X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from the Call Centre

Hello again colleagues!

I have been away from this site for a while, but I am now back, with stories to relate.

A few years ago I was made redundant from the Civil Service. I was therefore forced to find employment elsewhere, and worked in both the private and voluntary sectors on a range of jobs all of which had their fair share of SCs.

For nine months I worked in a call centre, and it was in this job, not surprisingly, that I encountered the greatest volume of SCs. I have many stories, all of which I will relate on this site over the coming weeks and months, for your amusement and entertainment.

As call centres go, this was a good one. The company cared about its staff, and working conditions and pay were at the upper end of the scale. The company took on many campaigns on behalf of various clients, mainly charities and retailers, and the campaign I worked on was for a major UK newspaper. The job was customer service to subscribers of this paper, inbound calls and emails only. The way the subscription worked was you took out a subscription package and, instead of the paper being delivered to you, you would be sent vouchers which you could exchange for the paper at your local store. (Home delivery was possible, but only within the London area.) There were various packages all involving different combinations of products and benefits and online/tablet versions etc., and also various offers and incentives. As you can probably infer the potential for all this to go wrong was immense, i.e. customers receiving the wrong vouchers, not receiving vouchers at all, newsagents refusing to accept vouchers, and papers not being delivered to customers in the London area, drivers and delivery men not turning up, customers payments failing, customers being over- or wrongly charged, etc. etc.

The cancellation conditions were quite strict: customers had to give three months (yes, THREE MONTHS!) notice in writing to cancel. They were informed of this when they took out the subscription, and it was in the terms and conditions (albeit in very small print), but, as you can probably imagine, this didn’t stop SCs complaining about it and trying to get out of subscriptions early, etc. etc. The number of times I was threatened with legal action were without number. The first time it happened I spoke to my (excellent) team leader Liz (not her real name) about it:

‘Liz… this customer I just had says he’s going to sue me, my manager i.e. you, the company and the paper.’

Liz didn’t even say anything, just looked at me with a wide grin and a ‘nuh-uh!’ shake of her head and I simply went back to work. Threats of legal action didn’t bother me after that.

As I said I have many stories about the SCs I encountered in this job. I will split them up over several posts, as this one is long enough already!

After a week of pretty intensive and thorough training and two days listening in to calls with more experienced colleagues, I was ready to hit the phones and so one morning I went live. Call volumes weren’t high at that time and we each got between 6 to 12 calls per hour, which would take from one to ten (or sometimes more) minutes to deal with, plus time afterwards updating records on the screen. In between calls we were expected to deal with emails so overall we were kept busy but it wasn’t too onerous (except at times of crisis when we would be slammed).

So that morning I logged in and put my headset on and waited with some apprehension for my first call. And my first ever call turned out to be the angriest customer I ever dealt with! No other subsequent SC ever came close in terms of sheer titanic, apoplectic, out-of-proportion, shrieking, thundering RAGE. I thought for a time it was a wind-up, or a test; but, no, the customer was real - and was REALLY angry.

My headset beeps and I spout the usual welcome spiel: ‘Good morning welcome to [Name of paper] how can I help you? (To be honest I have completely forgotten the spiel, thank God, but it was something like that). I didn’t even get to the end of the spiel before the customer SCREAMED down the phone:

SC: WHERE ARE MY VOUCHERS? WHERE ARE MY VOUCHERS? I haven’t got my vouchers and I’ve been on hold for TWENTY MINUTES [rubbish, more like two] blargleargleaaaaaaarrghhaaaaaaaa!!!!!

ME: I’m sorry, madam, I’ll look into it for you, could you please tell me your Customer Priority Number? [This piece of bullshit, the CPN, was merely the reference number on the vouchers, but the paper was so asskissing to its middle class customer base that they gave it the fancy title of ‘Customer Priority Number.’ Ugh.]

SC: I DON’T KNOW NO CUSTOMER PRIORITY NUMBER just tell me where the hell my vouchers are! Oh my God! OH MY GOD! You people are SO incompetent! Aaargh! AAAAARGH! Aiiieeee! AAAAA!

ME: [By now in a state of shock] In… that case madam could I please have your postcode so I can look your records up on our system?

SC: Blaaa! RAAAA! Blaaaaargh! OH MY GOD! Why do you need that? Don’t you know who I am?! [Eventually she managed to blurt out her postcode through audibly grinding teeth].

ME: Thank you, madam. OK I can see from your records that your current set of vouchers runs until [date three weeks in the future], so you aren’t due to receive your next set of vouchers until [date two weeks in the future].

SC: BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! No! NO! YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND! I haven’t got my vouchers! AND I NEEEED THEM NOOOOooooooooowwwwWWWW! SHRAAAAAIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

ME: Are – are you saying that you do not have your current set of vouchers?

