This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Me. Not Caring.

So we're in beta now for our next version.

Which means dealing with beta testers. Testers get crack at the new version and chance to test out features some of them asked for to make sure they work as expected. Testers who give us good feed back get a $200 credit towards the purchase of the next version. For those with an individual license that equals getting it for free.

But in order to participate, the tester has to be at the current version (since that is the point of comparison) and have an individual license (we can provide a temporary one at no cost if they are currently on a group license).

The reason for the second condition is that, in order for someone to participate, we have to make the license eligible for the new version AND impose a time restriction on it. The time restriction will affect activations on the current version as well. Obviously we don't want to impose that kind time restriction on an entire organizations group production license. And we can't allow the beta for one user on a group license without giving away the new version to the entire organization. Which would be pretty dumb considering we won't be able to sell something we've just given away.

End background.

Yesterday I get an email activation request from someone at a very LARGE organization trying to activate the beta on their huge group license. She had been told at the start of the test that she'd have to install her individual license in order to participate; we had made it eligible and sent her the information.

I assumed it was brain burp on her part and sent directions to remove the group license and install her individual license.

She just repeated she was invited to beta test and needed to activate. I explained again that she could activate as soon as she removed [large group license] and installed [individual beta-eligible license].

That's when I got a pissy email telling me that she didn't want to remove [big group license] and wouldn't be participating in the beta.

I guess she expected I would give in and beg her to participate. Well, guess what?

I don't care. Sure, her input on the feature *she* requested in the new release would have been helpful. But participating in the beta is 100% voluntary. We can't make her participate and we certainly aren't going to pressure her or anyone to participate. Nor are we going to hold it up the release just for her. It's going out with or without her input.

When the new version comes out with the feature she requested, it may or may not work as she hoped since she waived her opportunity to give us feedback on it. If she's lucky and it does work, there certainly won't be any $200 credit if she decides to buy it.

So yeah. My response was basically a politely-worded version of a shrug. I also let her know she'll have another opportunity next beta.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

My name is Antares, and I approve this message.
    I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Way to throw a snit-fit and lock yourself out of that opportunity, silly lady! Why on earth would you not follow directions to try something that would also give you a chance to get it for a bit off for your license level?
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
        Why on earth would you not follow directions to try something that would also give you a chance to get it for a bit off for your license level?
        because she 'thought' that they would give in and let her do it her way. Which would give her entire group the program for free.

Comment

Should have flagged the entire group license as temporary and explain to them that when it expired it's her fault they have to pay for a brand new one. >.>

Comment

Working...
          X