This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the End of the World already?

I've no idea where to put this, so mods, please - I guess people coming to my garage sale would be considered customers, but it isn't about SCs, but instead the lack of them

That's right, I'm fearing the end has come now rather than next December. Cause I'm having a major garage sale (decluttering, & trying to get some cash for bills, hubby still hasn't found a job and unemployment ran out....

And I had no SC's all day. Amazing. While I was setting up, someone pulled up, and asked me if it was too early They actually asked, rather than barging in and proceeding to rummage through unopened boxes in my garage.

Some people asked if I'd take less, but no one got mad if I didn't, or wanted it for nothing, or threw a tantrum.

Several people actually asked if I had enough change, and apologized for not having a smaller bill.

And while I can't say everyone was extremely tidy, no one really trashed stuff, even though I had loads of containers of small craft stuff.

So is the end of the world nigh? Or maybe I just dreamed it all and the real
    sale hasn't started yet? Or maybe I'm just in for one h**l of a day tomorrow

Of course, I have had at least three people this past week on Craigs List who absolutely positively wanted an item suddenly disappear into the vastness of the universe, never to be reached by email again..... Oh well, what they wanted is now out at the garage sale, and hopefully will sell before they contact me in another few days wondering why I didn't save it for them

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's struggle to find a new job and the financial issues.
    *sends chocolate chip cookies over*

As to your garage sale ... isn't it sad that it's such a notable event when there aren't any SCs?? Still, glad to hear you had a reasonably good day.

Crossing my fingers for you both. I'm sure there's a good job heading your hubby's way!

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
      I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's struggle to find a new job and the financial issues.
      *sends chocolate chip cookies over*

As to your garage sale ... isn't it sad that it's such a notable event when there aren't any SCs?? Still, glad to hear you had a reasonably good day.

Crossing my fingers for you both. I'm sure there's a good job heading your hubby's way!
      Thanks so much, I appreciate the good thoughts. It's been pretty stressful for quite some time, but I still hold out hope it'll be better soon. I'm a firm believer in "good energy", so am always happy to accept good wishes, crossed fingers, prayers, chants, spells or chickens sacrificed in my name - well, not really on that last one, unless it's a tofu chicken

On the good side, we made enough to cover this month's utilities, cells & ISP, as well as the part of the mortgage not covered by the tiny income we have at the moment. So not bad for a couple of days work, including one half-rained out.

With any luck, he'll at least soon find a job, to pay some bills, while he keeps on looking for a good job, lol.

Comment

Well, I do have a package of tofu in my fridge that I bought for dinner and still haven't got around to using ...

One thing the outsourcing person told my little group was to remember it wasn't our fault we were let go. And I thought, "Damn right it wasn't; my [former] employers were idiots!" I believe the vast majority of people laid off are good workers and the companies that laid them off are the poorer for it. No, that sort of thing doesn't pay the bills, but it does help to keep discouragement at bay.

I don't know your location but are there any programs or anything for people who are hunting for work? We had something called a Job Finding Club here for ages --I was in one of the last of them before the government cut the funding (because the economy's in such great shape, ya know!) A lot of people said they were very helpful because in each group, people were not only looking for jobs for themselves, but they were also encouraged to take note of jobs that might suit others in the group.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          Well, I do have a package of tofu in my fridge that I bought for dinner and still haven't got around to using ...

One thing the outsourcing person told my little group was to remember it wasn't our fault we were let go. And I thought, "Damn right it wasn't; my [former] employers were idiots!" I believe the vast majority of people laid off are good workers and the companies that laid them off are the poorer for it. No, that sort of thing doesn't pay the bills, but it does help to keep discouragement at bay.

I don't know your location but are there any programs or anything for people who are hunting for work? We had something called a Job Finding Club here for ages --I was in one of the last of them before the government cut the funding (because the economy's in such great shape, ya know!) A lot of people said they were very helpful because in each group, people were not only looking for jobs for themselves, but they were also encouraged to take note of jobs that might suit others in the group.
          Haven't heard of anything like that locally, but will have to check further, thanks. Yeah, definitely discouraging, but at least he can't blame himself - the government project he was working on got pulled, so the entire team was laid off at once, definitely not his fault. But hard to find a job when you don't have one - Sony recently went public and admitted they have a strict policy of trashing any resume from anyone not currently working, no matter what the reason - they'll hire someone with half the experience who already has a job but not someone with twice the experience who has been laid off. Makes you wonder how many other companies do that and don't admit to it.

Thanks again for all the good thoughts.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
            Sony recently went public and admitted they have a strict policy of trashing any resume from anyone not currently working, no matter what the reason - they'll hire someone with half the experience who already has a job but not someone with twice the experience who has been laid off.
            So... They'd rather hire someone that will jump ship at the first opportunity than hire someone who didn't voluntarily choose to leave their last position?

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              So... They'd rather hire someone that will jump ship at the first opportunity than hire someone who didn't voluntarily choose to leave their last position?

^-.-^
              In this economy that's something that just cries out for a massive boycott of their products on the part of the public. What assholes.

Comment

Merri- don't know if you've tried this, but it's possible the state you live in (I'm assuming you're in the US) may have some sort of job services sort of thing (not necessarily called exactly that). No guarantees it'll help, but it might be worth at least looking into if you haven't already.

The way it's worked when I've worked with programs of that sort is you go in and get set up with a case file, then get access to a list of job openings being listed by various places through the job services office. Often they have applications from those employers there for people to fill out. Couple of places I've lived had several employers who ONLY hired via the job services center, plus since it'd be a state run agency, they also have government jobs listed.

Good luck to you and your husband!
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Maybe your husband put a sign out the front...
                  "Sucky Customers will be shot"

Best of luck to him finding a job and you both getting through your financal issues.
                  Sucky Employees = The result of sucky customers getting a job...

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                    Sony recently went public and admitted they have a strict policy of trashing any resume from anyone not currently working, no matter what the reason - they'll hire someone with half the experience who already has a job but not someone with twice the experience who has been laid off. Makes you wonder how many other companies do that and don't admit to it.
                    Last time I was out of work I signed up with the local college for assorted short cheap/free to the unemployed courses. Meant my CV read;

date - date (job description)
                    date - current - studying computer skills at (local) college.

So I was listed as a student, instead of unemployed, which helped.
                    If I'd have stayed out of work any longer, I'd have looked for work in a charity shop - wouldn't have to list it a unpaid/volunteer work on the CV, all charities I know of have paid staff too. Good luck.

Comment

My current job came through a directed temp agency (Robert Half Technology). I've found the temp agencies that are looking for specific skills are usually good at placing people in temp-to-hire positions. You might see if there's one that deals with your husbands type of work.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Speaking of colleges, we have a program going in Ontario called Second Career ... if you qualify, they pay you to go to school! If your hubby is willing to try retraining, maybe there's something similar in your neck of the woods? If not government-funded, than maybe something through the local college(s)?

By the way, Scruff, that's a great idea! Even if he doesn't want to go back to school fulltime, it still offers some protective coloration!

Good luck to you both.

Comment

Working...
                        X