This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A call to the UN-Helpful Desk

Before getting to the story, let me set this up for...

Monday morning while doing my paperwork for the store in Podunk, my workstation dubbed MFS-2 (I think that means Monster F-ing Sh*t) gives me the blue screen of death not once, twice...but three times. So before I have installed Java 20 ounce into MY system...I have to call the UN-helpful desk and open a ticket. The ticket results in a field tech coming to the store because the problem cannot be fixed remotely. During the service call, 68....YES, SIXTY FRIGGIN EIGHT updates are done to my machine and the problem is declared RESOLVED and the ticket is closed.

Today, my workstation decides that it has better things to do than process data and decides to "peace out." So...I call the unhelpful desk....the on-call flunkie (OCF) gets back to me about 30 minutes later. I describe the problem...on-call remotes in...pokes around for a while with me on the line...in the background I hear a coworker of the OCF say...."oh...wow....um....call the location back..." So the on-call flunkie ditches me. She calls back about 15 minutes later trying to sound very composed.

OCF: "SO yeah, those errors...they aren't good. Can you tell me what you were doing when it happened?"
    CSM: "Sure, I was creating the management data...clicked the report..and got the error that I told you about."
    OCF: "No, not that error, the second error that I see on the screen."
    CSM: "I didn't do that you guys did it when you clicked out of FIRST error."
    OCF: "I didn't click anything...you had to."
    CSM: "Please don't argue with me...I have not had enough caffeine or nicotine for this."
    OCF: "Well do you happen to have more specific information about this alleged 'first' error."
    CSM: "Yes, Yes I do...I have a screen shot of it in paint...let me drive for a minute and pull it up for you."
    OCF: "Oh...wow, this is not good....look at this....um ok...lets just restart the machine."
    CSM: "Wait, do you have a solution or fix for this?"
    OCF: "No, I don't even know what caused it...but since Windows thought enough about it to put it in a communication window with "ERROR" at the top, I can tell you it isn't a 'good' thing."

REALLY...an error isn't a 'good' thing...who knew??? A solution...newp. A resolution...newp. Just an astute On-Call Flunkie that can read EXACTLY what I read to the phone rep 2 1/2 hours earlier. I am SO thankful for the phone center...at least I hear some one tell me they cant help and will send a Sysaid request to the next level that "May be able to find a connection between the error and the problem you are experiencing."

In my next life...I am gonna work in IT...I have some qualifications...I can identify an ERROR as a bad thing.

Yes

Yes, yes it is.

Comment

Quoth carryonnow View Post
      Windows thought enough about it to put it in a communication window with "ERROR"
      Can confirm with 30 plus years of experience that this is spot on. As can you with X years. So why do we need OCF?

Quoth carryonnow View Post
      OCF: do you happen to have more specific information about this alleged 'first' error."
      Ah, I see why. As a blame shifter.

Seriously, I'd talk to my sup about this incident in general, and this line in particular. In house in-fighting is bad enough, but if your tech support is outsourced, you are PAYING them to take responsibility.

Good luck con! (And welcome aboard, since I missed your entrance.)

Comment

I work for outsources IT Firm. This is all too common. To get a GOOD helpdesk tech you need to be paying $18-20/hr and most make at most $14. Anyone who has any skill quickly leaves for a better paying job and you get the OCFs seen here

Comment

Working...
        X