This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a complete emotional mess

I sit here with a stuffed up nose and puffy eyes because my 15 year old sweet kitty is about to go to the rainbow bridge. It started in march when she developed neurological problems where it looked like she had a stroke. Apparently cats don't have strokes, but she was doing badly enough that the vet put her on a small dose of prednisone.

During the visit, she got some xrays done and it was found she had one enlarged kidney with fluid around it and one mishapen kidney. Also a slight heart murmur. Despite the murmur, the vet thought the pred would be beneficial to her. And it was. Until a couple of weeks later, she developed congestive heart failure and it was another trip to the vet. A few days of water pills and she was a little better. We weaned her off the pred and saved the water pills just in case there was a recurrance of the heart failure.

Follow up appointment two weeks later and the heart sounded fine, the vet decided to put her on a low dose of atenelol to help with the heart that she has been taking once nightly. The strange thing that happened was that after I brought her home this time, she was walking on the hock of her right back leg. A week and a half later she was back in business.

I took her back for another follow up appointment, got a refill on the atenelol and agreed to follow up again in six months. I brought her home and she was walking on the hocks of both back legs. Since then she's slowly backslid to where she stopped eating and walking around and meows every 30 minutes. I talked to my dad and we thought it would probably be for the best to put her down. I'll be calling the vet tomorrow.

I am so distraught at the thought of doing this, but I can't keep letting her suffer. I can't even think about it... my heart is broken and she's not even gone yet.

Cuddle her, kiss her. Show her you love her.

It is never easy, but you are doing the right thing -- remember that. Lots of hugs, I'm so sorry about this.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

More than doing the right thing, you're doing the kind thing. And what Tama said, show her you love her the ways she likes best.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Wow... I'm sorry, but it is the right choice, the humane thing to do. You have my best wishes.
        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Thank you. Its going to be a sleepless night. I can't even cuddle her tonight because she's at my parents house. My sister said she'd go with me and my dad possibly too. I just wish my baby would live forever. My brother brought her home as a kitten as a gift for my mom, but its me she connected with and I took her when I moved. My house wasn't suited for an aging kitty, so I brought her back to my parents around christmas last year. I actually took care of cleaning out her "room" of toys and such tonight because otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it for a long time. I'm going to donate her toys, unopened food, and litter to the local animal shelter.

Comment

So sorry to hear that! I know the sleepless night so well...Blessed be.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My beautiful calico baby Sadie has passed on. My sister was with me and it was very quick. She was hanging on by a thread. The staff at the animal hospital were very kind. She isn't in pain anymore, that's all that matters. Thank you all for your kind words.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss. Letting our furbabies go is the hardest part, and it's often the kindest thing we can do for them. One thing I remember when my dog Jem went to the Rainbow Bridge is how peaceful it was.

Comment

More hugs.

*hug hug hug*

*squidge*
                  "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

I'm so sorry, Lachesis. It's never an easy decision. I've been there too. *HUGS*
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

It's rough, I know. Sadie loved you as much as you loved her, and she misses you, too.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'm so sorry. You've been a good care taker of your furry friend. Just know you've taken the best care of her you could. /hugs

Comment

*squishy hugs*

*hands you a plushie to hug and a plate of cupcakes*
                          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                          -----
                          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Edit: Thanks Cindy.

For Lachesis, we know how you feel in our house, so our condolences to you. We had to say goodbye last year to a Malamute who we all loved who was 14, and just reached the point where he told us he was done (stopped eating, wouldn't really get up and move any more), and now it's looking like one of our other dogs, a Malamute mix who's also 14 is in bad shape. She blew out one of her ACLs on a rear leg, and is just too old to get a surgery for it at this point...so she's on pain killers, but at her age, we kind of know what's coming. That will leave us with one dog, a 2 or 3 year old Shepherd mix.

I also lost my last pair of Little Guys (rats) a while back, so I've had a bad few years of pets. It's always tough to see them go, but you had a lot of good years together, and a lot of the time it means helping them get away from pain. Doesn't make US hurt any less, but it's at least some consolation.
                            Last edited by KhirasHY; 05-11-2014, 12:50 AM.
                            "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                            "What IS fun to fight through?"
                            "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Working...
                            X