlines don't want a "4-striper" who can't be put in either seat as required.

Quoth Jester View Post
        Something I probably won't have to worry about for some time, as I have been carded for alcohol as recently as a couple of weeks ago, and I'm 42.
        Bit of a geek, but have you ever, when handing over your ID, told the person carding you "Here's THE ANSWER about my age"?
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          I can see a couple problems with the bolded items. You can set the bar however high or low you want, but if it's not at a height where people can comfortably sit, and put their drinks on it, you'll drive away customers. Also, if your "Key West resident" discount doesn't require a minimum age of 21 (I'm assuming that since it's a bar, rather than a restaurant with a liquor license, you have to be of age to be on the premises), you could get into a lot of trouble.
          Okay, I am going to assume you are being facetious, but on the off chance you aren't, I'll address those two comments.

First, of course I was referring to "setting the bar" as the required age my hypothetical tavern would offer senior discounts at.

Secondly, you assume wrongly, as both of my jobs are bar/restaurants, with the food and liquor sales percentages being about 50%-50%. People under the legal age of 21 can come into either establishment, they can order food and non-alcoholic drinks, and they can make use of the locals discount merely by asking for it and proffering their local ID. The only things they can't do are order alcoholic beverages and/or sit at the bar proper.

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Bit of a geek, but have you ever, wh en handing over your ID, told the person carding you "Here's THE ANSWER about my age"?
          Um, no. Why would I?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            Bit of a geek, but have you ever, when handing over your ID, told the person carding you "Here's THE ANSWER about my age"?
            Quoth Jester View Post
            Um, no. Why would I?
            You're 42. Did you forget your towel with your wallet?
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Um, no. Why would I?
              This is why

dale: If anyone on this board always knows where is towel is, I'd bet Jester is among them
              Last edited by EricKei; 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                This is why

dale: If anyone on this board always knows where is towel is, I'd bet Jester is among them
                Jennie knows!

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  You're 42. Did you forget your towel with your wallet?
                  Don't know how I missed that one.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  If anyone on this board always knows where is towel is, I'd bet Jester is among them
                  Damn straight!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    Okay, I am going to assume you are being facetious, but on the off chance you aren't, I'll address those two comments.
                    Was I being facetious? In Key West in August, is an air conditioner more important than a furnace?
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Was I being facetious? In Key West in August, is an air conditioner more important than a furnace?
                      You could be trying to sell him a swamp cooler. (evaporative)

Comment

Working...
                      X