Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burlap is in demand for the "rustic elegance" motif. I have no idea what that may be.

Helped a friend with her wedding a couple years ago. She claimed to want "simple elegance"...and proceeded to insist everything needed glitter, sequins and crystals sprinkled onto it.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
      You've heard of a "June Wedding"? Well, it's kind of tradition to marry in the summertime, I'm not sure why. We married in November, but that's because we lived in Phoenix and didn't want all our relatives dying of heatstroke on our wedding day.
      We got married in Tucson. We chose April, and an evening ceremony to avoid the worst of the heat!
      How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

I worked at a fabric store for a while and it was amazing how miffed people got when they had to pay for samples; couldn't cut samples smaller than like 4-in or something. Then you'd find that people had taken their own scissors to the bolts and cut out their own placemat-sized chunks!
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I still think they use burlap for their undergarments.

It makes perfect sense when you think about it.
          https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
            Burlap is in demand for the "rustic elegance" motif. I have no idea what that may be.
            It tends to give that "spring, outdoorsy, romantic" type feel when done right. (ie here) Key point: when done RIGHT.

Use too much burlap and it looks like something out of Cletus and Brandine's wedding. But also it makes a good ribbon as it's not shiny.

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            I worked at a fabric store for a while and it was amazing how miffed people got when they had to pay for samples; couldn't cut samples smaller than like 4-in or something. Then you'd find that people had taken their own scissors to the bolts and cut out their own placemat-sized chunks!
            This is why whenever I needed a small swatch of fabric, I'd buy a fat quarter.

Quoth morgana View Post

I've been to weddings where just the dress cost several times both my weddings combined. Including inflation.

I just don't get it.
            Bridezillas combined with bridal stores jacking up the price. There have been a number of articles written (at least over here) where people have called up places saying they're booking for a party, then done it later saying they're booking for a wedding. Usually the wedding costs are MUCH more expensive than the party costs and/or contain things that the bride doesn't want or need but is locked into if they want to use the venue (for instance, they'll charge for putting chair covers on the seats when the bride may not want chair covers)

There used to be a really fun game around called "torture the bridesmaid" on the Net. You would basically click through different elements of her bridesmaids dress until she screamed.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
              Then you'd find that people had taken their own scissors to the bolts and cut out their own placemat-sized chunks!
              I'm quite obsessive about keeping our scissors behind the counter because of this. Other employees will just leave them strewn about on the counter, where anyone could swipe them and go crazy. And I don't just mean on fabric. A store to the south of us (Malwart) had an incident where a customer grabbed scissors (a pair that was for employee use, not in retail packaging) and stabbed a clerk at the SCO counter. Another employee somehow sat on the customer until the cops showed up. So I'm not tolerant of seeing scissors where customers can see them! I even put mine under the counter in between bolts of fabric. It's practical; I never have to search for them.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Thoughts from my just-woke-up brain:

"But this is for a wedding!"
                "And this is for a funeral."
                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  I'm quite obsessive about keeping our scissors behind the counter because of this. Other employees will just leave them strewn about on the counter, where anyone could swipe them and go crazy. And I don't just mean on fabric. A store to the south of us (Malwart) had an incident where a customer grabbed scissors (a pair that was for employee use, not in retail packaging) and stabbed a clerk at the SCO counter.
                  flutes_and_fabric posted a story about getting scissor-stabbed by a crazy customer, but it's been removed. I believe it happened, and can happen again. There is one pair of scissors I prefer (these bad boys!) because they cut quickly through fabric with a lot less stress on my hand. However, they have strong, sharp blades, I'm sure you could use them as a bayonet, as well. So yeah, I keep them out of sight under the counter, and if I see any other scissors on top of the cutting counter, I put them underneath, too.
                  Last edited by XCashier; 09-10-2014, 04:42 PM.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I have a few short comments and one long story, so to spare some of you, I'll leave the longer one till the end.

Quoth AyreBiskits View Post
                    weddings do not have to cost a fortune and ours was so much fun!
                    Quoth XCashier View Post
                    I think it cost us maybe $1500 at the absolute most, and we're still together 24 years later.
                    Story of Sister the Younger: She and her (now ex) husband had a small affair, and kept things inexpensive. They still had a lovely wedding, at a restaurant they liked (both the ceremony and the reception), music was provided by CDs they made themselves (as in, they put their choice of songs on them--they didn't actually perform on said CDs, thank goodness), and the flower arrangements were very simple and elegant lilies, which Sister the Younger prefers. (Or was it daisies? Hell if I know....this was 11 years ago.) When I asked Sister the Younger how I could help her with her wedding, there initially seemed like there was nothing I could do. No limo, no florist, no DJ. And they didn't want gifts per se, as the wedding was in New York, but they'd be living in England. So finally I asked her what she needed. Turns out she just didn't have the budget to invite everyone she wanted, as they only had $2,000 to spend on the wedding. I asked her if $500 would do the trick. She said it would, and asked why. I told her I'd send her a check. Kinda shocked her, but she is my little sister. So, yeah, for $2,500, they had a lovely little affair. And no debt.

