Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Salt-y SC, the ripoff attempt, SC needs a GPS, or a phone book....and more...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post

I am a big proponent of good customer service.
    Honestly, I have no problem with customer service. Good customer service. But in my opinion, it's a give and take.

But if someone asks for a Burger, Fries, and a Coke, wouldn't it be my responsibility, from a customer service standpoint, to give them that? If they ask for it separately, I'm giving them exactly what they ask for. Right?

Being a customer does not absolve said customer from certain responsibilities (reading a menu, for instance).

Do I have to do this? No. Do I think it is better customer service? Absolutely. And I pride myself on providing excellent customer service.
    In all honesty, I was young when I was doing that. I guess I think about it differently. I have no problem, as I stated earlier, with providing good customer service. But there are limits, in my opinion. You have told us many (entertaining?) stories about unruly patrons and SCs who you basically did your best to appease, but it wasn't good enough for them. That is their problem, not yours. They are not the President, They aren't royalty. They're people, and they aren't above you (or me), regardless as to whether or not they want us to think that.

You say it's not your problem if someone can't read the sign or calculate the difference. You are correct. But many people are in a rush (especially in a fast food setting), or they could be tired, or could have just gotten off work, or might be distracted by their kids, or might have something else on their mind, or might just be lousy at math.
    I had a very similar circumstance happen to me just yesterday. I took my son to one of those Taco Bell/Pizza Hut combo places. I wanted to get him a kid's meal. What I ended up getting was the pizza with the bread sticks and the drink. I didn't realize until afterward That they had a kid's meal. That wasn't Pizza Hut's problem. That was my problem. Did I complain? No. What did I learn? That the next time I'm in the Taco Bell/ Pizza Hut combo restaurant, to look more carefully at the menu.

But they know they want a Rhino burger, T-Rex fries, and a Brontosaurus coke, so they don't bother looking at the menu board, since they already had their mind made up.

Make sense?
    It does, but at the same time, if a lot of these people have been here before, they ought to know. Besides, as I said earlier, unless you're looking straight ahead when you order (or NOT looking at the menu board), most menu boards have pictures on them, and most people (I'm sure) know that fast food restaurants have combo meals.
    Last edited by mjr; 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      They are not the President, They aren't royalty. They're people, and they aren't above you (or me), regardless as to whether or not they want us to think that.
      I've met some pretty "important" people in my life and I don't care who they are, I don't consider any of them "above" anyone else. They may have money and fame but, believe me, they are just as likely to be an asshat as they next guy. It doesn't matter if you're a pauper or a prince, you want my respect, you have to earn it.

Comment

From a customer standpoint, I've had a cashier or waitstaff point out that what I ordered is available as a combo or special, or if ordered slightly differently would be cheaper, usually just something I overlooked (in a hurry, not paying attention, or just zoned out). Is it my fault for not seeing the difference & ordering that way? Sure. Do I appreciate having it pointed out that I could save a bit of money? Absolutely!

And I always thank the person sincerely, and definitely leave with a positive impression of that particular restaurant. Which may or may not be of concern to the worker. And my individual experience has little impact on the business. But in spite of all the SCs that can never be pleased, in general, a place that has more satisfied customers will be more likely to do well, and continue to provide employment to more people.

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

er, i have to be in the boat of people that would say to just combo it for them. regardless of reason why. just seems like if they are ordering all the items within a combo it makes for good customer service.
          kinda like when we have givaway days at work. even if they didn't know about it or ask for it, they still get a givaway item because it's a deal we are offering.
          Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

I was once at a restaurant and ordered a burger and a drink. The guy at the register (who was unfortunately the manager or I would have complained) insisted that I HAD to get a combo because it HAD to be cheaper - "that's the whole point of them!"

I gave in and let him put it through, but realised later that I paid fifty cents more than I would have for the two items alone. Still, a few other times I have gone there, ordered the burger and drink, and been given the fries so I figure I've come out ahead in the end.
            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Ok I know this got somewhat off topic when it comes to the cans of pop, etc. I have something to add to that however. 2 Liters. I've often done the math, especially the 'off brand'. I can get a 2 liter for 1.25 most times, sometimes $1..this is for NAME brand. 3 x 1.25 = 3.75. For 202 (about) oz of pop. Most of the time a 12 pack is 3.99 plus tax, for 144 oz. Or I can get 2 2liter for anywhere from $2-2.50 (135 oz which is 9 oz less). Now if you are talking 'off brand' they can run around .78c...the math is hard to ignore. Often, unless there is an awesome sell going on for cans..the 2 liter is a better buy. What is more, unlike cans which go flat if you don't drink it all (though they can be poured into other containers I guess to prevent that), you just cap the two liter after pouring a glass and there you go..doesn't go flat. You don't have to toss the left over drink either.

