This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stockholder =/= boss

This is a chronic issue at my friend's workplace, and I thought I'd share.

So, her company is "owned" by "stockholders", to use an analogy (sorry for being vague, but I don't want to reveal too much about Friend's employer). These "stockholders" figure that since they have some ownership in the company, and since they have some small say in how things are run, that they are the bosses all the time. They are the worst SCs.

A prime example: Employee just gets done sweeping the parking lot of trash and cigarette butts. Inevitably, trash and cigarette butts will accumulate between sweepings, otherwise such sweepings would be unnecessary. So ten minutes pass, and a customer who is a "stockholder" drops by. Said "stockholder" finds a cigarette butt that a patron dropped after Employee finished sweeping, picks up the cigarette butt, and then goes and finds Friend (who does not have the job of cleaning the parking lot) and proceeds to scream at them for not maintaining the business to standards. Friend was literally in tears afterwards.

In another case, a "stockholder" noticed some trash around the floor, and told Friend to drop her post to deal with it. Friend can't leave her position (it's in a "secure area"), and said she'd find someone to take care of it (like, you know, the person whose job it is to deal with that sort of thing). "Stockholder" threw a sh*t. It had to be dealt with right then and there. If it wasn't, people wouldn't be spending money there and "stockholder" would have them fired!!! Nevermind that "stockholder" berating Friend and holding up the line was probably far more offensive to the other customers than some bits of trash that hadn't been picked up yet.

This is a constant issue there, with "stockholders" trying to boss the employees around directly, even though their influence only really extends to behind-the-scenes company directing. The EW-ness of them can be beyond absurd.

Happily, Friend now spends her time working mostly away from customers, so she seldom has to deal with these "stockholders" anymore.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Wow. Can she speak to her immediate supervisor or manager about this? She shouldn't have to risk getting in trouble just because these idiots get off on ordering people around. Somebody above her needs to let them know they're out of line.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

...and I'm sure that some of the more annoying "stockholders" only hold one share each
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

better yet... if these stockholders cared SOOOO much about the appearance of the company... why didn't they fucking toss out the trash themselves?

Comment

I get this at my work as well. Just because they have shares in the company, they think they should get preferential treatment (such as free mobiles, further discounts on bills and even skipping the line for service).

We just tell them that if we gave things away, they would loose money on their shares, and cutting the line annoys the non-share holders who will take their business elsewhere and thus reduce their shares. If they threaten to sell their shares, I thank them as I'll buy them

Comment

Working...
          X