This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    You can say that again. I had the tensioner on my truck's serpentine belt die (the pulley on it broke off) on I476.
    I had a timing belt adjuster fail on my Mazda on the way home from work. As I was crossing the bridge, it felt like cylinders were shutting down one by one. I made it across the bridge, but the car died at the next light. Luckily, I was able to roll it out of the way. Still, it took 3 hours to get home. I found out later that the timing belt adjuster failed, throwing the belt off the pulleys, and destroying it.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I believe most of the streamlined Tatras had rear-wheel drive and fore-aft mounted engines... even though the engine was at the back, eliminating the long driveshaft. They thus used a traditional-type differential rather than a FWD-type one.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
        Other notable examples of "north-south" engines in FWD, include the Cord 810/812 and the original Oldsmobile Toronado. The Cord's engine was actually reversed, with the transmission at the front. Drive to the front wheels was via shafts. As for the Olds (and the similar Cadillac Eldorado), the engine was mounted normally. Driving the front wheels was done with chains.
        Don't forget the older (60s, 70s, and into the 80s) Buick Riviera, cousin to the Toro and Eldo (in fact, all three used the exact same transaxle).

The front-drive Taurus SHO for a while had a transverse V8 - 3.2 liters, if memory serves.

Pontiac had an interesting arrangement with the early Tempest models. Front engine, conventional north/south mount, four cylinder or that tiny little 215 (3.5L) V8, but the car had a true independent rear suspension and REAR TRANSAXLE. Yup, either a 3-speed manual or two-speed automatic in the REAR of the car, connected to the engine via something called a 'torque tube'. It was a expensive to manufacture and a maintenance headache, and it wasn't long before the Tempest name was applied to a more conventional, slightly larger model.

Oh, and that four-cylinder (194 cubic inches, woo hoo!) was very literally the right half of Pontiac's 389 V8. Those 'little' fours were notorious for the way they thrashed around at idle, especially the automatics.

Of course, Corvairs had an odd drive arrangement, too - similar to the original VW Beetle, it was an air-cooled rear-engine, rear-transaxle arrangement, but with six instead of four cylinders. I had one of those things; I can tell you some stories.

Also, one of the early concepts for Ford's Mustang was for it to be a MID-engine, rear-wheel-drive two seater - and the engine would likely have been an English-built four-banger. Mercury would later adopt the mid-engine arrangement in their exotic import, Pantera, but instead of a four-popper, they opted for a genuine 351 Cleveland V8, coupled to a 5-speed ZF transaxle... all wrapped up in an Italian-designed sports car. (Insert Tim Allen grunt here).

Comment

If you want to get really weird, how about the Plymouth Prowler, with an LHS motor in the front connected to a rear mounted transaxle via a torque tube.
          Seph
          Taur10
          "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Of course, Corvairs had an odd drive arrangement, too - similar to the original VW Beetle, it was an air-cooled rear-engine, rear-transaxle arrangement, but with six instead of four cylinders. I had one of those things; I can tell you some stories.
            Sounds a lot like the classic Porsche spec, actually. The opposed-six engine - where the Beetle used an opposed-four - is the one often called the "boxer".

Many modern aircraft engines (that aren't turbines) are also O-4 or O-6 layout, for two reasons: it maximises visibility over the nose in single-engine aircraft (since you don't have to peer around the engine block), and the opposed layout is also inherently balanced, minimising vibration.

Comment

Ok so I know NOTHING about vehicles. Besides where oil, etc goes and how to check the levels of same. Beyond that..I get in and they go, or don't. Complete and absolutely ignorant about anything BUT very (and I mean very) basic preventative measures. Was just lucky the belt when it broke in two caught on something so that I actually had the belt. Despite this, first stop was at 'Auto Value' (not a made up name, actual name of the place), and they gave me the wrong belt. Belt I had, had 4 grooves, belt they gave me had ZERO. Something not right here. Even I can tell that belt with no grooves didn't fit.. so I took it back in. They didn't have the part, had to order it. Decided against it and went to Auto Zone. For 1/2 the price that it would have cost me for Value to order it, got it right the first time AND loaned me the tools needed to put it on (Ok I didn't put it on. Hand me a tool, and I will jump up and down with it while screaming like a monkey, scratching my armpits, and being confused as to why tool no magically work). For those wondering it was a Drive Belt.
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                Sounds a lot like the classic Porsche spec, actually. The opposed-six engine - where the Beetle used an opposed-four - is the one often called the "boxer".

Many modern aircraft engines (that aren't turbines) are also O-4 or O-6 layout, for two reasons: it maximises visibility over the nose in single-engine aircraft (since you don't have to peer around the engine block), and the opposed layout is also inherently balanced, minimising vibration.
                Yup, and I seem to recall that old Corvair engines were favored by the 'experimental' aircraft crowd for a while. Probably because the were cheap, plentiful, lightweight, and of course, 'horizontally opposed' engines with the inherent benefits you mention.

For all the hate centered on the Chevy Corvair, nobody could accuse them of not running. Few people know it today, but the Corvair was one of the first mass-produced American cars that had an option for a turbocharger - and those little beasties were actually pretty spry for six-bangers.

Also in the early 1960s, Olds had a turbo option in their little Starfire, as well, but theirs was hooked to that tiny aluminum 215 V8. My uncle had one of those things, and there was a water-injecton system in the setup to keep preignition under control when that turbo was doing its thing. It wasn't 'just' water, either - there was methanol in the mix, and Olds used to sell it at their parts counters under the name 'Rocket Fuel' - a play on Olds' fascination with the 'Rocket' nomenclature.

It's hard to believe that most modern cars, despite all the updates and improvements and innovations that have occurred since the model-T, are still powered by the same basic internal-combustion process.
                Last edited by ADeMartino; 05-09-2014, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                  Ok so I know NOTHING about vehicles. Besides where oil, etc goes and how to check the levels of same. Beyond that..I get in and they go, or don't. Complete and absolutely ignorant about anything BUT very (and I mean very) basic preventative measures. Was just lucky the belt when it broke in two caught on something so that I actually had the belt. Despite this, first stop was at 'Auto Value' (not a made up name, actual name of the place), and they gave me the wrong belt. Belt I had, had 4 grooves, belt they gave me had ZERO. Something not right here. Even I can tell that belt with no grooves didn't fit.. so I took it back in. They didn't have the part, had to order it. Decided against it and went to Auto Zone. For 1/2 the price that it would have cost me for Value to order it, got it right the first time AND loaned me the tools needed to put it on (Ok I didn't put it on. Hand me a tool, and I will jump up and down with it while screaming like a monkey, scratching my armpits, and being confused as to why tool no magically work). For those wondering it was a Drive Belt.
                  I'm good on theory/how it works, but actually fixing it... not a good idea. Put a belt on, and i'm likely to make it so tight that i wear out bearings on all the accessories, which means new AC pump and/or alternator and/or power steering pump, and/or....

As to AutoValue, they're a bit hit or miss, kinda odd company. Here in STL we have Al's Autoparts who's the local AutoValue dealer, and they're primarily a repair shop supplier, they're stores are old fashioned with a minimum of retail space. Still, they have just about anything in stock in one of their stores or their warehouse. I think what you get with them really depends on the franchisee and how they choose to run things. With AutoZone/O'Reilly/Advance they're more retail oriented and stock common parts at all stores.
                  Seph
                  Taur10
                  "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Working...
                  X