X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human Shield

damn damn DAMN DAMN

The last 2 nights were really crappy tip wise (I made less than 7% both nights). BUSY because of the home opener for the local football team but people seemed extra cranky and cheap.

YEAH I get it that stiffs are part of the game BUT come on people. Last night I had 5, count em 5 straight stiffs on $50+ orders.

The worst one was a $70 order paid with a card. The guy signs the CC slip (with a big ZERO in the tip line) and hands me back the slip. He then motions over his little 3 or 4 year old daughter who in turn hands me a single $1 bill.

Yes it was cute and all BUT quit hiding your cheapness behind some small child.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Jeez. I don't think I've ever not tipped. Servers/waiters are always nice to me. Also, I consider the tip part of the total, not optional, unless the waiter openly insulted me or something. And what was that with the kid? He should have left at least $10, right? Probably more like $15. Jerk.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I gave a very low tip (I think around 6%) once because the service was absolutely brutal. It was the laziest most disinterested server I've ever encountered. He didn't treat me or anyone in my group with anything even slightly resembling respect.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I've failed to tip exactly once, and that was when the server just disappeared. Literally. Even the manager couldn't find him. The manager wound up taking over the table, and I know from previously working at that same chain that managers aren't allowed to take tips.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I could never work in an industry where we have to rely on tips. People are mean anyway, but I think those who don't tip where no bad service was received are just horrible bullies.

Comment

If you wanna commiserate with RM about the SC, that's fine. That's awesome.

You all know by now that comments about whether to tip or not/how much to tip belong on Fratching. Kindly either take them there or just knock it off.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I used to work as a pizza driver. I found it funny that the fancier the house I delivered to, the more likely I was to get stiffed OR to get a bigger tip. If the house was cheap or in general disrepair, I could almost guarantee a small tip. It was a gamble sometimes: Do I try my luck at getting a big tip on Ritzy Boulevard, or do I play it safe and get a dollar or two on Cheap Duplex Drive?

Also had the tip-from-the-kid thing before. I agree that it was cute, but that never made up for a miniscule tip. One dollar on a $70 order is insulting. And speaking of insulting, I actually had a lady write out a $75 check for a $74.95 order and tell me, as if she was doing me a huge favor, "That extra nickel is for you. You can keep that." And this after I had trudged up her steep, muddy driveway, carrying her pile of pizzas, and almost slipped and fell at least twice.

But the kids can be fun. One kid handed me a bag of his Easter candy when his mom told me that she didn't have enough cash for a "proper" tip. One little girl "tipped" me with a handful of dandelions. One kid rushed out to greet me as I got out of the car said, "I can't give you a tip, but I can help!" as he proceeded to carry the soda bottle and open doors for me. They can be fun at times...
              I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
              - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
              - IPF

Comment

Been there... I remember delivering to a guy who was probably in his 50's around Christmas time... he went out of his way to tell me he was tipping me a dollar or two because it was Christmas. At the time I was young and naive, so I just thanked him but if I knew then what I know now I would have let him have it. "Sir, you do realize that drivers live off their tips, don't you? They pay us $2 an hour." I really wish I'd done that more often. Try and get me fired, I dare you.

I remember a couple of kids (10 - 11ish?) paying for the food and stiffing me, but I got the idea to ask "How much did you want back?" - for the most part that seemed to knock a little common sense into them and most of them would tip me after that. I think for the most part they honestly didn't know how tipping worked since they were so young.

But some adults are just cheap assholes.
                Last edited by MadMike; 09-16-2014, 12:46 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.

Comment

I don't know if I could ever work in a place where I would need to rely on tips more than my actual pay...I've seen the way some people tip and it baffles me that these waiters/waitresses aren't emaciated from starvation!

The only time I've never tipped was in NYC this May. I went to a cupcake place (the one from SNL's Lazy Sunday song!), and as I was on a MEGA budget - I had about 100 dollars for 5 days - when I got my receipt to sign, I said to the lady "ma'am, listen, you're very nice but I'm a broke college-aged kid with a minimum wage job on a budget, I hope you understand, and if I ever see you again I'll give you 20 bucks." She said "I know how that goes, don't worry about it!" And I was on my merry way. It was a great cupcake. I still feel guilty for not tipping, but I've also never seen a cupcake store with a spot for a tip on the receipt.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    If you wanna commiserate with RM about the SC, that's fine. That's awesome.

