This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lying to Dad

I was reminded of this story by this thread: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=102024

We get a call from an angry man saying that his daughter's credit card information had to have been stolen, blah blah blah, she was buying things from our store and she'd claimed she'd never bought anything from our store. His daughter's credit card was actually a card attached to his own account, just with her name on it.

Then she changes her tune and claims that the bar she works at ran out of Red Bull so she had come over to our store and bought 250 dollars worth of Red Bull. Of course when this is said (later on) I snicker. If someone had bought that much Red Bull, I'm telling you, EVERYONE would have known. Mainly because they can't help but chitter on about weird orders all the time. Not to mention if she had wanted that much Red Bull we would have had to get her CASES of it out of the back room as there is not that much Red Bull in the cooler. That would have created a stir.

So, Manager goes and tells the man that there is no way anyone bought that much Red Bull from our store and proceeds to look it up on the sales reports. Voila. No purchases of Red Bull.

Turns out little daughter dearest was charging the card for ridiculous things and telling him that she'd be reimbursed or her card information must have been stolen, etc etc so that dad would dispute the charges or forget them. I have a feeling this was the last time this ever happened consider how mad this guy was.

And THIS is why my kids aren't having cards until they have their own bank account.

If I had kids, I might consider co-signing if there was an understanding that the card will be scrupulously monitored by me and the proverbial Sack 'o Bricks will descend if the card was ever late or maxed out.

Making your kid an authorized user? Yeah, not gonna happen. It does neither of you one lick of good. (Due to people "renting" authorized user slots a few years ago (a different sort of insanity), they no longer count towards a positive credit score.)

That said, given the markup bars charge for mixed drinks, buying Red Bull at full retail might work out ok, if not with the same profit margin as buying it at wholesale. (Though a 24-hour grocery store might be a better choice; you work at a quickie-mart, right?)

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
      That said, given the markup bars charge for mixed drinks, buying Red Bull at full retail might work out ok, if not with the same profit margin as buying it at wholesale. (Though a 24-hour grocery store might be a better choice; you work at a quickie-mart, right?)
      Back then we didn't have a sale going on and those things are so ridiculously expensive at my store it's nuts, but as you said, considering the mark-up...ehhhh, I'd still go to a grocery store rather than a gas station. And yeah, it's like a Quickie-Mart type deal but based more around gas than grocery. Groceries are seriously insane here. A bottle of ketchup is like 5 bucks. At the grocery store they're like two or three depending. And then even so, 250 cans of Red Bull at my store could have the potential to actually buy us OUT of it.

Comment

You really have to wonder how it is that they apparently think this nonsense will never catch up with them ...

Comment

It's pretty clear he never saw the billing statement to know where she really spent the money. Because honestly, spending $250 at a quickie mart? What the heck was she buying? The Red Bull excuse what a ridiculous stretch.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

My Dad put me on his CC when I was two. And he and Mom were really, really good for paying things off and on time. So by the time I was ready to buy a house, I had 26 years of ridiculously good credit. Hubby said the guy checking our scores went, "Damn." Thing is... I *never* knew till I did my first credit check before house shopping. Found out and called Dad who went, "Oh yeah! By the way...." Thinking I could do the same to my kids.
            "There is a sadist inside me. She likes cake." - Krys Wolf, my friend

In a coffee shop in Whitehouse, Texas: "Unsupervised children will be given two shots of espresso and a free puppy."

Comment

I never had a credit card until my junior year of college, and I learned the lesson on overcharging on my student ID at school well before that. We could use our ID to make purchases on campus, and my parents paid my ID account. One month I charged over $100 of mostly little things, and my parents said if I did it again I'd have to explain every charge and anything they deemed nonessential I would have to pay for myself. I never did it again. I've also never gone over my limit on my credit cards, or overdrawn my checking account.

I have a credit card that I never use but which has an insanely high credit limit (like $28K; I literally hadn't used it in years but they kept raising the limit). The card that I do use all the time, which I pay off every month and have been late on maybe twice in over 10 years, never gets the limit raised (which is fine because the limit is still well above what I charge on it in an average month). When I bought my condo, my mortgage guy said I had one of the highest credit ratings he'd ever seen, and I should use that one card occasionally just to make sure they don't decide to cancel it, because if it got cancelled my debt-to-credit ratio would plummet. (I might start using it in the cafeteria at work, that way I won't have to worry about having cash and it would be an easy way of seeing how much I actually spend there. Also, they don't take Discover, which is my main card.)

I'm considering setting up some of my bills that I pay online for autopay and having them charged to that card, just so I can pay one big bill and not have to worry about being late (as I was with my car payment last month). Or else just charge them to my Discover card so I can get more cash back bonus.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
              X