This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should write a love letter to OtterBox

I've been meaning to do so for quite some time, but I can't find a link for general feedback. I'd really like to tell them how awesome I think their products are. Since I can't find a link, I'll tell you guys!

A while back my oldest son was crossing an intersection. He was in the crosswalk and had the green light. A Ford F-350 approaching the red light decided to run the light and hit my son. Thankfully, my son suffered nothing more than bruises and a little road rash.

So what does this have to do with OtterBox? My son has an iPhone which I make sure he keeps in an OtterBox Defender series case. His phone was on a clip on his left hip at the time he was hit. He was hit on his right side and fell to the ground, with most of the impact being on his left hip area, right around where his phone was. The case itself was mostly trashed. The outside rubber cover was scratched up and the plastic inside case was cracked in multiple places. There was no question the case had to be replaced, however, the phone inside the case escaped without a scratch. I knew those cases were pretty good, but I really didn't think they could protect a phone from that much of an impact. Color me impressed.

When I went to the store to buy a new case, the sales associate asked me why I wasn't using the warranty. In my mind, the case did what it was designed to do, and replacing a $50 case is a small price to pay for protecting a $500 phone. I don't think "getting hit by a truck" is covered under their warranty.

I think I'll try to call them Monday morning. Companies alway hear the bad stuff. I really want them to hear about some of the good stuff. Also, if I wasn't already brand loyal with phone cases, I would be now! I'm pretty sure I'll never buy another brand of phone case as long as they exist.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

They might want the case and a write up for a testimonial!

Comment

get onto their Facebook page

Comment

Also a review on the site where you bought the Otter. FWIW, most companies really go for paper correspondence.
        My dad sent HP a pic of his cat sleeping on his new laser printer. The reply started out: We are glad to hear from satisfied customers of all species. They included a toner cartridge and a coffee mug.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I don't have Facebook, so I called them today to find out where I could send a letter. The rep confirmed that they didn't have a way to do that, but she would be happy to take my comments by phone. Of course, the first thing I said is that I would have loved if they had an inbox for general feedback. Then I told her what happened to my son and how thrilled I was about the case keeping the phone safe, and I just wanted them to know how much I appreciated the quality of their product. She asked me if I had replaced the case yet. Turns out they would have replaced it for free, but I think I would have still been uncomfortable with that. The warranty coveres normal use in my mind, and getting hit by a truck is beyond normal use. I feel like I got what I paid for. More than that, actually, and buying a new case was a small price to pay for keeping the phone safe. She asked for my contact information, so I'm curious if the company will respond.

On a side note, I wish I jar thought to take pictures of the old case before I threw it away. It definitely makes for a good advertising testimonial!
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I love, love, love Otterbox! I am NOT surprised to hear Otterbox did exactly what it was designed to do. I used the Commuter series for quite a while (starting when I got my 4 in late 2011). I'm not a phone dropper, but I have had the occasional incident where it has flown out of my hands and been fine. For the last 18 months, though, I have been exclusively Defender. I bought my 6+ outright, so it was a VERY expensive purchase, and the Defender case for the 6+ is more pricey now (about $70). But so worth it for that peace of mind. I am so glad your kid and his phone are both OK! Go Otterbox!

Comment

Working...
            X