Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What part of ONE WAY do you not understand?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of ONE WAY do you not understand?!

Next to my son's school there is a four lane one way street. Back in the day, they were part of the elementary that used to be there. They are set up to be drop off/pick up lanes with two driving lanes down the center, the left one turning left, the right one turning right. I think they were also used as bus lanes a loooong time ago, before schools started putting the bus lanes out of traffic areas. The elementary was pretty old when I was a student in the district.. 20 years ago. The road itself is a lot longer, but it's only the section next to the school(s) that is one way.

Well, they tore out the old school and put in the middle school, but they kept the four lanes as One Way, even though they put in a drop off/pick up lane that separates from the rest. They use the two outer lanes to park buses after hours and as spare parking for middle school events, but otherwise, it's unchanged.

So, as I said, it's been this way since I started in the school district some 26 years ago. It is my understanding from others it was like that a lot longer than that. SO WHY DOESN'T ANYONE OBEY THE SIGNS?! The sign states, "ONE WAY" with a "DO NOT ENTER" sign on the bottom on the highway side. It doesn't state "ONE WAY BETWEEN HOURS OF 7AM OF 4PM" no, its only ONE WAY.

I've been nearly hit more times than I'd like to count, because people fail to read the damn signs. This includes a city police officer that was just cruising around! Thursday, I was nearly hit head while waiting in the right turn lane! Today, I watched a long line of cars turn off the highway (of which there is no entrance from to the school) and go up behind the school!

And it's not like the school hasn't tried to get it through parents' heads. It's on every news letter and notice the school sends home and they mention it at every school event. It's one of the more dangerous roads in the city, but I don't think it will ever change. What they need to do is just make the road two way and leave the outter lanes as shoulders and parking. It would almost be safer that way at this point.

I'd like to think that given it's been that way for over 20+ years, people would get the idea of it being ONE WAY!
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

"But this way's quicker." It's certainly a quicker way to die...

"But I'm only going one way"
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
      What they need to do is just make the road two way and leave the outter lanes as shoulders and parking.
      Or put in the "severe tire damage" direction enforcement devices.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        It's certainly a quicker way to die...
        A Quicker Way To Die would be a great James Bond movie title.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
          What they need to do is just make the road two way and leave the outter lanes as shoulders and parking. It would almost be safer that way at this point.
          No, what they need to do is set up several police cars there and start writing tickets wholesale.

Funny how quickly getting ticketed while make people pay more attention.

Heck, I bet you could repurpose a stop light camera to take photos of cars going the wrong way and use those to issue tickets.

Also, given that it's only the one section that's one way, there should be a concrete barrier (at least a traffic island) blocking things at the end of the one way stretch so that cars would have to drive over it to enter going the wrong way.

Still won't stop folks turning onto the street the wrong way, but it'd eliminate at least *one* source of wrong way drivers.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
            This includes a city police officer that was just cruising around!
            My first apartment in the city was on a one-way street. One day, I came home from work and parked along my street. Just as I got out of the car, I saw a city cop going the wrong way up my street. If I would have arrived home a minute later, he probably would have hit me head-on.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

We have traffic circles here. They are actually pretty easy to use as long as you pay attention. Today, we went out for breakfast and watched someone driving over the concrete curbs to drive the wrong way through the circle. Of course she had to bump over more curbs to get out of it while honking at the car in her way. I'd like to think that she was not drunk that early in the morning. I'm also sorry I couldn't get my sweety to drive through the circle the correct way so we could see what happened at the next circle.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                The road itself is a lot longer, but it's only the section next to the school(s) that is one way.
                Yikes. People are bad with one way streets, but to just have one section which is one way? Accident time for sure. I sometimes cut fabric for some people who have a business on a pretty scary intersection. Five streets meet, and one becomes one way with three lanes. The people that work at the business see several people going the wrong way per day, and often see accidents.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

People just don't pay attention to signs. There's a one-way street 20 feet from our door and at least once every couple of months I see people driving the wrong way out of it.

It's worse at the convenience store across the street. Despite the one-way signs people still insist on pulling out onto the main street instead of exiting through the back of their lot like they're supposed to.

Never a cop around when you need one.

Comment

Saw a guy about to go the wrong way down a one-way road a couple months ago.

On Fridays, I tend to go run errands with Mom (she has mobility issues, so she'll drive to whatever stores, give me a list, and send me to get the stuff she wants - it's an excuse for her to get out of the house, and we go get lunch and take the dog along), and this particular day, we went down to a shopping center to get some Five Guys burgers for lunch.

The way this shopping center was laid out, there were two buildings to it, with a big island in the middle of two one-way roads that connected the street with the back parking lots.

Mom parks in a space along the "incoming" one-way road. I'm crossing the incoming road heading for the island, when I see a car getting ready to go "out" down the incoming road.

I stopped near the island's curb, face that car, and wave my hands in a "No" fashion, shaking my head. I saw the driver raise their hand in acknowledgment and start to back up.

Fortunately, there had been no cars coming "in" along that road, or there might have been an issue.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                    X