Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

..but ..But ...I'm a Senior Citizen B****!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
    A "Senior Citizen" is defined as a person who is older than 80 years of age....
    Being in your 60's is way too young to be considered "senior" IMHO
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      I've always maintained that "old" is about 20 years older than you are.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Solacelawlz View Post
        *back story* not sure what it is now, but senior citizen discount at the king of burgers used to be 60+ and we were told by corporate no sliding on this because people were too lenient in the past aka losing the company money.

*this is about the time i knew it was gonna get bad cause she was only 52....*

me: mam you have to be 60+ for the 10cent coffee.
        old lady: Oo i always get it... but.. But I'M A SENIOR CITIZEN YOU LITTLE BITCH!!

boss: is there a problem?
        old lady: hell yea there is, this little shit won't get me my 10cent coffee!!
        boss: mam are you 60+? the company is very clear on this.
        old lady: fine whatever... this coffee sux anyways i'm taking my 10cent else where.
        boss: ok mam, that's fine too, you and your 10cents have a good day!
        I guess getting "outed" on not qualifying for the SENIOR discount is what triggered her SOPHOMORIC behaviour.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My husband and I are five years apart.

He's been called my father more times than I want to think about. (Or me, his daughter. Same deal.)

I'm blonde enough that no grey shows, though my best friend once inspected me for grey hairs last year, and couldn't see anything she'd call 'grey' rather than 'pale blonde' or 'white-blonde'.
          I have very little in the way of wrinkles, and none you can see from conversation distance. Ditto for age-related discolouration. But I still have minor acne signs.

He is salt-and-pepper, hair-colour wise. With more salt than pepper. He has very visible age discolouration, and his spine is bent. (Has been since he grew up extremely quickly as a young teen, but it makes him look older.)
          His hands are notably arthritic, with the knobbly knuckles and all. And also age-spotted.
          Add that he tends to wear a hat, and uses suspenders in preference to belts....

... and that I'm more likely than not to be in jeans and a nice shirt, and 'school shoe' like shoes, or even ankle boots ....

Yeah. I can tell which of us is going to be offered senior discount before he's fifty, and which is going to still be showing her card at seventy.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My dad got IDed once when he asked for senior discount. He's well over sixty, and it made his day. XD
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Wow, if 52 is a senior citizen, what does that make those of us who passed that already? Geeezz....
              Elegantly preserved
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

She's gonna be the joy of the nursing home when she really IS a senior citizen. I can envision all the nurses and CNAs arguing over who gets assigned her room on a daily basis . . .

What an ungrateful cow. When she really does hit that age and possibly the health issues that come along with it, I hope she's sorry for acting like that.

But we all know she probably won't be.
                The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

I'm going to deny being a senior citizen as often as possible, and will no doubt be one of the ones who gets slightly offended by being offered said discount. But I won't be nearly is nasty as this woman.

Comment

Age perception is a funny, funny thing.

I went for a two week holiday in Las Vegas last year to celebrate turning 50. My friend and I went out the night of my birthday (hell, we went out every night, lol!) and I got asked for ID when I went to buy a drink. It made my day!

(I'm assuming it was an 'ask everyone' situation, but hey, you takes what you can gets!)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      Especially since the common understanding of "senior citizen" is 65.
                      A "Senior Citizen" is defined as a person who is older than 60 years of age.
                      Actually, there is no hard fast rule about what is and what is not a senior citizen, at least as far as age is concerned. I have seen different places and organizations define senior citizens as 50+, 55+, 60+, 65+, and various other ages.

The actual definition of senior citizen is someone who is elderly, presumably retired and/or living on a pension. But there is no definitive age for this title.

Also, when it comes to senior citizen discounts, the company offering the discounts can make the qualifying age whatever they want it to be. If I want to offer "senior citizen discounts" to people 35 and over at Jester's Tavern, that is my right to do so, and anyone who wants to take advantage of it can. If, on the other hand, I want to reserve such discounts to anyone 72.5 and up, I can do that as well. It is MY business, and MY decision to offer discounts (or not) to people based on age, so I can set the bar however high or low I want. Likewise, there is nothing requiring any business to offer such discounts. I know that neither one of my bars offers such discounts, for food or booze, though we do have local discounts for Key West residents, regardless of age. Many other local restaurants and bars do likewise, with the one requirement being proof of residency, usually an ID or such.

But yeah, back on topic...no hard definition. The generally accepted age of retirement in the U.S. is 65, but there is no law requiring this across the board (I am sure there are some jobs where this is a hard age ceiling), and many people retire before or after this age.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Wow, if 52 is a senior citizen, what does that make those of us who passed that already? Geeezz....
                      Well, technically speaking, it would make you senior citizens.

Being in your 50's is way too young to be considered "senior".
                      Quoth dalesys View Post
                      Really, that depends on the people. My parents are 77 and 81, and they are young. I have met many people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s who are "old people."

So yeah, for some people it would be too young to be considered senior, but for others, not so much of a stretch.

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                      I'm going to deny being a senior citizen as often as possible, and will no doubt be one of the ones who gets slightly offended by being offered said discount.
                      Something I probably won't have to worry about for some time, as I have been carded for alcohol as recently as a couple of weeks ago, and I'm 42. So, much like my mother and one of my coworkers who don't look their age, I am probably not going to, either. Hell, I do believe my coworker is 54 and 55, and no one is going to be offering him or assuming he qualifies for a senior citizen discount any time soon, based both upon his appearance and his personality.

So, yeah, I am sure I will be many years past "senior citizen" age before I start having people assume I qualify for such discounts.

Assuming, of course, that I live that long. Family history and personal lifestyle may have something else to say about that.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        As remote as the possibility is, if I ever own a business, I will have a few special policies in place (enforced by signage, if need be):
                        *snippy*
                        Ohh yes please, can I work for you?
                        Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                        It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          80 is the new 40!! =D can't stop won't stop!

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Elegantly preserved
                          lmao love this!! =D

Quoth LesserSouthernFroglet View Post
                          Age perception is a funny, funny thing.
                          so so true!! i still get carded myself. hell my friends even joke and always say "i'd card you for milk!" ..yes go ahead and laugh i can't deny haha i just hit 28 but could prolly still pass for a teenager. think my lil bro has more hair on his face than me and he's 12 years younger haha

I probably shoulda mentioned it in the original post but i heard the "old lady" came back a few days later for coffee and paid the full price, minus the crazy

Comment

Heh, the day we got married happened to be my birthday.
                            We went to a place in down-town Little Rock, Arkansas to celebrate.
                            I got carded when I went for beers - I was 32 that day...call me happy? Too right I was!

Comment

I'm 39 and people usually guess me at 29, 30. And yet I never get carded. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm 70 to get offered the senior discount. That's ok with me.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth rapana1 View Post
                                Ohh yes please, can I work for you?
                                But, of course

I'll even have a special space on apps -- under the "office use only" section, It'll have a "referred by" space. Any that say "CS.com" in there move to the top of the pile
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X