This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Shredder

I must say, I haven't encountered a lot of SCs in our hotel lately! Maintenance, corporate and management have still been getting a lot of complaints. Probably just the slow season....
    But I do have one! There's this old dude that is a long term stay. Every day he goes downstairs to the lobby and sits. We have a variety of magazines out for people to leaf through on the table. He takes each magazine, reads it carefully, then shreds it to little bits and throws the bits behind the couch. When he's finished with the magazines, he goes to the leftover newspapers and shreds thems too with his fingers. Then behind the couch it goes.
    It drives the housekeeping and maintenance crazy because they're the ones who have to clean it up. We call him the Shredder. We have plenty of exta magazines, so it's not that, but why does he throw them behind the couch? Reminds me of a little kid. Maybe he has dementia. But when spoken to, he speaks and acts normally, except for this one thing.
    Personally, I don't why the management doesn't tell him off, but I suppose they feel sorry for him.Still it's strange. At least he's not peeing on the couch like Old Pee Guy from last year. :\
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

not only that but he's destroying YOUR magazines.

Comment

Management should tell him off. Those aren't his magazines. He's destroying hotel property.

Though since he's long-term, they have to go through a whole set of serving notice and all the fun eviction procedures, which may be more trouble than it's worth.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

God forbid you say something to the guy....

Comment

They should start adding the cost of the magazines to his rent. Also, if he usually comes down around the same time each day, put the magazines behind the desk for an hour. If he asks for one, let him buy it. If he asks why, tell him 'To cover the salary of the extra person that must clean up the mess you make destroying hotel property."

Comment

You don't even have to go that far. Put them behind the counter, and when he asks where they are, tell him you are all out of magazines.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth jiarby View Post
              God forbid you say something to the guy....
              The OP probably isn't allowed to. Management would have to.
              Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
              You don't even have to go that far. Put them behind the counter, and when he asks where they are, tell him you are all out of magazines.
              "Yeah, some jerk's been tearing them to pieces and throwing the pieces all over the place, then we're stuck cleaning up the mess. Some people, huh?"
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Too bad he isn't crazy enough to eat the little shredded bits, if he was, the problem would solve itself
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Send the Ninja Turtles after the guy.
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                    Bonus points if they're in full view of him behind the counter, but you repeatedly tell him, straight-faced, "We're all out of magazines."

Hopefully the logic bomb will make his brain explode like in Scanners.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Why is that so weird? My late Musette used to shred papers and mag-....

Oh, wait; Musette was a cat, whereas this guy....

You're right.

Comment

Maybe he's trying to ease stress, it's hard being the only person to know about the monsters that come and eat the moments that have already passed. I mean, those langoliers are TERRIFYING!
                        My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                        It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                          Send the Ninja Turtles after the guy.
                          Darn, beat me to it!
                          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                            Maybe he's trying to ease stress, it's hard being the only person to know about the monsters that come and eat the moments that have already passed. I mean, those langoliers are TERRIFYING!
                            Thank god, I thought I was the only one who thought of this.
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                              . I mean, those langoliers are TERRIFYING!
                              Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                              Thank god, I thought I was the only one who thought of this.
                              That makes two of us glad we aren't the only ones thinking that.
                              Though, I do admit, tearing paper into strips does have some therapeutic value, I'll only use my own paper to do it.
                              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                              X