This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught In The Act

This is a partial CoC as well, for sheer stupidity, but the person in question didn't work at my store.

These tales happened a number of moons ago at the Ye Olde Random Craft Store. I still was doing the cashiering part over the weekends but was in the early mornings as well, before I went to early mornings only. The morals of these two stories is after each story.

Story the First:

This happened right around the time I started the morning shifts but also happened on a weekend. It was on a Sunday because me and C did the ad-set (as we always do on Sundays), it was after we opened, and we were talking about the things needed to be done in the mornings. Now our direct manager has a name that can be used for either gender so it's not clear if we're talking about a male or female if you don't know this person.

I get called up to the register at one point and help out this dude that I've never seen before. He says he works for the Random Craft Store chain, in fact he works for THIS particular store, and would like to use his employee discount. I'll admit that even then there were a few co-workers that I either have not worked with before or worked with once, only once, and never worked with again because of different schedules and whatnot. So I may not have worked with him before but maybe someone else has and can verify what he is saying.

So I ask him what his name is and what part of the store he works for. Says he's *name I've never heard of*, works, GASP, in the morning crew, and says *my manager* is a great guy to work with. I tell him that unless *my manager* has had a sex change on Saturday, *my manager* is quite clearly a female. And that I've never seen him before in the morning. So unless he can pull out an employee discount card, or someone else in the store can vouch for him, he's getting zilch in the way of employee discounts.

Dude never got his discount, paid for his purchase, and left. Don't know if he ever came back after that but if he did, it was never when I was working even though I only work one day when the store is open so it's possible he has.

Moral of Story: If you're going to lie about working on the same team as someone, make sure that you don't get in the line that said someone is running register on. Because you WILL get shot down and laughed at.

Story the Second:

This happened much longer ago, and I may or may not have mentioned it before. If I have, I'll post it anyways.

Again I was on a register, it's summertime-ish and because I live in a nice, touristy place, we get a lot of tourists. This in itself isn't so bad in general, most are decent people and such; glad when it's over but whatever.

This girl and her mother get into my line, girl says she works for Random Craft Store in *store in town several hours away* but is on a weekend vacation in my town. I ask for her employee card, she doesn't have it; I ask for the phone number for her store, she doesn't know that. Thankfully I can get the number for it since, at the time, this store is in the same district as my store. Girl didn't like that, got all nervous when I called the MOD to call to verify the employment of this chick by calling the store in question.

Please note at the time of this transaction, our upper management wanted all cashiers to make sure we verified employment of people claiming to be employees of Random Craft Store. Unless we worked with them or we knew for a fact someone did work for the Random Craft Store chain, we could not just hand out employee discounts like that. We could've gotten in serious trouble for it.

MOD comes out of the office, says this girl is an employee but that maybe it's not a good idea to tell her boss she's sick, can't come in, then come to another store in the same chain she works in. Mother looks shocked, thought that her daughter had gotten this weekend off, and didn't look too happy when they left.

Moral of Story: If you're going to lie about being sick to your boss, make sure that you don't head to another store in the same chain you work in several hours away and claim to be an employee. You never know if they'll call up YOUR store to verify your employment. Also don't tell your mother you have the weekend off and really don't, but had called in sick.
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Wow. Bet chick in story 2 found herself looking for another job when she got home.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Alternate moral: Your employee discount card - don't leave home without it.
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
        Your employee discount card - don't leave home without it.
        If you have one in the first place.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Oh I've encountered some of the first type.In my uni days I was media bod/publicity arranger/pass-giver-outer/allower-people-inner for a goth band.The number of people who turned up at the door claimed that they were 'friends of Helen' and she'd let them have freebies. Anyone who knew the band would know that Helen was despite the long hair,decidedly male....easily sussed out the fakes
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

As to why people try and pull the I'm an employee scam these days is beyond me. Working for <Massive Hospitality Conglomerate> we get some pretty deep discounts on rooms all over the globe. They even have a program that allows our family and freinds to recieve discounts too. We are awesome like that. However, there is paperwork or ID cards that must be presented at check-in for you to recieve the discount.

My favorite are those that know how to book the rooms at a discount, but don't have the properpaper work, and then lie to me about where you work. You are only a quick google search and a phone call away from being called out on your fabrication! Every <Corporation> employee is giving an login ID to get into our corporate intranet, where its easy to print off necessary forms. Hell, I even walked a new Corporate Office employee through the process so she could get her stranded son a room at our hotel.

