This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts for Bear The Dog

Anyone who's been here a while probably remembers I have a dog at my parents' place........a really old doggy.

Bear is a 13 year old lab retriever. I can't believe I was so idiotic to not notice it when I first moved back home (then again that was some months ago), but she isn't doing well anymore at all. There's nothing a vet can really do about it, being as she's so old.

She can't go for any walks longer than around the yard to do her duties, and she can barely hunch over to go potty anymore. She can barely walk around the house without slipping from her back legs.

Now she barely even goes to eat or drink anymore. My mom is feeding her by hand right now. Every other day or so she'll surprise us and get up and eat. But not much.

All she does now is sleep. I fear the worst is coming

God. Dammit.

I've had this dog since I was 12 years old. And I haven't spent nearly as much time with her or paid enough attention to her since I moved home as I should have.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

I'm sorry Blas. I'll send good vibes to you both.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Blas I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope you get to spend some quality time with your baby. I had to put down a 15 year old kitty 2 years ago due to a stroke. His brother is 17 and is still with me. He gave me a scare last month and I thought I was losing him. He would not eat and was hiding from me. Plus he was having squirts all over the house. I got him to start eating again by cooking him chicken. He is now back on cat food and eating fine. His bathroom behavior has also gone back to normal. I have had my seniors since the day they were born.

I truly understand the difficult situation you are currently facing. I wish I could reach out and give you a hug. Sometimes our babies can surprise us and I hope your baby rebounds unexpectedly.

Comment

I know how you feel. The dog that I still call "my dog" died when I was 19 and in college. We had her since I was 8. She was like another sister to me.

She died when I was at college on the last day of winter break. She collapsed and my mom had to get a neighbor to help her into the car. She had died by the time we got back from my mom picking me up. It was heart breaking.

I had the feeling before I left back to school for the summer that it might be the last time I'd see her, and I was right. I don't know why I got the feeling.

But we move on and continue to live. Nothing hurt me as much as that dog dying. She was the best.

Comment

Two years ago, my Fatty cat died, she was almost 15. I'd had her since I was 8 years old as well.

I'm realizing just how truly hard it is to lose lifelong pets

Baby is 11.....I certainly hope I can get several more years with her.

Comment

It amazes me at how we get so attached to our fur babies, more than just 'pets', but really a part of our families.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this right now, Blas, as I certainly understand. My old guy, Max, is soon to turn 14 and we're seeing the end nearing as well. We've discussed our options, and I just can't do it yet. We've had him since before our youngest boy was born. He's been my friend, my confidant, my rescue, my guardian.

Take some time to spend with your Bear, even if it is just to tell him you love him.

Comment

Blas, please don't dwell on what you feel you "should have" done, and just cherish the time you have left with Bear.

She knows that you love her. (But, of course, she won't mind if you frequently tell her so....)

Mike
              Meow.........

Comment

What really worries me is that Tiger (the newest pet we've had for a year and a half or so) the cat, who usually doesn't pay the dog much mind, has been cuddling with her a lot lately. It almost makes me wonder if they know something.

Comment

Animals do know things we don't. Listen to your pets, take comfort in their eyes. And like Justacashier said, don't dwell on the past, just cherish the time you have left with him/her.

Comment

Sorry Blas. spend time with her now. She'll appreciate it.

Comment

In 2005 I lost a dear cat named Tasha. She was 14.

We first got her in 1991 when I was only 10 years old. I was 24 when died.

Tasha had been with me through elementary school graduation, high school graduation AND college graduation.

She'd been through two different moves over her lifetime. She was my dear companion through some of the most significant years of my life.

Tasha had one of the best personalities I've ever seen a cat have. She was sweet, gentle, RARELY ever got aggressive and loved attention from people.

It was hard for me at the end. She had cancer in her throat which robbed her of her ability to meow.

I remember one of the last days I had her I sat with her on the couch and just pet her for awhile, trying not to cry. She looked up at me with this expression on her face that said "I don't want to go. I'll miss you too much."

Interestingly, she passed away on a Monday in April 2005, the day after I spent my first ever weekend vacation with the woman who would become my wife. In fact I called my then girlfriend that day and cried for I don't know how long because my furry companion had left me.

So, in a way, her passing marked the closing of one chapter of my life as a new one was opening.

I still miss her so much. I've met a lot of cats since (I have one right now) but none has ever been as sweet as she was.
                      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

*hugs Blas and Bear*

*group hug*

I really wish our furry petfriends/family stuck around longer.
                        Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 11-07-2012, 02:40 AM. Reason: punctuation
                        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                        -----
                        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

We ended up putting her down (at home) yesterday.

It was such a sad day.

And it was even harder to come home today and see her lead still outside and all of her toys still in the livingroom. There's a huge empty space by the window where her big dog bed used to be.

Comment

*HUGS* I'm so sorry Blas. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.
                            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I'm so sorry, Blas. Take comfort in the fact that she was at home, and didn't have to endure the stress & smells of a vet's office. Our family vet has been wonderful when we've had to put our dogs down. They'd come out to the car, where the dog was comfortable, and give the injections there. The dogs didn't even know they were at the vet.

It was just a year ago today that my 6-year old Himalayan, Casey, passed suddenly. Since a friend of mine was his breeder, I'd known him & held him since he was a day old. The pain does ease, but there will always be an empty spot inside you after they're gone. A year later, my new "kitten" Donny is now laying beside me on the couch. He'll never replace Casey, but I love him just the same.
                              That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Working...
                              X