This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working for the White Rabbit

Also known Teching Down Under. A new thread for a new job. And after 2 weeks, this promises to exceed even my cynicism and sarcasm levels.

I've always been a bit of a professional idiot with technology, and a gadget freak. I can happily spend hours wandering around stores in their 'bright, shiny things' department. My clothes are never fashionable and I always but what will keep me warm and all important parts covered, but I MUST at least know about and look at computer stuff.

So, after the last job and the 4 1/2 months of injury recovery, I was chuffed to get something where I get paid to fix computers, deal with customers, and do general tech-type stuff. I do it well, and I know the majority of the tricks of the trade. Those I don't, I can look up.

I did, however, leave a small but vital consideration out of my equation. Namely -- all customers are idiots, for a given value of customer. The past 2 weeks I've had 8 customers come in with a certain type of tablet, and the only problem was either they a) hadn't recharged the battery and it had run out of power, or b) they had the machine set to go into standby mode after 30 seconds.

Naturally, neither of these issues could be the fault of the customer, but were obviously due to faulty tablets! I ended up giving driving lessons for tablets for 3 days running.

And then I've had the usual customers who have had their computers for only a few weeks or months, and have downloaded every program they could find, and who wonder why their machine takes 5 minutes to open the control panel. I've done 12 'scorched earth' resets in 10 days. One machine I had on Friday was so slow I was able to heat up my lunch before the settings window opened. It took 6 hours to factory reset the HDD.

And on a lighter note, we had one poor guy come in and buy a brand new machine on Tuesday, but the Young Idiot Male Salesman (hereafter called a YIMS. I have 8 of them to choose from!) sold him CD copies of Office and Norton, then shoved the machine at me and said "just install this software for him will you?" and vanished back to make more commission. The computer had no CD player built in.

I already had 4 machines on the bench, and politely aplogised to the customer that there would be a wait while I got them doing stuff and then could start on his. He cheerfully sais that was fine and would come back in about an hour, then wandered off to the nearby coffee shop with a paper tucked under his arm.

Before I could get it going however, the YIMS hustled back up and said he'd get it ready, so I left him to it. He deals with customer that day, and all seems well. Except customer returns Thursday VERY angry. The software doesn't work, things aren't as he was told they would be, couldn't get internet connection, etc.

Turned out the YIMS had installed the wrong Norton software off the net, hadn't properly installed the Office package, had failed to tether the computer to his phone for a mobile hotspot, and about 8 other issues. I placated the customer, put 3 warranty repair assessment machines to one side and got stuck into sorting it out. Finally had it all done 3 hours later after I undid the mess the YIMS snarled it into.

So, I can't complain about a boredom factor, I'm busier than I expected. But I'm seriously starting to consider electric collars to train the salesmen properly.

I shall post updates as and when I can.

You know.... Those electric collars just night help a bit....

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
      Only if you can crank them up to a +10 of Tasing: Greasy Pillar of Smoke.
      Last edited by dalesys; 08-31-2013, 04:48 PM.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
        "I don't know why he's complaining about the shock, I had it set to 'cat'"
        "Um, that says 'cattle'"

You're a lot nicer than I am. If a comissioned weasle tried to get me to set up something from one of his sales, I'd demand a cut of the comission. Otherwise, I have other metrics to keep mate, sales is your job.

Comment

There is no training sales men. If they do not come pre-housebroken, then they will proceed to promise customers stuff that they don't have to worry about fulfilling, because it'll be you the customer turns to.

5 years of explaining time and time again what a service contract does and does not cover (which was in the folders by their registers - I checked when I was there) and what we did and didn't work on. Only to watch it go over their heads like the wind. I wanted to either give 'em the 90's high-rise hair styles or strangle the whole lot.

Except one. He was awesome. See sig for details on that one.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

dahkur,

Are we married? I'm fairly certain these stories sound just like my husbands. He works with a few extrememly spechul people that half-ass jobs and then aren't there when the customer returns angry that things weren't done at all or weren't done correctly.

