This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible check scammer

The Check Lady thread reminded me of this guy, but I feel he deserves his own thread.

SC: I lost my debit card, do you take checks?
    Me: Yes.
    SC: Sweet! *orders nearly $100 worth of stuff, including gas, snacks, and a phone card*
    Me: *Runs check, it comes back declined* sorry, your check declined, do you have another form of payment?
    SC: What?! No, I don't the check's all I have, can you run it again?
    Me: I can try, but if there's not enough money in your account then it's not going to go through.
    SC: Well then, I don't want any of this stuff! *Pushes snacks across the counter towards me, and storms out*

I don't know if he was genuinely surprised that he didn't have enough money in his account, if he was deliberately writing a bad check, or If he just didn't know how checks work. Either way, I had to void that huge transaction out, and he was rude about it.
    It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

I bet he lost his debit card, someone found it, drained all the money out of his account, hence why his check was being declined.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
      I bet he lost his debit card, someone found it, drained all the money out of his account, hence why his check was being declined.
      That's entirely possible, and what I was thinking.
      If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
        I disagree. If he really thought the money was there, he would have been worried instead of rude. His behavior says scammer to me also.

Comment

no doubt he was trying to write a bad check (with no intention of paying it), or at minimum; was trying to kite a check.
          “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
          ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
            I disagree. If he really thought the money was there, he would have been worried instead of rude. His behavior says scammer to me also.
            Not necessarily. I had a woman whose cards kept declining and she was going "OMG this is bullshit! What the hell are you going to do about it?"

She knew she had money in there, but she wasn't worried, she was just all kinds of pissed off and rude.
            My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
            It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Lady_Foxfire View Post
              SC: I lost my debit card, do you take checks?
              Me: Yes.
              SC: Sweet!
              SC: ... All right! I'm so glad you take checks! I was worried that you might actually want MONEY! *whew*
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I saw a lot of older folks (folks of all ages really but older people including my mom seemed to do it more), would actually write their pin on the back of their debit cards...

I got my mom to stop that nonsense the second I saw her pin there.

Comment

Now if you wanted to be sneaky. you'd write the wrong PIN on there, so that if someone finds/steals the card and tries to get cash, it'll get the card shut down after X wrong attempts.

(I remember in the old days when the ATMs used to actually retain your card until the end of the transaction, rather than just dipping it like now. If you put the wrong PIN three times in a row, it ate your card and you had to get it back by mail. The sound of doom doesnt have to involve thunder and earthquakes: that's it right there, that little muffled clink as your card hits the tray in the bottom of the machine.)

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    Now if you wanted to be sneaky. you'd write the wrong PIN on there, so that if someone finds/steals the card and tries to get cash, it'll get the card shut down after X wrong attempts.

(I remember in the old days when the ATMs used to actually retain your card until the end of the transaction, rather than just dipping it like now. If you put the wrong PIN three times in a row, it ate your card and you had to get it back by mail. The sound of doom doesnt have to involve thunder and earthquakes: that's it right there, that little muffled clink as your card hits the tray in the bottom of the machine.)
                    i'm laughing at this cos on one of my other message boards a guy (X) did this on purpose to someone else (Y). Y had left the card in the machine but when X tried to tell him about it Y started yelling at him and stormed off. So... yeah, X "tried" to enter the pin 3 times and shoooop, into the machine the card went.

Petty perhaps but, in a way... it means Y's card can't be stolen now, right?

but seriously, why does the cashier have to 'fix' this for customers? they're not the bank and it's the bank they have to take this up with. cashiers don't have magical banking unicorns in their back pockets.

Comment

Quoth Josh View Post
                      was trying to kite a check.
                      This is what I figure. He didn't realize that with electronic checking if you don't have the funds when the check is run it gets declined.

Quoth barainga View Post
                      I saw a lot of older folks (folks of all ages really but older people including my mom seemed to do it more), would actually write their pin on the back of their debit cards...

I can top that. When I was working crew at a McD's we had a new manager that marked the three combination numbers on the dial of the big safe in the office because she could not remember the combination.

When I saw what she had done I let the store manager know. I believe the new manager was let go on the spot and I spent the next hour trying to scrub the safe dial so it didn't show the combination.
                      You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                        That's a great idea. And to make it really work, you have to write it in such bad handwriting that it could be 8ish combinations... you know, just make it ambiguous enough to make the guy think a digit could be a 9 or a 4, or a 5 or a 6, and so on... so the guy genuinely tries a bunch of different combos before he's locked out.

Oh, and maybe make it look like it might be upside down, so you use just 1's, 6's, 9's, and 0's.
                        Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                        Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                        Fiancee: What?!
                        Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth barainga View Post

My mother used to say the numbers out loud, kind of under her breath, as she entered them. I had a really hard time trying to get her to stop that.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                            My gut feeling tells me he was trying to scam you and was not aware that it is possible to run the checks right away. Sucks to be him!
                            Wouldn't surprise me at all. I don't know of any businesses that take cheques anymore and I definitely wasn't aware that you can run a cheque immediately.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                              I definitely wasn't aware that you can run a cheque immediately.
                              Then I hope you're sitting down for this next part:

Some places not only run the check immediately, they don't need the actual piece of paper afterwards. They then hand it back to the customer.

Comment

Working...
                              X