This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muted Siren nearly meant that our car got totalled

Hubby Driving & me in the passenger seat. About 6pm in the evening.

We were going round the horrible roundabout with all the local big stores on it and could hear some faint sirens. They were about half volume and we both looked round and could see nothing obvious, no lights etc. Hubby mutters "where is that coming from then, can't see anything."

We are then going from one section of the roundabout to the next, past the exit for the next exit/entrance and just as we are doing so I see a blue flash out of the corner of my eye. I look over and the entrance we are just about to start crossing has a police car speeding down it and is only about 10 car lengths away from us.

I stutter out a warning to hubby "police car coming at us" or something and he does an emergency stop. Luckily no one is too close behind us and I can see someone in the next lane of the roundabout doing exactly the same thing as us.

By the time we've stopped its about 3 car lengths away and hasn't slowed down or even moved out to the outer lane of the roundabout in order to avoid us. The passenger officer gives me a quick 'thank you' wave and they go across us with almost no room to spare. Even then the siren seems to only be about half volume as if it was still quite a distance away.

If we hadn't stopped just where we were I can't see anything else happening except them plowing straight into the side of us.

(FYI - I appreciate they have to get to the incident asap - I'm still mightily confused as to why the siren was so quiet. We normally do everything possible to keep out of the Services way and hubby has even moved out past a red traffic light before - when safe to do so - to make sure they can get through)
    Last edited by Gizmo; 04-25-2012, 05:23 PM.
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

They may have had an issue with it, but I've noticed that in recent years sirens have gotten quieter. I know it's not just due to my hearing loss as other have commented on it too. Newer cars also have so much sound dampening stuff in them that some cars with the windows up you cannot hear ANY outside noise unless it's right next to you.

There are also limited places to mount sirens on newer police vehicles. The usual spot in around/behind the grill but cars like Chargers don't have room. They can be put on the push bumper but then they are not as protected. Hubby used to help with the install of emergency equipment and they would have to get creative in some cases.
    Last edited by kpzra; 04-25-2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately some Forces don't always get it right when buying their kit so there is a distinct variability in siren volume/noises.

This also shows with the lights. Where I live now has LEDs but the next force area up still has filament bulbs with spinning mirrors (circa early 90s).

The noise dampning does have an effect though, especially on some particular noises.
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

We had an ambulance going to the same scene a few minutes later and that siren was fine. Ours is an older car too - 1999 I think.

The general thing for sirens around here is that they have gotten louder and have introduced a 'silent' section which I think is a white noise thing to help locate the source?

I'm just glad we managed to stop when we had!
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post

The general thing for sirens around here is that they have gotten louder and have introduced a 'silent' section which I think is a white noise thing to help locate the source?
          How bizarre - although national trials were done with that noise in the late 90s it was abandoned soon after, something about not sounding right to the crews apparently.
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
          X