This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minor laundry room annoyance

*Not super-sucky, just annoying when it does happen, and 'tis definitely one thing I hate about not having a washer and dryer of my own*

I had a bunch of clothes to wash this morning, and as I was heading to the laundry room closest to my apartment, a guy who was walking past had this to say - "I think I used up all five of the washers....sorry." Which meant that I had to carry my heavy basket across the complex to the other laundry room, which fortunately was NOT being used.

It wasn't a major issue, except that the rental office HAS asked residents more than once to not tie up all the machines in the laundry rooms.......I guess there's been complaints in the past.

I used to be patient with the washers and would wait until people would put clothes in the dryer. Not anymore, if the washers are done, their clothes go out. I really love it when I do that and am then able to put my cltohes in the dryers because they wouldnt' have emptied the washers in the first place.

Comment

in one apartment years ago we had a laundry room...and there was one person who always did these hours long soaks in the washers with her laundry....and she would soak them by opening the lid so it wouldn't finish the cycle. I was forever closing the lids and making them finish so I could pull her shit out and put my laundry in.

Thank GOD I have my own washer and dryer in my apartment now...I just have to fight everyone in the house for them
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Actually, I do find this super-sucky. Only a self-absorbed asshole would tie up 5 washers in a building at one time.
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
          Actually, I do find this super-sucky. Only a self-absorbed asshole would tie up 5 washers in a building at one time.
          Well, maybe he'd had such a hard time getting to use them that his laundry just piled up?

When I lived in an apartment and had to use the laundry room, I'd save up several loads to do at once. We had 6 machines, and I never used more than 2.

But like telecom goddess, getting an apartment where I could have my own machine was heaven on earth.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
            When I lived in an apartment and had to use the laundry room, I'd save up several loads to do at once. We had 6 machines, and I never used more than 2.
            That's exactly my point.

I lived in an apartment when my kids were little. I had tons of laundry piled up, but I'd never use more than a couple at a time, just out of common courtesy.

If I really wanted to get it all done at once, I'd haul it to a laundromat.

People are selfish.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
              No, he was a level of sucky above that. Not only did he tie up all the machines with his laundry, he had the gall to tell someone he was doing it. The OP's perception of suckiness might have been lessened if it was believed that the machines were being fairly shared by more than one resident.

Bragging, gloating, or even casually announcing that you are the one person responsible for hogging the machines is where the super-duper-suck comes in. It shows he knew he was doing something rude, but did it anyway and wasn't ashamed to let people know it.
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

We get complained at if we leave our stuff in the washer 1 second past shut-off, even if only 1 washer in the whole room is being used. However, it seems perfectly ok for 1 person to tie up ALL the washers at once. The last time someone did this, the manager-lady did manage to get 1 free for me, but the washer-takeover-resident gave me catbuttface when I brought my immediate neighbor down with me so I could give her my washer as soon as it was done. I guess our sucky neighbor was planning on doing 5 more loads on top of the first 5.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I only ever tied up all the washers when it was 2 or 3 in the morning on Friday, Saturday, or other drinking nights at <university basement dorm washroom/vestigial kitchen which flooded constantly>. I never saw a soul down there on those nights, not even for the fridge.
                  I was in an apartment that had in-unit w/d's, I loved that, and now I just hand it over to mom/dad to do it at their place, 'cuz their water/washer/dryer don't suck, unlike <uni> and my current apartment. Yeah, there's the laundromats, but that's time and money and airing my stained laundry (hint: I'm a girl).
                  I sincerely want my own w/d in-unit next place I go. I'd rather pay the electrical bill and do my laundry in peace, air dry at will, and do it whenever I well please, around dishes, bumming around, and doing whatever; instead of sitting reading a book on uncomfortable chairs with screaming kids, strange-smelling staring strangers (mostly old male creepers), and then frenetically folding, transferring, checking, etc my laundry. I'm big on "my own schedule."
                  EDIT: the few times I went to a laundromat, with all my sorting and stain requirements and whatnot (black load, towel load, jeans load, etc), if I do all my laundry at once, it usually ends up being about ten machines. Why yes I get all my family's handmedowns and oddiments, and I hardly ever do my laundry... Thankfully, the laundromats I go to have upwards of forty washers or more...
                  Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 11-11-2010, 06:02 AM.
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

When my machine was working I would do a load a day. Now that I have to go to the laundry mat every four days I take up two of the three load machines. And one of the single load machine.

