This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More survey drama and complaint about coworker's disability

I hate the midwest. So many people have their day ruined because someone in the service industry didn't coddle them. It's social pleasantries above all else. I say on a holiday weekend when it's insanely busy, forget the stupid pleasantries, 'cause ain't nobody got time for that.

I was at cafe covering a lunch when I saw the specialized survey results for that department. Now, there are 3 girls who work over there, but I have had 2 shifts in the last couple of weeks. All of those girls are nice, and one is so over-friendly that she spends so much time chatting with customers that she doesn't get enough done. We're all sick of that, and when I have to come in and do it for her, I get cranky. It's all I can do at that point to be cordial with customers. I'm sometimes very friendly, but more often than not I am working on a weekend when it's really busy and I am running my butt off prepping because she didn't. I'm going to take your order, put it in the oven, and move on to the next person because I have 6 irons in the fire and I'm by myself.

Therein lies the problem; the cafe got a 25/100 score for friendliness, and one of the managers wrote on it that they were "better than this." I thought, But the customers aren't. Who cares if the person chats with you as long as she's polite and gets you your food quickly? Anyway, I'm sure a lot of those scores were me, but since I'm not officially in that area, the manager didn't direct it at me. But it wasn't my coworkers, so though I'm not proud of it, I tore that paper up into tiny pieces and put it in the garbage. I was so angry because it's the company's fault we are always understaffed for Back to School and holiday weekends. We call for help and no one comes half the time, which stresses us out and then we're not friendly enough. (If you need a cashier or food worker to fix your emotions, you need therapy). The DM needs to allow the bosses to schedule more people!!

The other bad score was order correctness. OK, explain to me how an order gets wrong when we take it and make it immediately, one customer at a time?? Beside that, customers put on their own condiments, and food is pre-made and heated in an oven. We simply don't get orders wrong. I can remember what every person ordered 99.9% of the time, and if I think I forgot anything, I ask! Some of my coworkers are dreamy-headed, but can get a simple order right. It's hot dogs and pretzels and pre-made sandwhiches, not rocket science. Again, around 25/100. I don't get it.

Bonus: We have a cashier who is disabled. He has an eye issue and has a service dog. But he can read stuff if he holds it close to his eyes. As far as I know, no one has ever complained he gave them the wrong change. If he couldn't do the job with reasonable accomodation, he wouldn't be doing it. And he is friendly to everyone and will explain his disability to people if they ask or if he feels it will make them more comfortable. He absolutely does not have to; that's his personal medical information. But he will. Kids love him and our regulars like going to his line. So what shows up as a negative comment? Someone felt the need to inform us that coworker can't see. Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit! I had no idea! It wasn't a positive comment such as, "[coworker] rang me up and despite his disability he was accurate and friendly. It's nice to see him contributing." Now that would've been nice. It was either someone tattling on him or complaining; either way it scored him negatively, which counts against him. I'm sure management won't pay it heed, but they should've blacked that comment out before setting it out for us to read. I feel like telling that sucktomer, "I'm so sorry [coworker's] disability is causing you to have a bad day!" [/sarcasm]

Whenever I quit, I will spell it out that this nonsense is why.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 09-17-2014, 11:10 PM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Billing time

One nice thing about computer repair is that when someone thinks they have to stop me working so they can tell my their life story, I can point out that they are paying for my time.

The more they talk, the more they pay.

All that social niceness is a waste of time when you are swamped with work that just has to be done.

Comment

When I order food at that kind of place, all I want is someone who greets me, takes my order, prepares it properly and charges me the correct price. A smile is nice but not mandatory, since I'm not always in a mood to smile myself, and as for chit-chat? If I wanted that I'd call a chat line! I never understand why some people think they're going to get some kind of geisha experience at a fast-food counter! It's a hotdog and a cold drink, get your food and get out!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ugh. I've been held up in lines when it's been super busy because someone decided chit chat was more important than moving the line along.

Move the line along, please! I have things to do, places to be, I don't want to listen to someone else's gossip.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          We're all sick of that, and when I have to come in and do it for her, I get cranky. It's all I can do at that point to be cordial with customers. I'm sometimes very friendly, but more often than not I am working on a weekend when it's really busy and I am running my butt off prepping because she didn't. I'm going to take your order, put it in the oven, and move on to the next person because I have 6 irons in the fire and I'm by myself.
          Yeah, I don't generally care for too much chatting at a quick serve restaurant. I do for my work, we have to ask a bunch of questions. But I don't mind, and it's awkward to stand in silence for like five minutes with the customer just three feet away.