Price for being caught though? Usually about a 500% rate hike. No ROOM for YOU scammer!
            "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive."---Elbert Hubbard

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
              Wow. Bet chick in story 2 found herself looking for another job when she got home.
              I wouldn't be surprised if she was. Even when I played hooky myself, I wasn't stupid enough to waltz into another branch of my employer and announce I worked in *other store*

I don't have my own employee card, I don't see the need to carry it since I don't go to any other store and my co-workers know who I am.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I wonder how long before some chain of stores uses computer-readable employee discount cards - and the computer checks the employee number against the schedule at their "home" store to see if they are using the card on a day that they are scheduled to be working. Of course, for a chain that has pharmacies in-store, it would need to also check the merchandise type - if they're buying Kayopectate and cough syrup, they're probably not "fake-sick".
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

That wouldn't be difficult at receipts are almost always time-stamped.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I'm lucky that my company (and others owned by the same family) use an account system - just say my name and I'm right there as staff, discount already applied.
                    Of course it helps I've worked at almost all locations in the city, and know people at others

Comment

Of course, depending on the nature of your call out, and your store, there may be times you do need to come in, even if you are sick or otherwise can't come in to work. And depending on how many stores in the chain, you might be at a different store than the one you work at normally.

But in those situations, the smart employee wouldn't be lying about why they are out, so shouldn't have any qualms about visiting another store.

The dumb employees will hang themselves by their own petard.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        I wonder how long before some chain of stores uses computer-readable employee discount cards - and the computer checks the employee number against the schedule at their "home" store to see if they are using the card on a day that they are scheduled to be working. Of course, for a chain that has pharmacies in-store, it would need to also check the merchandise type - if they're buying Kayopectate and cough syrup, they're probably not "fake-sick".
                        Mal-Wart does something like that. My former manager got fired for doing some "extreme couponing" during her break because she used her discount card. They normally don't really care, but in her case she was also using her manager override on some of the discounts that were too big for a cashier to allow. They track everything though, and if a chronic sickie starts showing their card at a bunch of stores they can use it as evidence for firing.

Comment

I work at the head office of a worldwide electronics games chain. Since I sometimes call in to my local store after work, most of the people there know I work for the company and automatically ask for my employee number for my discount. About a year ago the store manager introduced his own policy that if you wanted a discount, you had to bring in a pay slip as proof, and then the store manager had to be called to approve the discount. I used to shake my head as the workers would call their manager saying, yes they have the payslip in their hand, yes her id matches the name on the pay slip, in fact she is even wearing her uniform with the logo on the shirt. What was funny is that they all mentioned the uniform, even if I had the day off and wasn't wearing it, and none of them saw a payslip or my id.

Guess they realised that I wasn't just wearing a high-vis shirt with the company logo on just to get a discount. And luckily the policy only lasted for a couple of months. Maybe someone, or several someones may have mentioned it to some managers at head office, and the unauthorised policy was stopped.

Comment

Employee Discount

At the computer store I worked at you could buy any computer hardware at near cost but ONLY ONCE.

This worked great as people would see you with a great piece of hardware and want the same thing for themselves. Cat-Butt faces when you point out that I could get them something diffirent but not the same.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention this was for family and direct relatives, the number of second-third-fourth remove cousins trying to get deep discounts was sickening. These people have money to spend on the most stupid stuff you have ever seen, but when it came to real good hardware they were trying to scam my workplace.

Comment

Back when I worked at US Foodservice [wonderful company to work for!] they allowed us to order anything in the general catalog [[nothing that was branded specific to one of the companies we serviced like Taco Bell or Dairy Queen] and buy it at cost. We would club together and get the 40 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts and split them up between 4 people, once I bought an entire flat of lobster tails [took us 3 months to work through it!] and I bought an entire beef tenderloin. There was a reason we had 2 25 cubic foot freezers in the barn =) Though the 5 gallon tub of strawberries took us damned near forever to consume - like 2 years!

We were all very careful to order only for us - they told us explicitly that it was for employee personal consumption only, though I did once supply all the lamb for an SCA event, but I cleared it with management first.
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                              X