Now, I realize that cans are recyclable, and that the 2 liter bottles are a bit harder on the environment..so if you are conscientious about such..the cans are better. I reuse the bottles however, often making koolaide and putting them in the bottles (after a very very good rinse)..or to store water. Plastic is often recyclable also...if cleaned properly.
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

For those of you saying that's what the customer ordered and its their responsibility, what about the customers who have vision problems? My mother cannot see fine print or hell about any type of print anymore. She has to have special visual aides at work, but she can theoretically drive on her own (but it had better be a damn big emergency to do so!). Obviously places such as Mc'Ds that she is familiar with she's gonna order a combo. but if it's a new place she's not familiar with she can't just look at the menu. Printed menus don't do jack for her, she cannot read them.

For a case like that I would be pissed and certainly not go back if the cashier wouldn't tell her that x, y, and Z are cheaper as a combo just cause she didn't know the 'magic words'. Never assume the person in front of you is perfectly fine, disabilities are not always visible to the naked eye.
                "I try to take reality one day at time, but sometimes several days attack me at once."

Comment

Quoth Rosakala View Post
                  For those of you saying that's what the customer ordered and its their responsibility, what about the customers who have vision problems? My mother cannot see fine print or hell about any type of print anymore. She has to have special visual aides at work, but she can theoretically drive on her own (but it had better be a damn big emergency to do so!). Obviously places such as Mc'Ds that she is familiar with she's gonna order a combo. but if it's a new place she's not familiar with she can't just look at the menu. Printed menus don't do jack for her, she cannot read them.

For a case like that I would be pissed and certainly not go back if the cashier wouldn't tell her that x, y, and Z are cheaper as a combo just cause she didn't know the 'magic words'. Never assume the person in front of you is perfectly fine, disabilities are not always visible to the naked eye.
                  But you can't assume that everyone has special needs either. You need to treat everyone equally unless otherwise instructed, or use common sense. If a person with dark glasses and cane was my next customer, I would ask them, "do you know what you want to order or would you like me to read off the menu for you?" What if the cashier were to read the menu aloud for every customer? Do you know how long that would take? What if you were three customers behind that person, had NO vision problems and were in a bit of a hurry? Then what? Nobody is a mind reader. I agree that mentioning a cheaper price is the better move, as it tells the customer, "Hey, we're not out to cheat you, but to win you over by saving money", but do you assume that the customer knows everything, or assume that they don't know everything/anything?

Comment

I say that if you order the burger, fries, and drink that would normally come in a combo, but separately, you deserve to pay more. She says that it should be a courtesy that if the food is ordered that way (i.e. separately), that it should be rung up as a combo.
                    I say... just ask if they want it as a combo. assuming the combo is cheaper etc.

cos some people DO say they want "x, y, and z" and mean the combo while others just say "combo number X". and others really want them as separate items cos that's what they want

And some customers are just more inclined to come back when an employee helps them save money.
                    For example, back in my home town I was at the local video store and for the life of me I COULD NOT FIND the Xmen trilogy. I picked out each movie individually and went to the register.

The employee could have charged me for them all, but instead he said "the trilogy set is right over here" and I ended up saving well over $10. needless to say, i like going to that brand of video store because of things like that. i still go there first over those kiosk-style machines.
                    Last edited by PepperElf; 02-04-2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

In my job I assume the customer has absolutely no knowledge. (and I'm often right sadly.) But I don't treat them any different than someone who is knowledgeable, I treat someone the way I want to be treated, with respect and courtesy. I simply change how I say things without trying so sound like I'm patronizing the other party.

That being said you also shouldn't assume everyone has a disability, that would be wrong. Just be aware that there are those out there whom you may have no idea are disabled. Whats the saying 'assume makes and ass out of u and me'?
                      "I try to take reality one day at time, but sometimes several days attack me at once."

Comment

You are quite right about the 2 liters. I've been doing it that way for years.
                        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                        X