I know someone with relatives in a small town in Montana (I think!) and he nearly pulls his hair out trying to get coffee, or buy groceries. Everyone knows each other, and they chat forever. I don't believe the Pacific Northwest is known for friendliness, and he actually grew up near Los Angeles (also not friendly. I called soda "pop" once there, and the waiter was super mean), so he might not be a great barometer, but still.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

That whole chat-up-the-regulars thing is why I hate going to the convenience store a couple minute's walk away from me. Without fail I will wind up in line behind somebody chatting with the cashier about shit nobody else cares about.

Either that or some lottery addict engrossed in scratchy scratchy scratchy at the counter tying up the one open register.

As for the disability thing...I have no words. I guess some people think disabled people should be locked up in a basement someplace subsisting on mice and gruel or something.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Today we were slammed. We had an outage in an area, and the gorram football game was delayed by fifteen minutes because of the darned Yankees. On top of that we also had people calling in at all sorts of hours because of a certain boxing fight.

EXCUSE ME If I can't butter up your behind fast enough and open up the call with an empathetic 'I'm sorry about so and so' as a supervisor of a damned call center you should know how it gets when crap hits the fan. At some point its just damn impossible to sound any less robotic than we do and as a person who consistently QA's in the solid if not high 90s that five minute back reaming made me shed a tear because I was left so frustrated.

Are you happy?!

Good!

It was one of those situations that no matter what the hell I did there was just no friggin' winning.

Also, I hope that call wasn't QA'd. It would have flunked because he pointed it out.. that I sucked. I hate those stupid customer QA cards or just QA's in general... because damned if I do, damned if I don't. Nobody really takes the whole day into consideration, its only about 'that given moment in time.' and it doesn't matter how many shitty calls came before the one that was actually scored. There's only so much a person can handle before they start to crack.
              "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

I'm astonished at the complaint about the disability! To be honest though I was actually impressed by the level of equality I saw in the US when I went on holiday to Orlando in 2009. Now I don't know if a certain mouse-themed company are any different in this respect but in one park I saw a one-armed lady working the monorail and a one-armed man in a wheelchair behind the counter in one of the shops. Neither disability seemed to affect their ability to do their job so well done to the Mouse.

Comment

There was an article a while back in the Boston Globe about how the Mass Pike is going to go completely open road tolling (with bills sent to those without an ezpass) in order to reduce congestion. People were bitching about how they would no longer be able to drop off coffee to their favorite toll collectors or arrange dates. There's being polite while in line and then there's that bit of madness.

Comment

I have a coworker who is legally blind, sounds a lot like your cashier but he doesn't have a service dog. He does have a little magnifying glass but doesn't always need to use it; for instance he can see his phone if he holds it up right next to his eyes. He works in grocery, and a lot of times out at break or lunch we'll joke that he should get on a register and see how the customers like it - he could probably do the job but it would take a little while
                    Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Quoth retro View Post
                      I'm astonished at the complaint about the disability! To be honest though I was actually impressed by the level of equality I saw in the US when I went on holiday to Orlando in 2009. Now I don't know if a certain mouse-themed company are any different in this respect but in one park I saw a one-armed lady working the monorail and a one-armed man in a wheelchair behind the counter in one of the shops. Neither disability seemed to affect their ability to do their job so well done to the Mouse.
                      When Evil Empryss went to Spain a couple of years ago, she was astonished at the lack of handicapped access (she uses a cane or a walker on many days). Basically, she was left with the impression the handicapped were kept at home out of sight, because she didn't see any handicapped folks, and got a lot of stares from the locals due to her disability.

I had exactly the opposite experience when I went to Korea a few weeks later. Not only were there plenty of handicapped people of all stripes mingling in the community, they were treated with great respect by their fellow citizens. Or at least, so I observed. I think it has to do with the emphasis on politeness in general for the culture.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                        I had exactly the opposite experience when I went to Korea a few weeks later. Not only were there plenty of handicapped people of all stripes mingling in the community, they were treated with great respect by their fellow citizens. Or at least, so I observed. I think it has to do with the emphasis on politeness in general for the culture.
                        When I visited Japan, I went to two large cities (Tokyo and Kyoto) and one small town. My general observation was that anytime something was new, it was accessible. So, in Tokyo, there were ramps and elevators and handicapped restrooms and so on. But Kyoto, which has super old buildings, especially temples and shrines, was much less so. I don't think this is due to lack of respect, there just probably isn't a great way to remodel these structures. And in the small town I did get stared at. I think it was me not being Asian, though.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          My general observation was that anytime something was new, it was accessible.<snip> I don't think this is due to lack of respect, there just probably isn't a great way to remodel these structures.
                          I can't speak for Spain, but this is certainly true of Denmark. Most public offices and most buildings from the sixties and forward, will have some kind of wheelchair access. A 500 year old castle turned museum, not so much .

Comment

Working...
                          X