This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
    Anybody who lives on a long drive in a 'notoriously backwoodsy town' has access to a snowmobile or atv, people that own plowtrucks or tractors
    Not always.

Comment

Tip from the north lol

Kitty litter is your friend.

Its cheap
      It will weigh your car down so it does not slide as much.
      And if you get stuck pour some under your wheels. It will you get unstuck 9 times out of 10.

We have no cats and salt is expensive. Being 9 or 10 dollars a bag. I can get a bag of kitty litter for like 4 dollars at the dollar store. doesnt have to be great or even namebrand.

Comment

Also, when weather hits, salt is the first thing to get sold out. Nobody ever seems to run out of kitty litter.

And conditions around here have made even salt or improvised traction material useless. It's been 45 degrees for 3 days straight, so this stuff has melted to the point that now it's all slush. Deep slush. Four inches deep in some places, and it's like trying to drive through whipped potatoes, you sink in and the wheels just dig themselves deeper. Nothing you throw on it has any effect, as that just sinks in too.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Sounds like a cheap horror movie. Son of the Blob Returns: Vday Massacre.

Comment

Just another quickie preventative 'car and ice' tip - if the forecast is for freezing rain or similar, pop your windshield wipers up. Makes cleaning them and the windshield a LOT easier next day.

Comment

You can also use the pellets sold for water softeners for de-icing. However, some variants apparently stain concrete.
              But the paint on me is beginning to dry
              And it's not what I wanted to be
              The weight on me
              Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
                You can also use the pellets sold for water softeners for de-icing. However, some variants apparently stain concrete.
                No..nonononononononono and even more NO.

All these do is make a HUGE walking hazard. They may melt a little bit of ice, if it's not that cold, and if the sun can help. And then your left with large pieces of softener salt that can catch under feet just right and give big ol bruises when you go to the ground.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                  Just another quickie preventative 'car and ice' tip - if the forecast is for freezing rain or similar, pop your windshield wipers up. Makes cleaning them and the windshield a LOT easier next day.
                  It also keeps them from freezing to the windshield. And I'll even do it just for snow.

Comment

Working...
                  X