X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You don't take cre of your guests" and discount whiners

Dining woes

So with last night being Valentine's, our dining booked up quick. We tried to contact all the guests staying with us to persuade them to make dining reservations. Our special banquet filled up, our on-site restaurant was VERY close to capacity, and our off-site restaurant was fully committed.

Unfortunately, a certain 3rd party site is not very good about forwarding us guest info. We get the guest name and the room info/payment, and that is it. No phone number, email address, or physical address. We have no way to contact these guests, so we just have to hope they're smart enough to book their dining options ahead. (Yeah, right!)

A woman and her son come to check in around 4pm. They are very nice. I hand the woman a rose as I check her in as we were giving them out and she's flattered. She asks about dining. The restaurant has a few tables at 4:45 and 5pm and nothing else until 9:30pm. They just ate so the earlier times won't work and the 9:30pm is too late. I suggest the in-room dining option and the woman seems fine with that.

Then the father comes in. We shall call him Sucky Dad.

Woman: "So they have in room dining tonight."
    Sucky Dad: "What about the restaurant?"
    Me: "They have a 4:45 and a 5pm, and they have a 9:30."
    SD: "So there's no food?"
    Me: "We do have in room dining tonight."
    SD: "So you don't take care of your guests?"
    Woman: "Oh, stop it!"
    Me: "Unfortunately it is Valentine's Day evening so they are very busy, but we do have in room dining if those times don't suit you."
    SD: "So you don't take care of your guests. You know, guests should have priority here."
    Me: *didn't want to mention that we would have called them but didn't have their number* "We do everything we can to give guests priority. We are just very, very busy tonight."
    SD: "Don't lie to me."
    Woman: "Stop it!" *turning to me* "The in-room dining will be fine."
    The woman managed to drag her husband off, with son following, and that was the last I heard of them for the evening.

If you give one person a freebie...

We are doing renovations. Some people who booked rooms a while ago had their reservations bumped because of this. They were bumped to upgrades.

One person was part of a small group that checked in Thursday night and they got bumped to waterview. Of course, we're not charging them for this, since we're the ones that oversold our non-waterview.

Their friends threw a fit. Why should this person get to pay X rate and get waterview when they're paying X rate and not getting waterview? They should get a discount! Supervisor explained to them that they were getting the proper rate and that it was the waterview room that was really at the discounted rate.

Unfortunately Friday morning it seems management caved and gave the complainers gift cards. At least they didn't do a straight refund; with a gift card they have to spend it with us so we'll still come out with a profit when you consider how things get marked up (pretty sure that's what the bosses were thinking).
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

At least SD's wife tried to stop his obnoxiousness. How can you not know that holidays will have restaurants booked solid? Hubs and I had our Valentines lunch on the 13th because we knew the restaurants would be insane the next day. It's called forethought, SCs, try it sometime, maybe you won't be so sucky.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      Unfortunately Friday morning it seems management caved and gave the complainers gift cards. At least they didn't do a straight refund; with a gift card they have to spend it with us so we'll still come out with a profit when you consider how things get marked up (pretty sure that's what the bosses were thinking).
      This is beyond pathetic, but at least it's not a refund. Still...

Comment

First tale: yet another reason to not deal with 3rd party booking sites (facility can't contact you to give you an edge over "walk-in" non-guests).

Second tale: WTF? Customer "A" gets a free upgrade due to something the hotel did wrong, so customer "B" who booked the same class of facility as customer "A" did feels THEY are entitled to compensation?
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          At least SD's wife tried to stop his obnoxiousness. How can you not know that holidays will have restaurants booked solid? Hubs and I had our Valentines lunch on the 13th because we knew the restaurants would be insane the next day. It's called forethought, SCs, try it sometime, maybe you won't be so sucky.
          Yeah, Mom had a brush with that kind of thing this past week. My Dad's birthday is on the 21st, and she called up a restaurant to book a reservation. The conversation with the host that took her call went like this: (remember this was before the 14th)

Host: "Thank you for calling [Restaurant]. How can I help you?"
          Mom: "I'd like to make a reservation for Friday..."
          Host: [audible wince] "Um..."
          Mom: "...the 21st."
          Host: [sighs with relief]
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Holidays

While most holidays are busy ones for dining, Valentine and Mother's days are book a month ahead dates if you want to be sure.

Comment

ROFLMAO - our anniversary is Feb 14th. Not for any real romantic reason but it was the first legal day after my divorce went final that Rob had off [he was day after duty and got off the boat about Noon. We picked up the wedding license and scrounged around for a Justice of the Peace.] He jokes it was so he didn't have to remember the actual date, just get me a gift for every advertised romantic holiday he sees a commercial for and he is good

We also have a joking tradition of celebrating it either the weekend before or the weekend after, poking fun at my previously working in a restaurant and never getting an actual holiday off, and Rob having the boat CO from hell* and having to approximate the date of some celebration or another.

* Back when he was on the Spadefish one of his COs was having issues with his wife and they went for 2 years of the boat leaving just before holidays and returning just after holidays so the jackass wouldn't have to spend time with his wife or kids. That was not a fun time ...
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                Hubs and I had our Valentines lunch on the 13th because we knew the restaurants would be insane the next day.
                As I was going to be working on 2/14, Mrs. TGK & I did our Valentine's dinner on the Monday before.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

This year, I finally got what I've been asking my husband for for the five years we've been together: to completely ignore Valentine's Day.
                  "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

This thread reminded me of this:

"She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                    -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
                      This year, I finally got what I've been asking my husband for for the five years we've been together: to completely ignore Valentine's Day.
                      I've encouraged my hubby to forget it and our wedding anniversary. The anniversary is in June and last year we got a cake in March that said, "I forgot!" My oldest still gets a kick out of that.
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

This year Hubs and I both worked on V Day, so we decided we'd do something for the anniversary of when we first met (Feb 17th, though we still got each other small things for VD). Then we both forgot until the 18th.
                        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                          though we still got each other small things for VD
                          Small things, as in antibiotic pills?

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            Small things, as in antibiotic pills?
                            I'm glad I wasn't the only one whose mind went there!
                            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

You've got to remember that this is CS - at least half of us have our minds in the gutter.

Comment

Working...
                              X