X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, The Twinkie Defense Worked!

http://consumerist.com/2014/08/05/ma...to-me-defense/

'Robber' swears he didn't rob a grocery store, "he scratched his stomach and the cashier just handed him the money."

I love the end of the article: "As for why he fled with the $1,600 and went to a nearby gas station to lie in the bed of a pickup, which is where police found him, he told cops that anyone given lots of cash would take it and run.

That defense is apparently not enough to convince authorities, who are holding him on $10,000 bond."

For some reason I pity the poor public defender who has this mess dropped in their lap...

Quoth eltf177 View Post
    For some reason I pity the poor public defender who has this mess dropped in their lap...
    Maybe not, they have their share of experience with prosecution slam dunks like this one.
    On another note, how is it that there was $1600 in the cash register in the first place? Are there no counter safes of periodic pick ups?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
      Maybe not, they have their share of experience with prosecution slam dunks like this one.
      On another note, how is it that there was $1600 in the cash register in the first place? Are there no counter safes of periodic pick ups?
      EXACTLY! At my store, loss prevention would be screaming at me if they ever found out a cashier had that much in their drawer.

Comment

Where I work, the system locks the cashier out at $700 until a lead/supervisor/manager comes over and does a safe drop.

Note that the leads do monitor these things and customarily come do a drop somewhere in the $300-$500 range (drawer starts with $100). Cashiers are also expected to pay some attention and have a ballpark idea of whether they're getting close to needing a drop, then alert the lead to please check on that.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

This used to happen when I worked at Malmart, until they put a kibosh on it. You were encouraged to call a CSM if you had too much cash in your drawer. I got my cash drawer pulled once and the next customer bought $3000 in money cards, necessitating my calling a CSM.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Have to keep an eye on this story to see if they tie the cashier to the robber.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
            X