This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5000 miles is NOT "close proximity"

So the past couple years, we've had some restaurants close down, and Boss Man finally got around to updating our motel's info online. So he goes and prints out the list of "nearby areas and attractions" so it can be updated.

And the list was loooooooong. Too long.

Apparently, state parks in "Connecticut" are a "nearby" attraction. We are on the opposite coast from Connecticut.

Many of the stuff is still in state, or in the nearby frozen waste to the north. Those are at least a day's drive, though I still don't think that counts as "nearby". It's as if they looked up everything in WA state and in BC and threw it all in there.

But Madison, WI? Connecticut? New Jersey? WTH? There's a few random ones from far away that make no sense!

These were not there the last time we updated our online info. I know because I reviewed the info before it was sent in.

I don't know how these things got added. I have to do a lot of Googling tonight to figure out what's really local and what isn't, though. I've already given it a once-over and crossed out the obvious, but I'm not sure on some of the parks and places.

Who the hell did this to our info?!?!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Somebody who'd had a full 24-pack by 3 a.m.?

People who show up at your motel and want to go visit Connecticut and be back in time for supper are going to be in for a bit of a shock ...

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      "nearby areas and attractions"

But Madison, WI?
      It's nearby to me
      actually I'm kinda smack dab in the middle of it, it's lovely, you should come visit. See the majestic moosetheatre.....
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Apparently some people from Big Nearby U. have been creative in their talks to foreign students and why they should study at BNU ... because Toronto is just a hop, skip and a jump away! I have no idea whether this is on their official literature or what, but I was told they make it sound like you can see TO from your dorm room.

It's not exactly on the other side of the province, but it IS about 61 km (40 miles) away.

Comment

A couple of years ago I had an experience which made me rethink what some people consider 'close' and 'distant'.

We consider ourselves 'close' to Healesville Sanctuary. After all, it's only a couple of hours drive away, on the freeway. But we had a guest from the Netherlands (Holland) with us, and we took her there. She was terribly confused because we were travelling so far....

Apparently the entire Netherlands can be crossed in a similar space of time, at freeway speed.

I think if I were running a hotel/motel/whatever, I'd put a simplified map of local attractions up, with approximate distances and travel time. Let people decide for themselves how 'close' is 'close'. Someone who lives in Canada/US/Australia/Brazil vs someone who lives in the Netherlands/Luxembourg/etc ... different perceptions.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            A couple of years ago I had an experience which made me rethink what some people consider 'close' and 'distant'.
            It's like that saying goes: Americans think 100 years is a long time, English think 100 miles is a long way.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              It's like that saying goes: Americans think 100 years is a long time, English think 100 miles is a long way.

^-.-^
              Love it!

I remember somebody recounting a train trip her parents took, with the understanding they'd be crossing the country. So they packed up books (for reading) and puzzle books and snacks and drinks and ... and what they were crossing was a very narrow expanse of England, somewhere maybe around Newcastle upon Tyne, where it is, comparatively, really skinny. I think they got off at the end with about 98% of the stuff they'd packed for the trip unopened and untouched.

Comment

There *is* a line from Newcastle to Carlisle, which is indeed pretty much the narrowest part of the country. I forget exactly how long it takes, as it isn't a very fast line, but it can't be more than 2 hours. A simple look in the timetable would show that much, so planning fail...

If they wanted an all-day journey, they should have tried travelling the *length* of the country. Penzance to Inverness would be a pretty good choice.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

We consider ourselves 'close' to Healesville Sanctuary. After all, it's only a couple of hours drive away, on the freeway. But we had a guest from the Netherlands (Holland) with us, and we took her there. She was terribly confused because we were travelling so far....

Someone who lives in Canada/US/Australia/Brazil vs someone who lives in the Netherlands/Luxembourg/etc ... different perceptions.
                  I have that same problem! 2 hour drive in New Mexico is nothing.

And I have to admit that I forget about size/population density.

You also get the how "close" is "close" debate in the US the farther west you go. Especially when several East Coast states will fit in some of the Western ones.
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

^-.-^
                    Completely agree. Change Americans for Aussies and it's still right.

I have travelled around the UK and Ireland a lot. I don't bat an eyelid at the length of the train/bus journeys. I have had locals completely baffled at how I can possibly go somewhere 3 hours away and not stay somewhere on the way.

When you regularly do a 6-hour round trip to visit your grandma on a weekend, 3 hours is nothing.
                    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

3 hours is nothing. Truly. I can do that in one shot without even making a pit stop.

My biggest trip so far was a 12-hour (each way) jaunt up to South Lake Tahoe and back over the course of a weekend. After working a full friday, and then working a full Monday after. Oh, yeah, and I worked both days of the weekend and did all the driving, too. >_<

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Geeze. And here I am overjoyed because my daily commute is going to be cut from 1 hour each way to 10 minutes each way. I'm going to save nearly $300 in gas every month!

It's not the longest commute I've ever had, either. BC folks might appreciate just how long it takes to get from Chilliwack to Burnaby Mountain... I did that for a couple of years.

I spend my weekends looking for excuses not to drive anywhere.
                        What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

The commute is one of the reasons I like living in the city proper. Other than some odd jobs my then-hubby picked up (he wasn't the most savvy) and once after I moved to a different city, I've never had a commute that took longer than 20 minutes during rush hour.

^-.-^

Comment

My commute is fortunately only half an hour. I live on the edge of the municipality and work somewhere near the centre of it, and the public transport connections are good on the way.

Travelling further within Finland can take a while, though. There aren't many cities big enough to be worth mentioning, and they're scattered throughout the lower two-thirds of the country. (The top third is Lapland, and there are almost no centres of population there.) On the flip side, the whole country is about as long as Britain.

Comment

My dad used to have a commute that was often close to two hours with traffic. That's just going one direction. He worked 9 to 5, but would often leave around 6am and not get home until after 7pm.
                              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                              X