SC: OH MY GOD! How did you get this job? I CAN’T BELIEVE HOW INCOMPETENT YOU ARE! DO YOU KNOW WHAT A CRETIN IS??!!

ME: [And yes, I was tempted to reply what you reading this are probably thinking right now] I’m sorry, madam, I am just trying to ascertain-

SC: [More screaming and gibbering, in the middle of which she hangs up, probably because she was having some sort of breakdown or her head had exploded Scanners-style.]

I had to take a five minute break, after that, my first EVER call!

Plenty more where that came from.

By the way, I am now, for the time being, back where I belong, in the Civil Service. It’s good to be home!

Your obedient servant,

Sir Humphrey
    Last edited by Sir Humphrey; 10-03-2013, 03:21 PM. Reason: Reason 27(b) Annex H Paragraph viii
    The public doesn't know anything about wasting government money. We are the experts.

Ugh, call center. You have to be quite the professional to not let customers like this get to you - and I got 'em all the time. We were told to empathize with the customers - after all, the rage isn't actually directed at YOU, it's directed at the company you work for, but unfortunately you're the convenient target. But it's hard to empathize with someone who is hell-bent on insulting you personally six ways from Tuesday - and over some pretty trivial matters, at that.

I didn't last long at this work. It was just a temp gig. It paid a few bills for a couple of months, and I did my best not to take the customers' wrath personally, but after a while, I just felt a horrible, constant sense of dread just showing up for work. I mean, REALLY. Who looks forward to a day of verbal abuse from complete strangers that you're actually trying to help?

And it didn't help that my company had some truly reprehensible clients. And the pay wasn't all that terrific, either.

Comment

Just...wow...

Sounds like someone needs a valium...or twenty!

But shame on you for leaving your psychic helmet at home that day...

Comment

Just in case anyone misses the reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUemV4brDU
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZZJXw4MTA

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
          Thank you

I am he, or rather obviously not he, but pretty close

Sir H
          The public doesn't know anything about wasting government money. We are the experts.

Comment

Quoth Sir Humphrey View Post
            The cancellation conditions were quite strict: customers had to give three months (yes, THREE MONTHS!) notice in writing to cancel. They were informed of this when they took out the subscription, and it was in the terms and conditions (albeit in very small print), but, as you can probably imagine, this didn’t stop SCs complaining about it and trying to get out of subscriptions early, etc. etc.
            Just curious, but how was a (must be fairly routine) situation handled where the subscription needed to be canceled but it wasn't possible to give 3 months notice - the subscriber died and their executor was canceling the subscription?
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Just curious, but how was a (must be fairly routine) situation handled where the subscription needed to be canceled but it wasn't possible to give 3 months notice - the subscriber died and their executor was canceling the subscription?
              Seance and extra postage. :-)
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                If a subscriber died, then their sub would be cancelled with immediate effect. The death of a spouse would also be an exception.

Normally, however, it would be three months in writing; although to save hassle we were allowed to take a customer's three months notice over the phone.

I did and do think three months notice is a bit harsh, but it was up to the paper, not us.

Kind regards,

Sir Humphrey

Comment

Oh you got some of the classics right there! "Twenty minutes"...more like two...yup, no phone customer EVER waits less than twenty minutes even if they literally just dialed the phone and you picked up on the first ring.

"Don't you know who I am?" without giving a name or any other identifying info...Possibly if you'd worked there for a while you would have known right away who she was (unfortunately)...

The sheer hysteria over not being able to get her newspapers...wow. Folks, they tell you print is dead--don't believe it. If you think no one reads the paper anymore, I invite you to spend an hour or two at my work on a day when the papers are delayed for some reason. The circulation dept has been known to LOSE 500 calls on a day like that, so you can imagine how many they actually take.

And a three-month cancellation notice...interesting. There was a time when our circ dept had a rule...they WOULD NOT cancel your paper. Seriously, they were instructed to do everything possible to keep a subscriber and were told they could NOT take a cancellation. I don't think they still have that rule....
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Folks, they tell you print is dead--don't believe it.
                    Yep - pretty hard to line the birdcage with an online edition.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Even a dead parrot will squawk when you try to plug in a network cable.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        Even a dead parrot will squawk when you try to plug in a network cable.
                        dale, I hate to contradict you, but:

"Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!" Monty Python

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                          dale, I hate to contradict you, but:

"Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!" Monty Python

"No, he's not, he's pinin'! He's pinin' for the fjords!"
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            "No, he's not, he's pinin'! He's pinin' for the fjords!"
                            So he wants a wooden Woden wootin'
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              Talk about your yellow journalism.

Comment

Working...
                              X