This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superfreak!

I am positively baffled, but not too surprised.

I was out with our roomie Phlip this morning. She and I were enjoying a little bit of sunlight in the park before her eye exam. I decided to rebraid my hair because some had worked loose, and I prefer to do it outside so birds and squirrels can get the loose hair I throw away to use in nestbuilding. My hair being butt length is perfect for the little buggers.

So I unbraid it, and am doing a german comb [using my hands and fingers instead of a plastic comb. No idea why it is called that.] Some sucky lady waddles up and starts ragging on me about my hair [which I have always considered one of my best features] and telling me I should cut it short because the huge length of it will give me terrible headaches, and besides mature women cut their hair short and get hairdressers to perm it [I guess I should look like Estelle Getty in Golden Girls?]

I think the whole mass produced hair where all 'mature' women shouldn't have long hair because long hair is for little girls is a bit outdated ... and even when my hair was twice as thick and down to my knees it never gave me headaches ...

WTF, bitch?!
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

If my hair gets below the top of my shoulder blades, it does give me headaches and neck strain. So there is a case for it being an issue for some people ....

.... but if you were someone who suffered from long hair issues, you would know!

As for certain hairstyles being appropriate for people of certain ages: well, some cultures do have that tradition. Heck, British-derived cultures have had that tradition. But it's in the past. I thought the last vestiges of it went away in the 1960s and 70s!

Hm. Which reminds me. It's time I got Bast to cut my hair. I've got a headache.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

What a weirdo. I also keep my hair short because it causes problems (headaches, caught in car doors etc) but it's hardly my business if anyone else has long hair or short or no hair or rainbow hair or whatever. Sounds like an old busybody with nothing better to do.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

My hair has been every length from shaved to almost down to my butt (it doesn't seem to want to get any longer than that =/ ). Currently it's long, because my boyfriend likes it that way and I have plenty of time to take care of it. If anyone else tried to tell me I should cut it, especially as rudely as that lady seemed to, they'd be told to mind their own business.

And for what it's worth, I look horrible with short hair.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I've had some pretty dang long hair before (for a man, anyway) and if anyone had ever bitched about it, my response would've been along the lines of "It's not attached to your head, so why do you care?"
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Sounds like the old busybody was jealous of your Rapunzelesque locks. Deserted's reply is perfect for people like that.

I've got waist-length hair myself, and it's grown to hip-length on occassion. If I get neck aches, or wake up to discover hubby sleeping on top of it , then I get it cut...to just past my shoulders. (Short hair does not look good on me; the shortest length that works is past shoulders.) But I will decide when to make that decision, and not some jealous old Nosy Nellie.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Eff En I had mah haid up mah ass, I'd cut it short...

too...
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Here is a list of people allowed to give me unfettered criticism about my hair without any repercussions:

Mom.

Here is a list of people allowed to comment on my hair in some way without too many serious repercussions, in order if priority.

Mom.
                Best friend.
                Nieces 1-6 (ie, all of them).
                Oksana, the girl who cuts my hair. (She's a professional, after all!)
                Good friends.
                Friends.
                Bosses.
                Coworkers.
                Siblings.
                Relatives.

Anyone not falling on the above lists falls under The Other List. Anyone on The Other List offering their opinion on my hair is likely to get one of the following responses:

Go fuck yourself.
                Who the fuck asked you?
                Who the fuck do you think you are?
                Fuck off.
                Go fuck a goat.
                I distinctly remember NOT asking your fucking opinion.
                Feel free to shut the fuck up.
                If I wanted your opinion, I would have scooped up donkey shit off the side of the fucking road.

You get the idea.

Strangers commenting on it? Just out casually in public? Bitch, PLEASE!

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                I think the whole mass produced hair where all 'mature' women shouldn't have long hair because long hair is for little girls is a bit outdated ...
                As I get older, I hope more and more that that is not true, as I love long hair on women.

Then again, my alternative is to date younger and younger women, and I'm not necessarily opposed to that, either.....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

I really hate nosy old biddies!!

I had hair down to my butt for years. Never gave me a headache. I finally got bored with it and had it cut, but it's still a little past my shoulders. Both my sisters have very long hair, and we're all in our 50's. If anyone suggested that I get one of those poofy old-lady cuts, my response would be
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I grow out my hair and every couple of years when its waist length and I get fed up with it (naturally thick and slightly wavy), I cut it to shoulder length and mail the mass off to Locks of Love.

Rest of the year? Well I have a robin that builds her nest up under my back porch in a protected corner, so I throw my hair brush leavings down that direction for her.
                    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Working...
                    X