Comment

There've only been a couple of times I had to deal with the community laundry room and laundromat issue.

My first time in college, I lived in the dorms. My room was on the second floor. Each floor had its own laundry room with two washers and two dryers. Only one pair ever seemed to work in the second floor laundry room. I quickly learned to do laundry on the weekends since a lot of students seemed to leave over the weekends. Otherwise, I had to lug my laundry up and down stairs to get to one of the other laundry rooms.

One summer during that time, I got an internship in a nearby town. I was able to rent a small apartment in a duplex. It had hookups, but no furnished appliances. I was only going to be there for a couple of months, so I didn't bother getting a washer and dryer. So, I went to the laundromat to do my laundry while I was there.

Then, when I moved from my hometown to where I currently live, I rented a small one-bedroom apartment for the year before my wife and I got married. My hometown is 10-11 hours away. My wife and I were friends from college, and our friendship had developed into a long-distance relationship. So, I came here to be with her. The apartment I rented didn't have in-room laundry, but it did have a laundry room. I never used it, though, because my wife had a washer and dryer at her place. I stayed there most of the time anyway, and just used my apartment for storage of my stuff.
                      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Ugh, this happens frequently at our current place. There are three washers and three driers for 24 family units (about 1/3 of which have young children, which usually doubles the laundry load). The washers only run for 40 minutes, while the driers go for a whole hour, meaning that on busy days the wet laundry piles up as everyone has to wait for the driers to open up. On top of that, one of the driers is crap. Almost any load put in it for one dry cycle comes out damp still, moreso if there's denim or terrycloth in the load at all. Forget trying to run a comforter; none of the machines are large enough.

On top of that, there's at least one person who has a tendency to take up all three washers at once, and at peak times too. I can tell it's one person taking them up because they leave their baskets in front of the occupied machines (as most people here do), and the baskets are all identical.

There's another family that also tends to leave loads down there for hours on end. They're not soaking them. Can't really do that in these machines, since they're all front-loading. They just run the washer and then forget about it for a good three hours. And it's always the same family here, because they have distinctive laundry baskets. I usually give people five minutes after a machine stops before I unload it, just in case they set an alarm for right at the cycle's end and are on their way. After that five minutes, I toss their stuff into their baskets or an empty chair and use the machine myself. With this particular family, I'll come down to move stuff to the dryer, then again to empty the dryer, and sometimes even a third time if I've got loads going in sequence (to keep from using all the machines at once), only to find that wet laundry still sitting there.

I can't even do the late-at-night trick, because we've been specifically asked by management not to do loads during quiet hours since it disturbs the people who live right above the laundry room.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I've known some people in the military dorms who would put their stuff in the washer and abandon it, knowing that the next person would come along, see that their load is finished, and then move it to the dryer for them just to free up the washer. All the lazy person had to do was come back later to pull the stuff out of the dryer. If they waited long enough, someone would usually pull the lazy person's clothes out of the dryer and put them in the basket.

I wasn't so nice. Once I figured out that was happening, their wet clothes went into the empty basket that was left on the machine. One guy got wise to it and took his basket with him. His clothes went into the sink. (Disclaimer: I knew which people they were since all of their clothes had their id on them. Names I didn't recognize got the benefit of the doubt the first few times.)
                          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Anyone ever get a nasty note or a stink-eye from the wet-laundry person for taking their stuff out of the machine? I got one of those once when I lived in a six-unit (with 3 or 4 roommates to each unit) that had two washers and two driers. Sorry (not) but I do have other things to do on my day off and I don't have time to wait for you to remember your wet laundry. I do NOT miss living in a multi-family building.
                            I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
                              Anyone ever get a nasty note or a stink-eye from the wet-laundry person for taking their stuff out of the machine? I got one of those once when I lived in a six-unit (with 3 or 4 roommates to each unit) that had two washers and two driers.
                              Not yet, but I'm just waiting for one, since there are signs in the room and reminders from management in our e-mail to be courteous to our neighbors and not hog the machines, and that unattended laundry is not the responsibility of the university or housing office. If anyone ever does leave me a nasty note, I'll just leave one back telling them maybe they should set a timer to remind them when to collect it so other people won't have to leave the wet underwear piled up on the folding table.

As for the stink-eye, I'd put on my best Retail Smile and remind them that they're not the only residents in the building.
                              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                              X