This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh hotel woe

Why is it that hotels are expected to have everything, for free, at any given moment? On a side-note, our hotel is a hotel oddity anymore; most hotels of our brand have at least a fridge available in the rooms. Our owners are stingy & old, they say we can’t get them standard until 2010. This causes vast amounts of issues. Tonight, for example:

Guest is heating things up in the lobby microwave. His little girl, no more then 5, is wondering around the lobby counting. It’s cute.

Guest comes up to the desk:
    SC: I was wondering if I could put this in your fridge over there. (Holds up a quart of milk, motions to our hotel kitchen used for breakfast which isn’t meant for guests to just wonder in & out of)
    Me: Oh sure. I will put it back in our storage back here because that area is only for our breakfast goods and it might get mixed up (actually, it’s a health issue that guests shouldn’t be allowed to wonder in & out at leisure).
    SC: Oh okay. (gets snotty) Well, it wouldn’t be an issue but the hotel doesn’t seem to have any microwave safe cups.
    Me: Yeah I am sure sorry about that (As if it’s our duty that you didn’t bring the proper equipment for your trip!)
    SC: Yeah okay, that’s okay. (hands me milk, but goes to leave)
    Me: Can I get your room number (for filing so other workers know what they are looking for)?
    SC: Yeah it’s ##
    Me: Okay, is it alright if I write it on the milk carton?:
    SC: Oh yeah, sure

Also:

(not a guest, but for technically purposes, SC anyway)
    SC: (comes through main doors) My father is in the hospital.
    Me: okay (there was no prompt nor anything else)
    SC: So I need to get into his room, room ##, and get his pills so we know what he is on.
    Me: Me, okay…well I will need to call management to make sure that is okay. (Management doesn’t answer, phone is going crazy): Well, she isn’t answering but I know I need at least an ID from you in order to let you in a room.
    SC: What? I need his pills. He is in the hospital.
    Me: I understand that part. I do apologize. But for legal issues we can’t just let people into other people’s rooms. (gives me a very bad look) These rules are established because of stalking issues and the such.
    SC: I need to help him!
    Me: Well, if I can get an ID off of you and you verify the name on the room that is the least I need.
    SC: *huff* Well, the name on the room is (literally names 4 different names).
    Me: Okay (figures that works that one of the names was the actual name, I guess) I still need to get an ID off of you.
    SC: Fine *leaves in a huff, has yet to return*
    (Will person blame us if there is a death??? Why would getting your ID for someone you love who is sick be such an issue???)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    SC: How late is your pool open?
    Me: It’s open 24 hours for anyone over 18.
    SC: Oh, so what if I am in there with her (i.e. daughter)?
    Me: Usually after 11pm is the time set aside for people who wish to exercise, but if there is no one in there at that time, it would be fine.
    SC: Okay, we prolly won’t use it anyways.
    Me: (Why ask then???? Just to bitch??? Tons of people get upset about the hours for children, but when I make exceptions they rarely show up or they abuse the exception.)

------------------------------
    Our hotel has two wings. One building, just separate wings. The east wing was added in 2003 because we seemed to be constantly booked. As a result, both wings have their own elevators; about half of the guests we explain this to actually listen. So…

SC: (making a scene) Okay! Seriously! This room doesn’t exist!
    Me: I am sorry? What room are you looking for?
    SC: (room in east wing) It doesn’t even exist!!! (I love the 'room doesn't exist' SCs. Yeah, ha! Jokes on you!?)
    Me: I am sorry. It does, but it’s in our east wing that has a separate elevator system. To get there just take a left at the first exit sign down the hallway instead of a right.
    SC: What? What are you saying? (looks down hallway as if I just spoke in binomials)
    Me: At the first exit sign where there are elevators to the right? Well, instead of taking a right, take a left and go down the hallway and there is a different elevator system.
    SC: I have no idea what you are saying here. I have to leave the building? (Did I say you did??)
    Me: (????) Okay, let me go ahead and help ya out (exit the desk even though it’s against regulations, grab keys to lock up).
    SC: I show them exactly what they do. And they act like I just stubbed their toe. This situation is typical of guests who haven’t listened.
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

You're old enough to drink, right? At least in Canada, right?

Have a drink on me. We both seem to be having bad days. *shares booze and chocolate cake*
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post

Have a drink on me. We both seem to be having bad days. *shares booze and chocolate cake*
      If it makes you two feel better, this seems to be a universal "bad day/night" for us hotel industry folks. Did I miss a memo or something that all the idiots would be out tonight?

As for Hippie, your "father in the ER" guy sounds familiar...caught a guy from a FOX news crew trying to get keys into a room with that story once. He got rather uncomfortable when two police officers we happened to have strolling through heard him screaming and decided to come have a look. Made us look damn good on their broadcast though!

Also, I'll trade you my pool people for yours...our pool closes at 10pm and opens at 6am. I've had everything...including one gem of a woman drinking from a GLASS (drinking alcohol, of course, neither of which is allowed), demanding to be let into the pool while we were shocking the pool (basically loading it with horrible chemicals to clean it). Getting in the water at that time would have hurt them, so we said no. She then asks about the hot tub, which is also getting shocked, and the Sauna, which is locked up since it's in the same area. We say no, and she drops this bomb: My pregnant friend needs to use the hot tub and sauna!

Ma'am, you do know that saunas and hot tubs are required to carry warnings that they may cause birth defects if used while pregnant, right?

And finally, I feel you about the "wings" of your hotel...our architecture is strange, in that we have 2 elevator banks, back-to-back, that hit different areas of the hotel. The "Low Rise" goes from 1-21, the "High Rise" hits 1-5, (lobby, meeting floors, and health club level) then skips and only hits 22-37 from there. The elevators also require key access to use after 10pm until 6am.

You have no idea how big of an idiot trap these two things are...well, actually, you do. Never mind. We share misery, cheers, shots for all!
      "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
      "What IS fun to fight through?"
      "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post

lol yeah I am 26.

Oh & it's "nice" to see others suffering like me...or something
        Last edited by thehippie777; 07-07-2008, 06:19 AM.
        When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Working...
        X