Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you could say that weakness-interview line if you accompanied with a laugh and a nervous smile. I get nervous in interviews, and I don't think acknowledging is a bad thing, and a little friendly joke may break the ice. I know interviews aren't social ocassions but the best interviews I've had are ones where you can get a rapport working with the interviewer and a couple of little jokes like that can go down well if executed well

I've also had a couple of instances of the interview indicating the incompetence of the staff at the job you've applied for. One of my first ones was for a small clothing store that was successful for a few years but then died a death, and was run by some rather air-headed ladies. I was 18 a the time, and I was called for an interview, only to arrive to find that they hadn't read my CV properly...I had only had a cleaning job and a saturday job up till this, yet they thought I'd had more experience, and had somehow worked out my age from the birth-date provided as 24. It was a management position, so the interview pretty much lasted 5 minutes. I didn't get it (obviously) but I was glad really!

The other was for a Calvin Klein outlet. The interview actually went really well, and I got a trail shift which went appallingly badly- they didn't tell me until i arrived that they had forgotten they had a huge bunch of inspectors coming in that day and would I possibly come in another day? Keep in mind I had already paid for my train ticket to get here and we had arranged this day because it was the only one I had available due to work commitments! So they deceided to muddle...the first hour was fine, but then the inspectors came in, along with a flurry of customers, and the manager interviewing me basically told me to serve. I couldn't use their tills, so instead I was trying to find stock in a stock room and a store that I was completely unfamilliar with, with customers demanding bra fittings and other things I wasn't trained for. It was a disaster, and I failed. But I personally think that wasn't my fault...I tried my best but I had no idea how their stock room was planned out, or their shop floor for that matter. It may sound like I'm just passing the buck, but it seems to me that it was the manager's fault; she had forgotten about the inspectors, had tried to send me away (didn't try to contact me prior to my arrival!) and then tried to basically make me work for free without training. Of course I didn't get the job!

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
      Then he started asking me about salary requirements....I didn't want to come right out and name a number; afraid I'll either low-ball myself or price myself out of the market.
      Aaargh, I hate that! I hate the salary requirement question, for exactly the reason you listed. I need a job, but I also need a living wage, and not have to scramble to pay the rent every month or kill myself for a pittance.

Yes, I know why they do this, everyone's trying to save money, but still, it just seems so underhanded.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
        Them: What's your greatest weakness?
        Me: Interviews.
        I wish I could say that because it's the truth.

I hate interviews so much because you never know what they're going to ask, what they are looking for in an applicant, and even if I do make a note of what to say, I still freeze up at certain points.

It's not fair! Just because I can't jump through these stupid hoops doesn't mean I won't be able to do the job!

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
          *large snip*

It may sound like I'm just passing the buck, but it seems to me that it was the manager's fault; she had forgotten about the inspectors, had tried to send me away (didn't try to contact me prior to my arrival!) and then tried to basically make me work for free without training. Of course I didn't get the job!
          No, I don't think you're passing the buck. Your experience doesn't say much about Calvin Klein stores, other than perhaps they think the name alone will ensure that potential employees will be willing to put up with any crap just so they can work there. The fact you had other work commitments and had to take a train to get there and she couldn't be bothered (or didn't remember, not that it matters) to call you and tell you about the inspectors and re-schedule you was a red flag already. Then when she basically threw you under the bus by expecting you to work -- for free -- with absolutely no training ... yeah, I'm thinking maybe you weren't too disappointed about not getting that job ....

Quoth rageaholic View Post
          *snip*

It's not fair! Just because I can't jump through these stupid hoops doesn't mean I won't be able to do the job!
          I sympathize. Lately, especially, I find myself having to refrain from saying "Oh for crying out loud, this isn't nuclear physics or brain surgery!! Just GIVE me the freakin' job already!!!"

Comment

Working...
          X