You all know by now that comments about whether to tip or not/how much to tip belong on Fratching. Kindly either take them there or just knock it off.

Thanks Eric. I forgot to put my usual "Take tipping discussions over to Fratching" disclaimer on my OP

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                    Also had the tip-from-the-kid thing before. I agree that it was cute, but that never made up for a miniscule tip. One dollar on a $70 order is insulting. And speaking of insulting, I actually had a lady write out a $75 check for a $74.95 order and tell me, as if she was doing me a huge favor, "That extra nickel is for you. You can keep that." And this after I had trudged up her steep, muddy driveway, carrying her pile of pizzas, and almost slipped and fell at least twice.
                    I get this happening with CC slips since my company stopped taking personal checks about 9 years ago. I think this is a case of keeping their checking/ CC account rounded out to the nearest dollar so they do NOT have to do any "difficult" math type calculations that I could easily do with a calculator or simple spreadsheet.

But the kids can be fun. One kid handed me a bag of his Easter candy when his mom told me that she didn't have enough cash for a "proper" tip. One little girl "tipped" me with a handful of dandelions. One kid rushed out to greet me as I got out of the car said, "I can't give you a tip, but I can help!" as he proceeded to carry the soda bottle and open doors for me. They can be fun at times...
                    and I agree whole heartily and that is part of what makes the job fun and interesting to me. I just absolutely hate it when parents "use" their young children as "shields".
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I'm lucky I don't have to depend on tips. However, the bartenders on the train do tip the cooks out which certainly helps. How much the bartenders get tipped seems to depend on which cruise line is on the train that day. We get people from all over the globe too, some of whom have different customs in regards to tipping. Fortunately, Alaska pays bartenders and servers the full minimum wage instead of the standard two dollars and change. So even if they have a lousy day tip wise, their paycheck will still be half way decent.
                      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                        I could never work in an industry where we have to rely on tips. People are mean anyway, but I think those who don't tip where no bad service was received are just horrible bullies.
                        I worked as a pizza driver for about 8 months, and it was one of the most enjoyable jobs I've ever had. I really liked it.

Most customers tipped me decently. Some tipped me a buck or two on a $20 order, but at least it was something. My shop paid me a dollar more than minimum wage, plus mileage so it didn't hurt so bad.

But since most delivery shops don't deliver for free anymore, and STILL don't pay their driver's minimum wage, a lot of suckstomers have taken this to mean they have excuse NOT to tip. They know full well the driver doesn't get the delivery charge . . . which was just a way of raising prices without raising prices. So when a driver gets stiffed, it hurts.

I guess most drivers must still get enough to make a decent living or no one would do it. But anyone who doesn't tip their driver is a total dick. Even when the food is late, I still tip because I'm a good customer, and if I call the manager will usually comp my next order if the problem was their fault.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                          I used to work as a pizza driver. I found it funny that the fancier the house I delivered to, the more likely I was to get stiffed OR to get a bigger tip. If the house was cheap or in general disrepair, I could almost guarantee a small tip. It was a gamble sometimes: Do I try my luck at getting a big tip on Ritzy Boulevard, or do I play it safe and get a dollar or two on Cheap Duplex Drive?
                          THIS. When I drove for a pizza place, there was a posh, gated 'planned community' full of McMansions, and apparently there was some 11th commandment there...'THOU SHALT NOT TIP." One night we got an order for about $130 worth of food... Big party going on, the driveway was full of expensive luxury cars, and my 'tip' was like thirty cents.

I expected poor tips on the other end of our delivery zone, where the neighborhood was somewhat less financially well-off. When you're broke, a generous tip is difficult to justify - hey, I'm a working stiff, I get it.

My best tips were from the middle-class. Seriously - one fellow let me keep the change on a $32 order - he paid with a FIFTY!

Sometimes I miss doing that work. Then I hear about how some poor driver got robbed and/or beaten, and I remember exactly why I DON'T do this sort of work any more. Also, it's my understanding that today, the 'compensation' for this work is way, WAY less than it used to be.

Comment

Just ordered Pizza Slut for me and the folks, since I promised them supper.

It was a $34 order. Gave the guy two 20s, said keep the change.

If everyone were like me, they'd get their pizza quickly.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                              If everyone were like me, they'd get their pizza quickly.
                              Exactly. I always tip the pizza guy well, and as a result, my pizza is often at my house in less than twenty minutes and sometimes they throw in extra goodies. It's a win, win situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X