Also, he said he had a person try to exchange their phone(he fixes computers, but trouble shoots smart phones) b/c the internet was slow. He opens the phone browser and finds that they have about 23 tabs open. He explains why it was slow, closes the tabs and gives the phone back. Does pebkac still apply when its a phone?

Comment

Update: Salesman, the 2IC, and the Boss

The Salesmen:

As you can imagine, they're all 18-25yr old males, tall, good-looking, etc. The females they've dealt with previously at work have been young girls, more interested in Facebook and social activities than working. Consequently, they've been allowed get away with whatever they wanted, as long as they made the sale.

I have been something of a shock.

One of the boys is extra annoyed because he expected to get given the tech job after having 2 weeks off. Came back to find the new boss had hired me. He's already tried the 'tell other staff something, then tell the boss something else' trick. Really, did he not think that we would compare notes? Plus, he cost the company a new laptop and tried to blame the issue on me. Problem was, I had already demonstrated the machine working for the customer the day before. He hasn't had a good week. Now he just ignores me and won't speak to me.

The 2IC:

About 30, seems a good, solid guy. Very open and cheerful. Is a sci-fi fan, has a well-known fantasy series tattoo (I spotted it and asked about it in 10 seconds. He almost hugged me!), and won't take and rubbish from the salesmen. He's very cool with coming in and venting to me in the tech bay about how insane some of them are. Might go halves with me in the training collars.

The Boss:

Jovial bloke, very work-orientated. But I suspect he's a salesman-retrained as management. He keeps going on about spending no more than 10 minutes with a customer, if I can't fix a machine on the bench in 3 minutes to log it in for repair, bench it and if I can't fix it in half a day, send it away for repairs. He goes on about giving people replacements rather than fixing or repairs and worries about customer service times.

I may have to give him The Challenge if he doesn't loosen up.

Of course, I do have the same recourse as all other people dealing with customer service -- blind and total adherence to the rules. (smothers evil grin and gleeful snicker) Usually they last about 10 days before giving in and coming to a more 'centred' view of reality.

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
                But I'm seriously starting to consider electric collars to train the salesmen properly.
                Let me know how well those work; I'm considering using them on certain coworkers. (Don't forget the decimal points on the cutting slips! 0.25 yards =/= 25 yards!!!)
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

The computer dept is only about 10 metres square and right next door. I can probably even zap them through the walls. Getting them on could be a problem though. I might have to order tranq darts with the collars.

Stalking feral computer salesmen through the microchips . . . dart them from a safe distance, fit them with ID ear tags, and tracking and training collars, then release them back into the wild and see where they turn up and if I can modify their behaviour. Sounds like an Attenborough documentary. I could probably film it and sell it for a large fortune to a reality tv network.

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
                    I may have to give him The Challenge if he doesn't loosen up.
                    The Challenge? Details?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Salespeople are the worst part of every job. They sell things they don't understand, and they leave everyone else to deal with it.

My last job dealt with health care. I can't tell you how many times we had been screamed at because of something a salesperson promised, that is either extremely complicated, or not even feasible.

Comment

Old Joke (goes back to at least the 80s)

Q: what's the difference between a used car salesman and a computer salesman?

A: The used car salesman *knows* when he's lying.

Alas, it's nowhere *near* as funny when you have to deal with the reality.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          The Challenge? Details?
                          Yes, I too would like to know what The Challenge is, and why it deserves capitalization.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

The Challenge goes something like:

"Boss, while I respect your thoughts, I'm not sure you have the experience to know the reality I'm working in. So, since Chris is able to look after the sellers for one day, as he usually does on your day off, why don't you come and spend Friday in The Pit with me and see what my job is really like, and how I have to operate."

That's The Challenge. The ones that take it up quickly learn not to interfere again unless I scream for help or The Pit is on fire.

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
                              The Challenge

I approve of The Challenge.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X