This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counting out change

OK, seriously, what is up with customers and paying with coins? Not trying to discriminate, but especially with elderly customers, they'll yank a crapload of coins out of their nasty backpockets, shove them at me and force ME to pick them out of their grubby hands and count it out for THEM. Are people really that lazy and pathetic that they can't count out a few flippin' pennies on their own? I didn't know that on top of being a cashier, I'm suddenly a mathematician as well...

And while we're on the subject of counting out change, what really irks me more than anything is when they take 10 frickin' hours to pull a few cents out of their purse just so that they can get another dollar back from the register rather than coins. Meanwhile, there are tons of customers behind them who are already pissed off to begin with. And because of these turtles, they become even mroe pissy and then proceed to take it out on ME as if it's my fault that the idiot in front of them moves at a glacial pace. Why are people so ridiculous? Just hand me another flippin' dollar and take the change for Christ's sake! What's so bad about having a few extra cents? Just take them to a Coinstar or something!

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone else find this extremely annoying?

When I worked in my old retail job, people would pay large orders in cash. Sometimes thousands of pounds. Then proceed to draw a wad of money and stand and count it. I told them numerous times I'd have to count it...either count it before hand, take the right amount of cash or use debit. Also no, there is no discount for cash because I have to spend 20 minutes counting it which costs the company. So no you get nothing you arse-face

Comment

As far as the elderly go, some of them are arthritic and have trouble manipulating small items like coins. As for their glacial pace, well, they're elderly. It happens.

I understand not wanting more change, as there are times when my pocket is setting off metal detectors from across town. And paper is always easier to deal with.

I am not saying this excuses all of the customers who do this. Just keep in mind that not everyone can move at the speed with which you do.

(While my parents are at the age that could be considered "elderly"--77 and 81--they do not fall into this category. Sure, they're slower than they once were, but they are still far quicker than the stereotypical "old person," and if they were counting out coins, they'd do it at a normal pace. And my stepfather would probably have you in stitches while he was doing it.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

This is why I'd always fall to this (only applies to USA coins):

Keep 3 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickle, and 4 pennies together in little bags, and keep about four or five bags of this combination on hand - the rest goes into a jar/dish at home.

With this combination of 10 coins, you can make ANY cent that you'd come across. Makes it a whole lot easier than searching for that one elusive nickle, then giving up and tossing out another dollar - AND I always know I can make the cents. No, "Oh wait I think I have the change... whoops no I don't."
        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

As someone who stands behind the cash register, I sympathize with Starfire. I've also been in line behind one of these sloooooww customers and cursed a blue streak -- mentally.

But Jester makes some very valid points. I would never, ever let on, even by a facial expression, that I'm annoyed at their slow pace.

Because in all likelihood, that is going to be me someday.

Comment

Quoth Starfire View Post
            ...Does anyone else find this extremely annoying?
            Yes. It's even worse when they have to run to their car to get the change and leave a line waiting behind them.
            I'm sorry, but I've reached my maximum allowable exposure to stupidity limit for the day. I'll have to get back to you tomorrow.

Comment

On the flipside, I've been a coin-carrier (as a young teenager) who would go straight to an empty self-checkout...only to have people line up behind me and grumble when there were OTHER lines to get in.
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I get a lot of change counters, but most of them are Canadians who don't want to take their American coin back home with them. It's annoying at times but understandable. What's most annoying though is when they mix their currencies in their wallet or purse and have to carefully pick out their American coin from their Canadian coin. Or Americans who just got back and have a bunch of Canadian coin in their wallets they have to sort through.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Look at it this way... they're not in a hurry, so take advantage of the situation and take your time, take a breather. If they bitch about being in a hurry, stop counting ask them to provide full bills instead of change.

Comment

I used to work in a fast-paced coffee place. We often had lines of 10+ people. When the elderly were counting a little slowly, I'd make a gesture with my hand that I could do it. Most took the offer and we were done faster. Those who wanted to do it themselves ignored me. Worked well both ways.

Comment

OP, your post describes my entire last weekend. I guess if people don't handle money all day, they are going to be not good at counting it. It's annoying, though.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Also, all my transactions are timed.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                          But Jester makes some very valid points. I would never, ever let on, even by a facial expression, that I'm annoyed at their slow pace.

Because in all likelihood, that is going to be me someday.
                          Not me. I'm gonna be the old drunk saying, "Ah, screw it. Here's another dollar!"

Quoth b2addm View Post
                          Yes. It's even worse when they have to run to their car to get the change and leave a line waiting behind them.
                          I pointed out some scenarios that defended the slow coin counters from the OP's thread.

This, however, is completely indefensible. You simply do NOT make people wait longer by running out to your car to get change. No, not, nyet, nada, never, no way. That's where you bite the bullet and break out another dollar bill, and take the change, you cheapass fucktard.

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          Also, all my transactions are timed.
                          If your bosses take things into account other than just the transaction times, I can understand this.

If, however, all they look at is transaction times, they are a bunch of idiotic douche nugget clock whores.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth b2addm View Post
                            This is entirely different from the OP and quite inexcusable. Either use a bloody debit/credit card (assuming those will cover the purchase) or do a quick count-up before you get to the point of having to pay.

Although I do feel sorry for the few customers I've had (in the supermarket) who've gotten everything totaled up and suddenly ... don't have their wallet. That's probably no more excusable than b2addm's customers, but ... it's still funnier, for some reason.
                            Probably the expression on their faces.

Comment

I've been a cashier for far longer than is good for me. I can almost always tell at a glance if that handful of coins is enough change. So many times the customer doesn't see any quarters and thinks they don't have enough change. Well, you've got a dozen dimes, about ten nickels and fifteen pennies, I assure you that yes, you do have enough change! Here, put it on the counter and I'll count it for you! (And I do so, where they can see it clearly, and they are usually quite happy to let me count it out for them.)

It can be annoying, but I vastly prefer it to those jerks who bring up a 50ยข pack of gum and pay with a $100 bill first thing in the morning. Or the ones who pay for a $20 order in all small coins! Take it to the bank already!

And yes, the schmucks who leave their payment out in the car deserve a shoe leather enema. How can you be so foolish as to leave your payment in the car when you know you will be buying something?! (Not to mention, increasing the likelihood of your car being broken into...!)
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X