This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding wool

Ok this is going to be strange but I thought we had some spinners on here so i am hoping.

My Dad and I having gotten my Mom a spinning wheel for Christmas. I want to get some wool to give to her first, then the wheel. But I have no idea what I am looking for.

I don't know what is a good spinning wool, especially for a beginner. I know I need to stay away from raw wool but other then that not a clue.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a million
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Not a textile crafter, but I'd suggest asking at the place you're going to get the spinning wheel. The wheel needs to be accompanied by either a pair of carding combs, or (less likely - costs a LOT more, and intended for higher volumes) a carding machine. The wheel source would also be a place to ask about other stuff that would be needed to get into spinning.

I can understand you being a bit sheepish about something where you have no experience.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Actually that would be a problem. We got the wheel off of ebay from a dealer in the Netherlands. It is a Bea spinning wheel. nice and compact. I will put up pictures when it gets here and we get it put together.

Don't have the sheep so really don't need the carding machine (though I would love to have one), I guess I am looking for roving? Wasn't sure if that was the save stuff as what i use in felting. And I can't ask my Mom since it might tip her off.

Mmmm wonder if I could get my google fu to work.
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

Comment

Check these places or ask at JoAnn's in S-Dale. They have some good resources there. I think you are still in the place or close to the place known for a topless toy place and naked coffee stands. , , , , I am actually going to PM you places to keep from identifying your area too much.

What you are looking for is called a roving. It is carded wool prepared for spinning.
        Last edited by Shpepper; 12-05-2012, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Here are a few that are fairly local
          http://www.pacificwoolandfiber.com/
          https://crownmountainfarms.com/
          http://www.etsy.com/shop/woolgatherings
          http://www.fiber2yarn.com/
          "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

I second Pacific Wool and Fiber. My roommate is a spinner (both drop spindle and wheel) and they've always had some quality fiber when we've gone. You may also want to see what local yarn shops that you have - they can either get you some or at least point you in the right direction.

Comment

Oh! Another great place for spinning fibers is Northwest Wools. Took the roomie there for her last birthday and let her loose. :-)

Comment

Thank you guys so much!!!! I will have a look through them tomorrow. Me, my Mom and my Aunt are taking a spinning class at Sew Expo next year (we hope). My mom is going to be shocked when she sees this thing. And then she will kill us since it wasn't cheap, though cheap for a spinning wheel.

I will make sure to post pics of it.

Comment

I don't spin (yet) but I do a lot of my yarn purchasing online at Knitpicks. They have roving available for sale there, 100% wool as well as blends, and you can pick from natural if you wanna dye your own, or buy it pre-dyed.

Comment

I have been spinning for a while and do have a few suggestions.

Start out with a wool but not a blend like silk or bamboo and wool because of how different the fibers are.

I have tried carding and it is so time consuming its worth paying a bit more for rolvings then for raw or washed wool.

In the spring you can find great deals on rolvings on Ebay but during this time of year etsy or the other stores offered are wonderful.

Have fun and don't worry about lump

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Not a textile crafter, but I'd suggest asking at the place you're going to get the spinning wheel. The wheel needs to be accompanied by either a pair of carding combs, or (less likely - costs a LOT more, and intended for higher volumes) a carding machine. The wheel source would also be a place to ask about other stuff that would be needed to get into spinning.

I can understand you being a bit sheepish about something where you have no experience.
                      indeed, you don't want to get the wool pulled over your eyes when trying to decide what to purchase!

i've not done it myself, but my boyfriend has done drop-spinning before when he was in SCA. so that may be something to check out - a local chapter may have information on what to look for.

Comment

I can't be the only pervert here who found the thread title hilarious, can I?

For those who don't get where I'm going, "wool" is another word for "trim," "skirts," or if I am going to be really crude, "poontang."

Yeah. I'm looking for some wool, too.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                        X