This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nope, Not Our Problem

Current job: Copier/printer/scanner help desk.
    Time: Last Friday

Cast - Me, Customer, Mysterious Background Voice (located on Customer's side)

Me: Good afternoon, this is <Me> with <Company>.
    Customer: Uh , yeah, every time I bring up a webpage, I get a scripts not allowed message and it asks me if I want to keep running the scripts.
    Me: Ok. *waits*
    Customer: *silence*
    Me: *silence* Ok. What seems to be the issue with your copier?
    Customer: Well, it won't print the webpages after it gives that error. It prints everything else just fine, but not the webpages.
    Me: All right. This would appear to actually be a problem with the web browser, not with the copier itself then. Which web browser are you using?
    Customer: Well, I'm using Internet Explorer and this is a new computer with Vista and I know it's not a problem with the web browser because I called Microsoft and they pointed me to a KB that says it's a problem with encapsulated PostScript settings on the webpage!
    Me: ....Ok.
    Customer: So you need to tell me how to configure those on the copier.
    Me: There are no settings for those on the copier. That's embedded in the webpage.
    Customer: Huh?
    Me: Your encapsulated PostScript would be code written into the webpage itself. You would need to access the actual HTML of the site to change that.
    Customer: But it happens on all webpages!
    Me: Then it's a problem with the web browser itself, not with the copier. Are you able to print from Adobe normally?
    Customer: Yes.
    Me: Are you using the Vista driver from our website.
    Customer: No.
    Me: That may contribute to the problem. I would recommend installing it.
    Customer: *sulky tone* I don't have admin priviliges. Our IT guy hasn't bothered to upgrade it yet.
    Me: Well, then there's not much else I can tell you. Still, upgrading your driver will probably not correct the issue. If every webpage is doing this, there is probably a problem with IE.
    Customer: But it's Windows Vista!
    Me: Which is very new and still has kinks left in it to work out.
    Customer: It's a problem with your copier and you're going to troubleshoot it!
    Me: If you like, sir. *spends next 30 minutes going through every print test possible, including a full copy of Adobe Acrobat - all prints fine*
    Me: Seems to work fine, sir.
    Customer: Goddamnit! I know it's a problem with the copier!
    Mysterious Background Voice: Hey, <Customer>, <their IT guy> just called. There's a bug in our web database that Vista can't handle. He says you need to return that CPU to Best Buy and get back on XP.
    Customer: GODDAMNIT!
    Customer: *slams phone*
    Me: *marks the call as resolved successfully - OS Issue*

-BIC-

I can just see you whistling ever-so-innocently as you type that out. Well done!
    Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Ug...My only real problem with Vista at the moment is that they force you to use IE7. Stupid thing is incompatable with alot of our software. Wish you could run it in IE6 mode like you can run Vista programs in XP SP2 mode.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The reason for that is, IE7 is a lot less integrated into the operating system, to improve security. Windows XP had so many problems because IE was tied into the shell, so any exploit for IE was also a Windows exploit. IE7 doesn’t have that problem, it acts as a standalone application. Because of this lack of integration, IE6 can’t run. It’s for security

It's why GIF images have to be viewed in IE rather than Picture and Fax Viewer, and why you can't use IE as a file browser / Explorer as a web browser anymore.
          I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
          less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Exactly.

It's sad sometimes how, despite being beaten mercilessly with the clue-by-four, some people will still insist that their untrained diagnosis was right.

And on a personal note, as I don't need a nanny to baby me around the computer, there's no plans for me to "upgrade" anytime soon.
            Desk-On: Apply directly to the forehead.

Comment

Please, oh, please! Make Vista just.......go away! Yes, I love calls like this, and when you tell a customer it is their computer and not their internet provider, they go berserk! Why? Because they know it will cost them money, but if they get their internet provider to troubleshoot their computer, it's free! Which is why I don't ever budge on this. When it turns into a PC issue, I tell them we cannot troubleshoot that due to liability issues. "You broke my computer and now I'm suing!"

Comment

Here as an ISP rep we only support Outlook Express, not Outlook or anything else. So when someone the other morning was looking for a setting in Outlook, I had to tell them, we don't support it, and said I don't really know where the option is. The lie was when I said I didn't even have Outlook on the computer to play with, which I do. My suggestion was to google it like everyone else does. Nothing would have happened, but I've been suprised before. I have a line I can't cross, and my employer has set that line, guess whos putting money in my account every two weeks? In the end the customer does pay me, but if I took them to the setting, and something happened, making us liable, neither my employer or the customer would be paying me anymore.

Comment

Quoth BlackIronCrown View Post
                  Yeah because we all know a brand new operating system will have no flaws or glitches whatsoever...

Comment

Working...
                  X