This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two from tonight

Heard the doorbell go off and watched as a man hurried out the door. I went out into the lobby to clean up and found one of our white engraved ceramic mugs on one of the tables, still hot and with a couple drops of coffee still in the cup.

We are not a cafe that offers ceramic cups for beverages. We sell them. This asshat took a cup off our merchandise shelf and used it and left it behind. I can hope he got this idea from Starbucks, but I was under the impression that even there, you have to ask for a mug. Even so, we served him coffee in a styrofoam cup so he had no real business taking one off the shelf. Especially since there was a price tag on the bottom.

At fifteen minutes to close two college boys walked in (which was disappointing because I was in the middle of mopping up last minute footprints and had to stop on their account). They walked over to the barstool area and set up a laptop and proceeded to giggle over it and not order anything for five minutes. My coworker and I were trying to get our last minute chores done, but didn't want to throw out donuts in front of them. After five minutes we asked if they were going to buy any donuts because we had to clean out the case, and they jumped up going "Oh yes! Sorry!"

aaaand proceeded to order two boxes of joe. (Twenty small cups of coffee.) So I had to put on 4 more pots of coffee only to wash them for a second time 10 minutes later. Because of these asshats, I ended up not getting the mopping done until after closing time, or counting my drawer down, or cleaning out the donut case, or getting all the coffee pots cleaned, or mopping the floors. We ended up clocking out 30 minutes past close (on a good night we can get out within ten minutes). Just... urgh. /vent

In other words if they ordered right away, they would still have time to giggle over their stupid stuff, your would have finished on time. Or at-least a lot sooner.

Comment

I'm sorry maybe I am reading this wrong. If you were still open they really didn't do anything wrong did they?

When I worked at a deli I always tried to clean up early, but when a customer came in and wanted to get some meat sliced after I had cleaned the slicer I never made them feel like they were a burden. We were still open and it was my job to serve customers right until closing time.

Cleaning the machines and floors early was a gamble. Most of the time I won and no other customers would come in after I cleaned.

Comment

Momiitz -- If I read it correctly, the issue was that the customer basically stole a ceramic mug off of the shelf for his coffee, which now can no longer be sold as a "new" item, even after they clean/sanitize it.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Momiitz is talking about the two guys who came in at 15 minutes to closing and didn't order anything for 5 minutes, not the guy who used the coffee mug off the shelf. And personally, I think they did do something wrong by coming in 15 minutes before closing, sitting around for 5 minutes, then ordering 20 cups of coffee. If they had ordered right away and just gotten a cup of coffee each, that would've been different.

Comment

Yes. I was talking about the two college guys. I have a very nonexistent tolerance for theft.

Comment

I also agree the two guys who futzed around for 5 minutes giggling it up around a laptop were being inconsiderate.

15 minutes before close and they just kick around on a laptop when they obviously already knew what they were going to order? Why couldn't they order right away so those 4 pots of coffee could be put on to brew and then OP could continue other nightly duties?

Both OP and Coworker pretty much had to stop everything they were doing while waiting for those guys to stop clowning around on a laptop.

It would be like someone coming up to the deli 15 minutes before close, staring off into the distance or giggling at their phone for 5 minutes, and then when its 10 minutes to close and you ask them if they want something (because trust me, if you don't ASK, they will keep giggling on their phone until the cows come home) and they suddenly go, "Oh yeah! 20 pounds of <XX>. But wrap all 20 pounds in separate 1 lb things."

Yeah, it's inconsiderate.
              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Basically AmbrosiaWriter hit the nail on the head. While it's expected of a worker to be totally okay all the way up til close, doesn't make it any less annoying or inconvenient and indeed makes me label people like that as SCs.

But no, I didn't 'make them feel like a burden'. I was totally polite and did whatever they asked. All we did was ask if they wanted to purchase donuts before they were to be tossed. I leave my griping for this site.

Comment

20 cups of coffee right before close??? thats a bit ridiculous

Comment

Quoth Chazzie View Post
                    I leave my griping for this site.
                    Exactly why we are here!

Just a reminder that, while our comments can start out well-meaning, we do have a policy against "failure to see the suck" because we want our membership to have the freedom to vent.
                    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                      Just a reminder that, while our comments can start out well-meaning, we do have a policy against "failure to see the suck" because we want our membership to have the freedom to vent.
                      I wish the customers_suck com at livejournal felt the same way.

Comment

Sorry. I did not mean to offend with my comment.

Comment

Re: the jug o' coffee 15 minutes before close: Local Coffee Shop requires 30 minutes notice minimum for ordering one of those. Any chance of a similar policy?

Quoth siskaren View Post
                          Agreed!

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                            There's another livejournal one that's more like this site: http://customerssuck.livejournal.com/

You might like that one better.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Momiitz View Post
                              Sorry. I did not mean to offend with my comment.
                              No offense taken Momiitz! (sorry I only just saw this!)

Quoth camjuniper View Post
                              Re: the jug o' coffee 15 minutes before close: Local Coffee Shop requires 30 minutes notice minimum for ordering one of those. Any chance of a similar policy?
                              No such luck as of yet. As long as we're open we do anything and everything in our power to get your order made.
                              Last edited by Chazzie; 02-21-2014, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X