This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Checkout is a bad idea

I don't mean to rag on any demographic, except for the demographic of generally ignorant people who assume they can use the self checkout machines at supermarkets. A few days ago I got held up behind a few people at the self checkout machines. With one machine down: the count of people there went like this.

Machine 1: woman who couldn't understand that the machine wanted her to put her scanned items on the scale and assumed the machine knew she was buying two peaches or a pound of potatoes or what not. She then would not place them in to the bagging area after the machine asked her to, after she figured out it would weigh her food and it would stop up on that. Then the hole cycle would start all over again. Plus she had 33 items in her cart at the express checkout machines (I had that much time. I counted all of her items).

Machine 2: out of order!

Machine 3: a gentleman who simply placed the items on the scale/scanner and stood their waiting for them to scan. It took the service desk girl two trips to get him to understand that he needs to run the UPC over the laser, and after that, he'd scan it and put it down on the scale/scanner and wait.

Machine 4: a woman who did the math after each scan to make sure the machine wasn't ripping her off. scan "4.99" scan "4.99 + 3.99" scan "8.98+12.99." I could hear her doing the math outloud.

After about 8 minutes, the math lady cleared first, I hopped on, got ID'd for liquor and checked out before the other two finished. There was an audible sigh of relief from the person behind me when I got out so quickly.

There should be a sign on the Self Checkout machines indicating that if you have no idea what you're doing, you shouldn't use them.
    Last edited by Computer Sandwich; 11-10-2010, 12:37 AM.

Those things are supposed to be idiot-proof. A monkey should be able to figure out how to operate one.

That said, there are some pretty stupid monkeys masquerading as people nowadays.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Those things are so idiot proof that I wished I had my own POS to work while doing it instead of relying on a machine that'll tell me EACH AND EVERY STEP! But people ignore what they have to say too often and then I do the "for shame" eye rub.

Comment

Quoth Computer Sandwich View Post
        There should be a sign on the Self Checkout machines indicating that if you have no idea what you're doing, you shouldn't use them.
        See, here's where you, as a logical, thinking person, are making your mistake.

1. Assuming that they will read said sign in the first place.

and

B. Assuming that they will figure out it means them.

It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I hate it when people are at the self scanners and scan something and the screen says "Please place item in the bag" and they turn around and ask the USCAN clerk what they should do.....
          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Self scans seem to be EW magnets.

I know I've said this before, but some people are just not suited to the self scan. My mother, for example. She's electronically challenged and admits it. Therefore, she DOESN'T USE IT! What a novel concept!!

Why, for the love of God, can't other people realize this and stay away?
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
              Those things are supposed to be idiot-proof. A monkey should be able to figure out how to operate one.
              A drunk, high, mentally-challenged, glue-sniffing monkey with one testicle should be able to figure out how to work a U-SCAN.

So I guess in the end it's really no surprise too many people don't know how to use them, but insist on using them.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Some people just aren't suited for them. Some older people, for instance - like my mom. She's a smart lady, she just isn't suited for them. Fortunately, she knows it and therefore avoids them - thereby making life easier for the rest of us.

I can respect that we all have different strengths and weaknesses. I just hate the people who insist on using the damned things and don't know how - or the ones who drag 500 items through the smaller scan's that are marked for 15 or less.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

UScans/SCOs/whatever you want to call them ARE idiot proof. Sadly, they keep making better idiots.

Comment

that is an insult to monkeys, which are far smarter than most humans; an amoeba, maybe, but not a monkey.

sco's are fairly easy things, but only the many few, the entitled, the terminally stupid are confused by them still.
                    look! it's ghengis khan!
                    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

There are also those who know full well how to use them, and avoid them like plague ridden zombies. . Though if I only have a few items I will risk getting bit and scratched (thus becoming a plague ridden zombie myself) and use them.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Most of the time I try to use the self-checkout at BJ's, the machine freaks out and calls over the employee with the blinking light. I always get the same things: adult diapers (for my grandfather), tortilla chips, and V-8. Sometimes I get toilet paper or a bakery item. I always do exactly as the machine says; it almost always rejects at least one item AFTER I place it on the belt. It gets halfway down the belt (and no, the collection area is not "full"), then it decides to reject the scan.

I go back for more of this punishment each time because the lines are STILL shorter than the checkouts with a human cashier. If the checkouts with the human cashiers had shorter lines, I'd go to them instead.

What I really hate is when someone has a small child and lets the kid scan all of their items. That always takes forever even when the machine doesn't reject an item. I never get behind someone with a lot of items and a kid.
                        I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Hey, guys? Let's tone it down a bit, eh?

I get the things are easy to use. I get that most folks can use them with no problem.

However, some folks are intimidated by technology. Some folks can't read. Some can't hear. Some folks get flustered or nervous and their brains shut down. Older people in particular are hesitant to use them for a variety of reasons.

My mom, while she worked, was an executive at a large company. She is intelligent and young for her age. She won't even buy gas with plastic at the pump. She's not stupid. For whatever reason, she doen't trust it and is intimidated. Do I kind of think it's funny or weird? Yeah. But I know she's not stupid, so whatever.

Some people don't get certain things.

Let's not go on about how people who can't use the u scan are stupid or monkeys. Especially when other posters are mentioning their family members who can't use them, either. That's the cue that you are making someone uncomfortable with your comments.

Comment

my problem with SCo's is the people who have far far too many items or who try and buy age restricted items and then complaint that "it isn't working right" when it calls someone over to ID them.

I try and use them whenever I can as they are faster than normal checkouts (in most supermarkets) and I don;'t get asked questions about whether I want to get a loyalty card etc, but if I'm buying Booze then I'll go to a real checkout to save the hassle of waiting for an SCO attendant that has to walk someone through step by step on one of the other machines before they can ID me
                            "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                            Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

The problem with making something idiot proof is that nature will ALWAYS create a better idiot.
                              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                              X