X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool classic one last night

Hi all.
    I work in a supermarket, and one of the things that regularly happens in our store is that sometimes people will dump groceries on the checkout belt, and wander away to get something else. If they are nice, they will let us know that they are coming back after they grab "insert item"

It was late last night, just before close, and being kinda quiet, I was filling up cigarettes between customers, keeping busy, and keeping an eye on my checkout for customers.

A large pack of toilet paper mysteriously appeared on the end of my checkout. I didn't see who dumped it there, but assumed that they would be back shortly, either that, or some one had just changed their mind, and just dumped it there.

About 5 minutes later, a youngish couple came up to my checkout.

I greeted them, and asked if the loo paper was theirs, and mentioned that I didn't know whose it was.
    The female, with a smile, said that it wasn't theirs, but that it was now, as she moved it into her pile of groceries.

Ok, cool, she wants to buy it, no problem to me

The couple had just paid, and were grabbing their stuff ready to move off, when an older gentleman comes up to the counter with a bottle of softdrink.

The lady greets him by name as they start leaving with their groceries.

The older gentleman looks at me, and says something about the toilet paper.

"Oh, sorry, was that your's? I didn't know whose it was, I am afraid that it's theirs now, they have paid for it"

He looks an me, and grunts - "Well, I will just have to go and get another one then"

He wanders off, grabs another loo paper, comes back and pays, and all is good with the world again

First off, welcome aboard fellow grocery peon . . .I've been working in grocery stores myself for over 20 years now

As far as customers leaving their groceries and wandering off . . . happens almost every day.

IMO, if you leave the items you want to purchase and wander off, don't be surprised if somebody else gets them. It ain't yours until cash exchanges hands. It still belongs to the store technically and with the Litter Box at least, first come first served.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Shannarah View Post
      A large pack of toilet paper mysteriously appeared on the end of my checkout. I didn't see who dumped it there
      Couldn't help laughing at the juxtaposition of "toilet paper" and "dumped".

Quoth Shannarah View Post
      The couple had just paid, and were grabbing their stuff ready to move off, when an older gentleman comes up to the counter with a bottle of softdrink.

The older gentleman looks at me, and says something about the toilet paper.

"Oh, sorry, was that your's? I didn't know whose it was, I am afraid that it's theirs now, they have paid for it"He wanders off, grabs another loo paper, comes back and pays, and all is good with the world again
      Please tell me he left the soft drink on the belt while he went off for some more bog roll, and while he was gone another customer came along who decided they wanted to buy some soft drink...
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
      X