This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone touchd it, crap.

Early morning phone calls before major events are bad.

Back story: we recently got money to replace all the old wireless gear in out permanent and portable PA systems. It arrived and the AV part of the IT dept racked up the equipment and realized we were missing some cables, then did a setup for a big event but only had needs for a few wired mics and left. A few days later the cables arrived but our AV folds were busy with a off site event. Well the big but simple event day was ready and AV guy was sleeping (it was 7 AM, event was at 11). They were expecting to arrive at 9:30 ish) and the phone rings.

The PA system is not working. Nothing. AV guy wonders why someone touche it but, anyway. The arrive 7:45 and go to the 30 something U high rack wiht the audio gear. It's open. The box of cables is open and next to it. The formerly neat rack is a mess, wire everywhere. New gear is plugged in somewhere.

Well, they kill the power to the rack and call me. I arrive and see the mess. We decide to grab a spare amp and mixer and get the need mics working for the event just in time.

After the event gets out, AV guy and myself spend almost 2 hours trying to figure out what happened. We give up and AV guy begins to rip it apart and start form scratch while I contact facilitates to try to figure out who has keys and who may have gotten access to the key safe where spares are.

I go back to help AV guy get rack rewired to meet out basic needs and we call it quits for the day.

In the end we spent almost 30 hours to re do the rack and get it all working correctly again. Thankfully no equipment was damaged and sadly our Facilities folds were not able to figure out exactly who or how keys got out so no HR action could be taken.

I've had similar things happen to me here, although unfortunately, it was my own co-workers that created the damned mess. They don't even know how to wrap cables properly, but for some reason, the boss infinitely favors them over me.

Comment

UPDATE

I have a suspicion on who did it. Our Finance guy, who is above IT in the food chain, sent a email out to everyone about responsibility and proper procedures for various issue and who to contact. Basically if you have a issue with somethign you are not responsible for, contact the appropriate people. For IT stuff, contact X, here's how, etc. While they didn't explicitly say any thing about the incident AV guy got a email. From a CW, that said "I saw email from Finance guy, what was the issue with the sound?" Hmmmm.

Comment

Meh. I spent hours rewiring server racks at work, only to leave at 11PM, come back at 8AM next day (screwey shift) and find out the rack I rewired is 10 times worse than when I started. I fix it, and next day, it's all back, PLUS the adjacent racks are in the same shape now.

I've sent emails, I've asked, I've pleaded, I now say "f*ck you, coworkers!" and let it keep adding up. I'm job hunting anyways, and with luck won't be here much longer.

In short, I'm sorry that happened, and I've been there before. It's not fun by any definition of the word.
        Coworker: Distro of choice?
        Me: Gentoo.
        Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Working...
        X