This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Outage Idiots

So our power was out for almost six hours tonight. Of course it started an hour before peak check-in time. Of course it also started an hour before peak check-in time when the same thing happened last week.

Last week, my "favorite" guest was the one who shouted at me that he was going to take his key folder and hit housekeeping "upside the head" with it and see if they answered their "goddamn radios THEN" (because gods forbid you should have to wait an extra 13 minutes for your room keys because we have NO POWER and housekeeping is a little busy trying to figure out how to clean the floors with no vacuum cleaners). It was a supreme effort not to laugh in his face (I think "upside the head" should be a phrase for Sucky Customer Bingo [see this thread]), but what really made me start giggling was the customer who was at the next station over who looked shocked and horrified and apologized that I had to deal with someone like that and seemed really confused that I just shrugged it off and was actually laughing.

People were extra stupid today, as compared to last week. I lost track of how many people I stared blankly at when they asked if I knew when the power was going to be back on. But the cream of the crop? No, not the man who shouted at my coworker, claiming she HAD to know when the power would be back on and was holding out on him (I asked her about it later, and it apparently didn't even register with her). Nor yet the people who ignored my warnings that the internet wouldn't work since the routers didn't have power, and then called me, all confused that the internet wasn't working.

No, the prime idiot was the guy who got in a row with my supervisor because he didn't want us to take a manual imprint of his credit card. Apparently we were going to steal his credit card number. Despite the fact that any customer service peon is physically capable of writing down his credit card number/snapping a photo when he's not looking at any time if he just hands it to us and we do a normal electronic swipe (or hell, when he gives us the number over the phone).

Apparently the knucklebuster is inherently unsafe and we go release our credit card slips to "be free" on the wind in the parking lot or something (no, he didn't say that, I'm just trying to figure out what was going on in his head). The supervisor kept repeating "We have to be able to prove you were physically here" and the guy kept repeating "I'm physically here right now, that should be enough for you, you should be able to slide my card when I come back tomorrow" and similar.

The part where I had to try not to laugh in the guy's face was when he started attepmting to play the "I work in retail; I Know How These Things Work" card (actually, that one's going on my bingo cards too). Apparently he did not Know How These Things Work, because we ended up sending him away without a room. I really didn't want to deal with him for a multiple-night stay, so it's for the best.
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

As much fun as it would have been to respond to the first one with "No, you will NOT!" ^_^ ... Consider this if it comes up again: "Alrighty, then, Sir, Ma'am, please let us know once you've done so, and to which HK, so that we will have the correct information when we file the police report for assault and battery. By the way, I'm going to need you to hang out here for a little while, so that we can get your info for the police report I'm about to file right now, for the threat." *picks up phone* *beep beep boop*
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Dentarthurdent View Post
      I Know How These Things Work
      More accurately translates to "I have deduced* how things must happen despite having no first-hand knowledge, and you need to adhere to my beliefs."

*I've seen Sherlock/Elementary, I know the word but do not have the skill.
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

CC guy.. I'd hate to see how he would have responded when I was kid, like 6 or 8 years old. All the stores had to do impressions of credit cards, as well as write DL info on the impression! He'd have been so enraged, he might have exploded in red gobby bits under the nitro-power of his own fury!

Heck, I had to do it at the Mart of Wal, when the register system decided, "Hey, our modem is weak sauce! Must FRY!!!"
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I loathe power outages. Once I had someone ask me if we had PLANNED it. I've hear dumb questions before but that one stunned me for a while. No we didn't plan on it, you dummy! Do you think we like having these?! Obviously they did.
          I'd would've said, go ahead to the guy who threatened to smack the housekeepers upside the head. Our housekeepers, armed with brooms and mops, muscled from general labor would've smacked him right back. Poor guy would've been crying! Lol.
          Can't reason with the unreasonable.
          The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Jeez I don't understand some people, it's like they never learnt how to think...
            All that happens when my shop loses power is we close the doors, and sit in a circle telling stories with a torch

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
              I loathe power outages. Once I had someone ask me if we had PLANNED it. I've hear dumb questions before but that one stunned me for a while. No we didn't plan on it, you dummy! Do you think we like having these?! Obviously they did.
              I'd would've said, go ahead to the guy who threatened to smack the housekeepers upside the head. Our housekeepers, armed with brooms and mops, muscled from general labor would've smacked him right back. Poor guy would've been crying! Lol.

Planned power outages are a real thing. They happen when work has to be done on the power lines or the building wiring.

Comment

I once fielded a call from a banker who needed help with offline procedures due to a power outage in her branch. I could hear the customer flipping out in the background. Yes, it was definitely a plot by MajorBank to keep you from withdrawing your money, especially since you could drive to the nearest branch 10 miles away, which DID have power. Stupid bitch.

And, it can always be worse. I was never so glad I tended to walk to class with another professor for our evening classes than the day a transformer blew cutting power to the entire campus. Making matters worse, it was near the end of hurricane season during a particularly active year, and somebody screwed up and hadn't refueled the generators, so those didn't kick in. Of course, this would happen at the exact moment that a packed elevator car was halfway between floors, and wouldn't return to the ground floor. We had to call rescue out to pull about 20 people out through the little hatch on the top of the car and then up to the third floor landing.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth ComputerNecromancer View Post
                  Planned power outages are a real thing. They happen when work has to be done on the power lines or the building wiring.
                  Usually, those are warned about, so a business knows and can, depending on time down, close for the day or go on a lonnnnggg lunch. We actually had one when I worked at MW repair and while we couldn't leave the building (because we couldn't turn on the security system), we all gathered in the front office, propped open the door and explained to customers that we were closed due to power outage. Fortunately it was spring, so it was pleasant enough to do.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                  X