Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Nope" Says Friendly "This is a civil matter, if you don't like it, you can take them to civil court and sue them, but that's it."
    . By the way, they told me you threatened to drive off the truck. I want to warn you now, if you HAD. it would be considered theft. That's a criminal matter and then I WOULD have done something, I'd be cuffing you on the ground right now."
    Um, so how is someone taking the guys car without permission a civil matter, but him taking it back a criminal matter? He OWNS the car, so how can taking it be "theft"? 'Theft of Services', I might be able to see... except he never requested or received a service.

Comment

It was taken WITH permission, permission of the property owner who's private property he trespassed on. The vehicles code of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania LEGALLY allows that, regardless of what the owner of the vehicle thinks.

Since we provided the towing service, he now owes us for it. The same statute he was towed under makes the payment HIS responsibility. You know "Towed at owner's expense". It's technically a fine, but, in practice, it's the same as a restaurant tab or a contractor's bill for repairs.

He is now in a situation where he legally owes us money

You want to dispute what you owe? Fine. That's the civil matter.

You walk out without paying what you owe? Theft of services, criminal matter.

If any of that is objectionable, talk to Harrisburg and have them change the law.

And that's all I'll say at risk of fratching it.
      Last edited by Argabarga; 02-23-2014, 12:39 AM.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        ...you were just visiting your girlfriend...and...you were only there for maybe, MAYBE 2 minutes...
        That's what SHE said!

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        negative 40 is the cross over point. Warmer than that the Fahrenheit temp is higher, below the Celsius temperature is higher.

It's also known universally as the "HOLY SHIT IT'S COLD!!!" mark.
        Not universally. Here in the Keys, anything below 50 is considered by most of the population to be the "HOLY SHIT IT'S COLD!!!" mark.

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        I think Kelvin would turn a few heads. Particularly when it starts showing well over 200 degrees.
        Or as they say back home in Phoenix, "summer."

Quoth Deevil View Post
        If you live in an area that has decent public transit that is. My current job, if I had to take the bus, I'd actually need to leave for work the evening before and camp out at the bus stop to be on time for work. My previous job, I didn't have a set time I had to be in...BUT, if I took the bus to work back then I would have had to; leave for work an hour earlier than what I normally would, walk close to three miles from the closest bus stop to work, and would have arrived over two hours later than when I normally came in. And when it was time to go home, I would have had to walk five miles to the bus stop as the line I took in to work was a morning only run.
        There was a year in Phoenix where, to get to work, I would ride my bike a little less than a mile, get on a bus (busses in Phoenix almost all have bike racks on the front, which is awesome), ride that for a bit, transfer to another bus, and get off and ride a bit less than a mile to get to work. Getting home, however, was much more straightforward: get on my bike and ride 14 miles home.

Upside: Phoenix at its coldest is still bikeable.
        Downside: Phoenix at its warmest makes it a bit challenging to get to work on a bike if you miss the bus and still be presentable to work in banquet server wear.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Bus? What is this bus you all speak of?

I may live in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by a whole lot of nothing, with a population of less than deer.
          Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Phoenix at its warmest makes it a bit challenging to get to work on a bike if you miss the bus and still be presentable to work in banquet server wear.
            I had a friend many moons ago who would rollerblade to work. (Something like 5 miles; she was crazy fit.) Her solution to the "omg it's a billion degrees outside" issue? She bought a membership to a gym a block or so away from her office and showered there every morning.
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

When I clobbered a deer on my commute and took out my radiator, making it a one-way trip before it overheated, I had no way to get home that night since public transport doesn't come out my way.

So I had to walk the 15 miles on foot.

I'm HORRIDLY out of shape, yet managed it in a reasonable time frame.

That's why I don't buy the "it was too far to walk" argument

It also made me wonder, there was a time in human history where you were expected to MARCH hundreds of miles, spend a weekend getting shot at, and then MARCH back to where you came from? And such was considered perfectly normal? How did they manage that feat? Army of Northern Virginia, I'm looking at you!
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Walking can be more of a safety issue. People who walk/bike along the roads out here are nuts, and in winter the shoulder is either a snow bank or a few inches of ice. I don't even walk the 2/3 of a mile to get my mail because of the narrow, curved road I'd have to take, that has speeding logging trucks constantly. Not to mention feral humans in bad neighborhoods. Presumably the soldiers were armed and used the buddy system.

Comment

When I lived in North Dakota I had a coworker who biked to work every single day, no matter what the temperature. Now, this area of ND regularly sees temperatures of -20F to -30F and can see temps as low as -60 (actual temperatures, not windchill). This man was nuts. I only saw him ask for a ride home once, and that was in the middle of the second blizzard we'd had in as many days. Visibility was at near zero and the absolutely fantastic road crews had their hands full keeping the major roads passable, let alone trying to keep the sidewalks cleared.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                    It also made me wonder, there was a time in human history where you were expected to MARCH hundreds of miles, spend a weekend getting shot at, and then MARCH back to where you came from? And such was considered perfectly normal? How did they manage that feat? Army of Northern Virginia, I'm looking at you!
                    Training. Constant training! We've become soft since the invention of easy (and affordable) travel....
                    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
                    X