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    We married in November, but that's because we lived in Phoenix and didn't want all our relatives dying of heatstroke on our wedding day.
                    I used to DJ weddings in Arizona. Try as I might, I will never forget the wedding that they schedule for outdoors in Phoenix....in August. Cue the "I'm meltingggggg...." line from The Wizard of Oz.

Quoth morgana View Post
                    I've been to weddings where just the dress cost several times both my weddings combined. Including inflation.
                    I remember one rather fancy affair my boss sent me to when I was DJing, which was odd, since I was more of the party DJ, but he didn't have anyone else. This thing had to cost at least $80,000. And this was 20 years ago.

Quoth Aislin View Post
                    I forgot the flowers and tablecloths for my wedding.
                    There was one wedding in Tucson I was running a bit late for. Not a huge deal, as I could set my equipment up very fast if I had to, so a few minutes late arriving did not translate to being late to start. As it turns out, it didn't matter, as the woman they hired to be both the caterer and florist never showed. The bride was a bit upset, understandable, but her bridal party and friends went into all star scramble mode, and in a very short time, went out and got a reasonable spread from a local market, and some flowers from a local florist, including a passable bouquet. All in all, a very happy ending....except for the missing caterer/florist, who I am certain got an earful a few days later.

Story of Sister the Elder: An absolute control freak, I was a bit shocked to see her not be a Bridezilla at her wedding. And then she realized she did not have a veil, or she had forgotten it somewhere, I don't recall which. Freak out time, right? Shockingly, no. To Sister the Elder's credit, she calmly assessed the situation, turned to her groom, calmly asked, "Where's my glue gun?" and then, in just a few minutes with some lace and said glue gun, made her own freakin' veil minutes before the ceremony, without raising her voice or heart rate, or the heart rate of anyone around her. I say a lot of negative things about Sister the Elder, and most to all of them are warranted, but when needed, she sure as shit can get things done!

Quoth Jetfire View Post
                    And if things don't happen exactly as planned, it'll be a great set of stories to tell and laugh about in the future (as the post above has done. )
                    My experience as a wedding professional showed me that something will always go wrong at a wedding. Knowing that and being able to deal with that separated the adults for the walking temper tantrums. The people who knew that and dealt with the inevitable flubs and such had fun. Those who didn't....didn't. As a DJ, I dreaded the weddings where they had everything scheduled down to the minute, because I knew that something would interfere with that schedule, and odds were good there would be a flip out when it did.

Story of Sister the Elder 2: For the same wedding mentioned above (each of my 2 sisters has been married, and divorced, once), Sister the Elder and her (now ex) husband scheduled the event to be outdoors at a B&B in New York. As the B&B had limited space, and could not handle that number of people inside, there was no backup plan concocted for the possibility of rain. This was September of 1999.

Some of you weather aficionados may recognize that time frame as the same one that saw Hurricane Floyd rip through New Jersey and New York, and much of the Northeast. That happened two days before Sister the Elder's wedding date. There was much flooding as a result, and much worry on many people's part regarding the feasibility of getting the wedding off as scheduled.

I was not one of those people. I knew that Floyd would clear out and leave sunny skies for the day of the wedding. And that is exactly what happened. Why did I know that? I've mentioned Sister Elder many times before, usually as "The Witch," and how eve at her 5' height she get shit done, often by steamrolling anyone and everyone. In short, even Hurricane Floyd was too scared of her to fuck with her wedding day.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    I didn't run into a store and yell "I need tablecloths for a wedding! Stop what you're doing and heeeeeeeelp meeeeeee!"
                    I did something like this once, though far funnier, and with better results.

My friend the Lawyer was getting married in New Jersey. I was part of the wedding party. The ceremony and the reception were 45 minutes from one another, and in addition to the two limos for the wedding party, Lawyer and her (now) husband had hired a bus to shuttle many of the guests from one to the other.

The second limo carried Lawyer, who didn't really drink much, her groom, her maid of honor, and the best man, who didn't drink at all.

