Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've come to a new conclusion vis-a-vis grocery stores...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mart of Wal's registers can fill the blasted check out for you. It was like this when I worked there 13 years ago. All you needed to was sign the check and the register would cheerfully chew on the check for a bit, printing in the blanks for you. I'd advise every check writing customer of this and STILL I'd get an old fart who could easily be beaten in a foot race by a SNAIL take 10 minutes to write their damn check.

Now? You don't even sign the check itself! *mutters dire things* And still I'll get stuck behind some snail beaten oldster who insists that they HAVE to write their damn checks! I just hand the cashier the check and let the register do the work. Sometimes, being lazy is a good thing!
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

^^We process checks electronically here. The customer doesn't need to write anything on it at all.
      The terminal just runs the check numbers, it authorizes, we stamp "VOID" on the check and hand
      it back to them with a slip that states the amount authorized...

I don't even say anything anymore if they start filling out the check. I'm tired of hearing the excuses
      they have for "needing" to fill it out. Just tired. Seriously.

Comment

Quoth Firecrackers Not Included View Post
        ^^We process checks electronically here. The customer doesn't need to write anything on it at all....I don't even say anything anymore if they start filling out the check. I'm tired of hearing the excuses they have for "needing" to fill it out. Just tired. Seriously.
        I hear you. We have the same type of system, yet these set-in-concrete technophobes just have to slooooowwwwlllyyy fill out their check just so, then balance their checkbook, double-check their math...all the time, the line behind them is growing, and of course, it's all my fault, not the customer's...
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

checks only line where if you take longer than 20 seconds to fill out your check then there's a trap door.

And beneath the trap door? sharks.
          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

SPCA and PETA would be on your case over that - feeding the sharks such low-quality food.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              SPCA and PETA would be on your case over that - feeding the sharks such low-quality food.
              They shouldn't mind when I feed THEM to the sharks too then.
              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Some sharks have been reincarnated as a bunny...
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I just received my last bank statement and can count the checks written in the last month on one hand. None at retail, but then I tend to milk credit card reward points.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

When I opened a checking account many moons ago, I was asked if I wanted a debit card -- I told them no, no, HELL no. My credit card works just fine and isn't linked directly to my paychecks.

I use a check only a small handful of times a month, it's really easier for me to do it.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Personally, I LOVED writing checks. I love handwriting and was proud of artistically signing my name and all. I also love cash for all the purposes of tipping and paying friends in unforseen situations and you know, life. Then, places started not accepting checks and started electronically converting them. I realized that it was creating a burden and became pointless if they would just hand them back to me. So I caved to a debit card for those situations. But I made a pact with myself that I would not use an ATM until I was 30 years old for you know, reasons. Now I am a card and ATM user for cash, like most erebody else... except for when I get to fancifully write out a check to the few things I can like utilities or charity, because I can.
                      But get this... I know times change and I'm not going to hold up a retail store line because of my "wishes".

Comment

I use checks for bill paying and the local grocery store, and that's pretty much it.

My biggest complaint about checks is they don't include enough deposit slips in the check books!
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          My biggest complaint about checks is they don't include enough deposit slips in the check books!
                          I used to have that problem until my bank decided they were no longer necessary. Now I can just pop a check right into the ATM, no envelope or slip required.
                          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            I use checks for bill paying and the local grocery store, and that's pretty much it.

I rarely use deposit slips anymore - Direct Deposit is my friend for the most part but sometimes I am given cash or check (birthday/Christmas/state tax refund for example) and even then I use the ATM at the bank for those deposits.

As far as checks go we used to use them only for the rent and utilities but now the real estate company that handles our property has an online payment system set up so I use that. So for the water bill and electric we still use checks or on those now rare occasions we get to go to the big Farmer's Market by the interstate (and some of their vendors are now set up for debit and credit cards now) I still make sure I have a pack of checks in my wallet.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                              And possibly other retail outlets as well.

My new conclusion? Stores should have a "checks only" line, where everyone who wants to write a check needs to go to pay. And, have others that say "no checks", and don't equip those lanes to take checks.

The Mrs. pointed out to me, however, that this lane probably wouldn't be open on a regular basis, and people (read: SCs) would try to use checks in the "regular" lanes, then argle & blargle when they didn't get their way.

She also came up with another funny name for this particular checkout lane: The "Pain in the ass" lane.

Though I would feel kinda bad for the cashier on that line...
                              I don't have anything against checks, on the surface.

What I don't like are the people who wait for me to ring up their huge order which takes several minutes, and only after I give them the total they dig through a purse big enough to store a body in, THEN take out the checkbook, THEN write very slowly, taking their sweet time.

At least have the damn thing ready to go by the time I'm done checking you out. Cripes.

Comment

Working...
                              X