This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, your're not getting on that list

Recently, we removed almost all our internal Distribution Lists and started from scratch. Before it had no real rhyme or reason, or naming convention and people were added to the list the best fit them. Well, that caused problems as people got emails that they never should have or never got the email they needed. So we started from scratch using our official org. chart and created lists based on dept, then only added the users in that dept. Simple, right? Well, no

One user, whit has no stake in the daily ops of IT was for some reason on the old list, well now they are not on the new one. I got a nasty email from them DEMANDING to know why they stopped getting those emails. I send a quick reply, and mention the email everyone received stating the reasons for the new system. Well, they call me a few hours later.

M: Hello?
    SU: Yes, you emailed me a response as to why I am not on the IT list.
    M: Ok. Do you have questions?
    SU: No. Just put me on the list.
    M: As explained in the email, we can not do that for security reasons. Frequently, sensitive info is sent to that list.
    SU: But I won't do anything bad with it.
    M: I'm sorry Per or Finance (dept that IT reports to) Dept we can not do that.
    SU: Ok, how will I know if you plan in inconvenience me with outages or have other important info to share.
    M: First of all, any discussion about that on the IT list is a draft and subject to change. We don't want to confuse people. Secondly, as is our policy before any planned outages, changes, etc, we will notify the entire organization from 48 hours to several weeks before hand.
    SU: But I need to know, everything IT does.
    M: *no, you don't* Well, we do have a procedure in place for exceptions, put you request in writing with reasons and send it to <Finance Dir.> and we will review it at our next monthly Finance/IT meeting.
    SU: Fine, I will.

Well we have the meeting and SU had no valid reason to be on the list so we deny their request, unanimously. Finance Dir. gets to tell SU. It does not go well, and SU decided to email our email admin asking the to sneak them on. Email admin say no and notes the previous meeting. Oh, they also CC Finance Dir and all of IT. SU replies "Fine. But your still wrong."

Just explain to him "Need to Know" does not include "Want to Know."
    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Again, nice try but the answer is still NO!

We recently sent a email to the users of a certain application that were were taking it down for maintenance, from 1 AM - 6 AM. SU is a user of that app.

I get a VM and a Email from SU. Essentially, it said "I am very aggravated that IT does not tell me when they are discussing these actions. It is imperative that I know in advance for my many projects my job requires of the use of this app. I want on the list."

Fine, I check SUs log-in history. It is basically as follows, Monday - Friday every day around 10 or 11 AM and a occasional Saturday or Sunday log-in.

I reply: Dear Mr. SU, I understand your concern about access to the critical data managed by app, however, you records indicate your log-in occur Mon-Fr every morning around 10 AM and a occasional weekend. We carefully monitor usage of applications before we schedule downtime and the window scheduled is the time period with the least use. However these circumstances do not necessitate your membership on IT list as the circumstance have not changed since IT/Finance Dept meeting. If you have nay questions, please contact the HD."

Haven't heard back.

Comment

Working...
      X