The lead limo carried the rest of the the bridal party: the four bridesmaids, mostly the bride's sisters, and the four groomsmen, including me. After the ceremony, as we were waiting in the lead limo for the limos to depart, we discovered that the limo had only a couple bottles of champagne. For eight people. All of whom drank. The driver informed us that that was standard, and the bridal limo would have the same setup....for two people who drank, and two who did not.

"We need more booze!" This was a consensus. We all agreed on it. Not being a native to the area, I asked where there was a liquor store along the route. Upon reflection, some of the party came up with such a place. As I was sitting in the front of the limo, right near the separation between us and the driver, I told the driver he was to stop at said liquor store. He initially refused, being (intelligently) scared shitless of the bride, another control freak. (I did mention she's a Lawyer, right?) I told him not to worry about Lawyer, as I would assume responsibility and take any heat that came down on him. I also may have slipped him some green paper incentive. After a few minutes of relentless badgering by us, he agreed. And since the bridal limo would follow wherever the lead limo went, we were fully in control of the situation.

Next problem: who would be the ones to go into the liquor store? Logically it should have been two of the people in the rear of the limo, but one of them, engaged to one of Lawyer's sisters, bravely said, "Oh, hell no! Lawyer will kill me!" Realizing he was correct, it quickly became obvious that of the eight of us, only the two Wild Childs in Lawyer's life could actually pull off such a stunt and not be eviscerated by her, as she kinda expected such stunts from said Wild Child. One Wild Child was a lovely girl named "Jill." The other one was yours truly. Surprise!

So when it's finally time to go, we head out, and the limos get on the highway. As we approach the liquor store, we see a problem: the only access to their parking lot is directly off said highway, and there is no way within the laws of physics or the laws of New Jersey that either limo is going to be able to make that turn. So we tell the driver to pull up on the highway shoulder. He does, followed by a very confused bunch in the bridal limo, who we had not bothered informing of our plans. (That may have been intentional.....)

The lead limo stops, and Jill and I burst forth from it, sprinting across the parking lot in our full formal attire. We run into the liquor store and up to the first staff member we see, and one of us (I don't recall which) basically shouts, "We need a box of white, a box of red, and two bottles of champagne, STAT!!!" The guy stops in his tracks, looks us up and down in our tux and town, and after a momentary pause to assess the situation, SPRINGS into action! He grabs us everything we need in record time (there may have been some more booze involved), and gets us into the checkout line and cashed out in Six Espresso Speed, while the rest of the staff and customers look on in various states of confusion and amusement.

With a shouted "THANK YOU!" to our savior, we then sprint out of the liquor store and back across the parking lot to the waiting limos, booze in hand. At that very moment, the shuttle bus for the wedding guests rolled by on the highway, and many faces were glued to the windows, watching our mad dash. The photographer later told me that that was the best photo he ever missed getting, as he never thought he'd need his camera at the ready on a shuttle bus on a New Jersey highway. Now, the original plan had been for Jill to take what we had gotten for the bridal limo to them, but somehow it ended up in my hands, so I ended up running up to the bridal limo, handing the non-drinking best man a bottle of whatever we had gotten them (he was cracking up, and the other three looked vaguely confused), then I made a last mad dash to the lead limo, leapt in, found my seat, turned to the driver, and calmly said, "GO!"

Then we drank, laughed, and told stories about Lawyer on video for the next 45 minutes.

Post script: Upon arriving at the reception, Jill and I were delighted to find out that there would be a cocktail hour before dinner, and even more delighted to find out that the bar had Guinness on draft. We immediately got a couple of pints for ourselves, and started drinking it. About this time, Lawyer came up to us and asked, "Don't you think you two should slow it down?" I looked at Jill, and Jill looked at me, and we both looked at Lawyer with innocent and confused expressions, and I said, "Slow down? We haven't even started yet!" Lawyer said, "You're kidding, right?" Jill looked her dead in the eyewear and said, "It's US. Of course he's not kidding." Lawyer just shook her head and walked away, expecting disaster.

A couple hours later, Jill and I both gave inspired and fantastic toasts to Lawyer and her new groom. I even sat in for half an hour behind the DJ booth, spinning some tunes. Jill and I drank well into the night, having a blast.

I probably should have married that girl.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

My favourite story is of a family friend who went to a friend's low-key engagement party, that turned out to be a surprise wedding

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        I assume the fridge was at the florist's where you ordered the flowers. If that's the case, they damn well better not charge you for the flowers - after all, THEY destroyed them.
                        Yes, but they tried to charge me for the vases which I had brought from home having special ordered them from a wedding supply place as the florist refused to. That should have been my hint not to use them but they had great reviews and a great supplier.

They place that got me the replacement flowers was recommended by the hostess at my reception venue.

Comment

Working...
                        X