This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price gouging

We had a guest send a complaint to corporate because they thought we were price gouging because we raised our rates during a busy August weekend when every hotel in town was booked.
    I remember checking in this guest, he had booked at our website so he obviously saw what the rate was at the time he made the reservation, but I guess that didn't matter. When I handed him the reg card to sign he turned up his nose at said, "I've never paid more than $99 at one of your brand's hotels." I told him that not all the hotels in the brand have the same rates, it depends on the market and time of year and events. I then told hi it was a busy weekend where everyone in town was sold out. He just turned up his nose and handed over his credit card. If he had kept complaining, I would have gladly cancelled his reservation and sold his room to one of the countless other people desperate for a room who would have been happy to pay the rate.
    In the complaint they said they would never stay at our brand again because of the policy. The rate should be the same no matter what. I'm thinking if they are going to refuse to stay at any hotel the raises their rates during busy times, then they should get used to sleeping in their car.
    I wonder if they feel the same way about airlines when they raise their rates during the holidays?
    "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

LOL! Maybe he can buy an RV?

Reminds me of a story about a guy the weekend before Christmas who demanded a manager and then told the manager, "Your store would do a lot more business if it wasn't so crowded!"
    You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
      LOL! Maybe he can buy an RV?
      please God no... then I'D have to deal with his entitled @$$

Comment

It's called supply and demand. Busy weekends = more demand + fixed supply = higher prices. (I know exactly the weekend you're talking about, too. $99? Bwahahaha!)

Reminds me of a story about a guy the weekend before Christmas who demanded a manager and then told the manager, "Your store would do a lot more business if it wasn't so crowded!"
        We'd get something similar at the motel, and for weekends like this. "If your prices weren't so high, you'd sell more rooms." Then the SC would leave, and another guest willing to pay the rate would come in and take my last room
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Ow ow ow......it feels JUST LIKE when you eat ice cream too fast.....

"So what you're saying is, we'd have MORE people in the store if we weren't if there weren't so many people in the store?"

Comment

Quoth Desk clerk knows all View Post
            When I handed him the reg card to sign he turned up his nose at said, "I've never paid more than $99 at one of your brand's hotels."
            Well, there's a first time for everything!
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

I never understand people who think hotel rates for each brand are the same. Theres SO many reasons why that would not work, and should never work that way.

Comment

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
                -Yogi Berra
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                  We'd get something similar at the motel, and for weekends like this. "If your prices weren't so high, you'd sell more rooms." Then the SC would leave, and another guest willing to pay the rate would come in and take my last room
                  This is particularly glorious when the first guest, having struck out everywhere else comes back to do us the favor of taking the overpriced room.

And all you get to say is, "Sorry! Sold out!"

Bahahahahahaha!

Comment

I get this all the time, especially in the summer when our rates are very high due to people vacationing/local events.

But I have even gotten it in the winter months. I've had guests act shocked and/or annoyed that my rate was $59.99 (pretty much the standard rate in the area) when they had just stayed at the same brand hotel in Oklahoma for $39.99.

My standard reason is that they are coming through PA which is the Keystone State for a reason, if you want to go to/from NY of Boston, you pretty much have to come through PA. On top of that, we are just off a major thoroughfare, which means we tend to get more business.

I've had people walk out on the $59.99 rate because they thought it was too high.

SC
                    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

gouging - yeah right.

I have been working audit at various hotels for many years - too many if you ask me.

Potential guests do tend to become outraged when you tell them the price is higher. Somebody should send these people to an economics class. It is called supply and demand people. Gas prices go up and down on an almost daily basis and we understand what can affect the price but somehow people can't understand when it happens at a hotel?

Any number of things can affect hotel rates.

Deal with it.

Comment

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
                        This is particularly glorious when the first guest, having struck out everywhere else comes back to do us the favor of taking the overpriced room.

And all you get to say is, "Sorry! Sold out!"

Bahahahahahaha!
                        I've had that happen. It was the very post I've ever made on CS. I can't seem to find it anymore. It wasn't my own topic.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                        X