This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Jester!

Went out for Cinco De Mayo tonight with the fam, and decided I should take some advice from one of your posts.

Since I don't really like margaritas, I decided on a strawberry daiquiri. It was so good. Like a boozy fruit slush.

So thank you again for awesome booze advice!
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Please, never again say publicly that advice *I* gave you led you to a slushy frozen drink. I'll never be able to live it down if my fellow mixologists heard that.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Well since you weren't there personally to advise me, and I was stuck with the booze menu full of pictures, I think I did okay.

Seeing if I will have vacation time in August to head down to Florida for the real thing.
      https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Trust in the Jester ..... and can I recommend this little motel we stayed at. It is a block or so off Duval and comfortable if old fashioned and not one of the huge resort chain hotel type places.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Yes, trust in him. He exposed me to so many good beers. I HIGHLY recommend the Cigar City Maduro. It's so good, I brought a 6 pack back home with me.
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

*walks up drunk to one of Jester's fellow mixologists with a slushy fruity drink* Jester advised me to try this woo :P
            ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
              Seeing if I will have vacation time in August to head down to Florida for the real thing.
              If you do come to the Keys, let me know, and I'll try to help you with whatever I can for your trip. If you go to another part of Florida, I may or may not be able to advise you, depending on where it is.

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
              Yes, trust in him. He exposed me to so many good beers. I HIGHLY recommend the Cigar City Maduro. It's so good, I brought a 6 pack back home with me.
              Individual taste will vary, but Mathnerd will back Vic up regarding the Maduro. Truly a great beer.

Quoth darkroxas45 View Post
              *walks up drunk to one of Jester's fellow mixologists with a slushy fruity drink* Jester advised me to try this woo :P
              If that was in my town, it might well be the last thing you remember doing.

And by the way, do it right. It's not woo. It's

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                If that was in my town, it might well be the last thing you remember doing.

And by the way, do it right. It's not woo. It's

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
                Only on CS would I get corrected on my WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! by a bartender

Comment

Reminds me of one of my favorite jokes that I made up last year.

How many Spring Breakers does it take to change a light bulb?

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

If you've never been to Spring Break, you just can't understand.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    Individual taste will vary, but Mathnerd will back Vic up regarding the Maduro. Truly a great beer.

Yup. Last time I was in Key West I relieved Jester of three of them from his personal stash (with his permission). I only have one left and I'm saving it for a special occasion.
                    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I love a certain mixed drink with punch in the name from a bar and grill in the sea life theme park in Orlando its awesome

Comment

Jester, I have a question maybe you can help me with...

Ok, background first, I live in Ga, Warner Robins to be exact & while I don't drink that often when we go out to dinner (which is another thing we don't do too often either due to finances) Anyhow, there's this little mexican food restaurant around the corner from our pharmacy & every time I go there for lunch & order a mudslide, the wait person has NOT a clue what I am talking about! And this place has a full bar too, the only time I get what I asked for is if the manager who knows our family happens to be working & she makes it personally

So, my question is, how can a place that has a full bar not know how to make a mudslide??? or not keep the basic ingredients on hand?

That's the other problem, sometimes I'll get someone who knows what I mean, but then as to come back & tell me they don't have the ingredients
                        "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

How can this happen?

It's simple, actually. If a place does not regularly serve a particular cocktail, they very well may not have the ingredients for it on hand. As an example, if Vic's Tavern doesn't serve mojitos on a regular basis, they'd have no reason to keep fresh mint on hand. (Mint does not have a long shelf life, and if you don't serve a decent amount of mojitos, it would be counterproductive to bother with a large supply of mint. If you only have someone asking for a mojito once a month or so, it would be silly to bother serving or offering mojitos, as it would cost more money than it would net the business.)

Likewise, you can have a full bar and not have the basic ingredients for other cocktails. You view a mudslide as a basic cocktail, but it involves vodka, Kahlua, Bailey's, ice cream, and chocolate syrup, as well as necessitating a blender. Other than the vodka, not all of these are so basic. A lot of bars carry them, yes, but they are not something that every bar would carry. Having a "full bar" does not mean that a bar is going to carry everything under the sun. It merely means that they have beer, wine, and liquor. How extensive that liquor selection is will vary from bar to bar.

Also, a Mexican restaurant is not a place one would normally expect to get a mudslide. Thinking about it now, I can see that such a frosty dairy drink would go well with spicy food, but before your post, I'd never have thought of a mudslide in a Mexican place. And as a Southwesterner and avid Mexican food eater, I've been to more than my share of Mexican eateries. A parallel I'd draw would be going into a sushi place that has wine and expecting them to have Chianti.

Frankly, I'm surprised they were able to make you a mudslide at all at this place. For you to expect them to always be able to do so is a bit unrealistic, not just because of what I said above about Mexican places and mudslides, but because you made it clear they don't really seem to do mudslides other than for you. After all, if they did them on a regular basis, they'd have no problem accommodating you, right?

So my suggestion, which you may not like, is to not expect a "little Mexican place" in Georgia to be able to whip you up a mudslide whenever you go in for lunch. Honestly, it's obvious from your tale that it's just not gonna happen.

Is all lost, then? No. When confronted by what appears to be a losing situation, one can adapt and improvise to make it work. Here's what I would do: Mexican restaurants often have horchata, a lovely nonalcoholic cinnamon rice milk drink that goes phenomenally with Mexican food. If they have a full bar as you say, they can quite easily serve you an horchata and put some booze in it. If they have Bailey's and Kahlua, I'd go for half a shot of each in the horchata. If either or both of those are the ingredients they don't have, then go for something else, perhaps some vodka or rum.

Will it be the same as a mudslide? Not at all. Would it still be delicious, tasty, and cooling on the palate? Absolutely! As the Stones infamously sang, "You can't always get what you want....buy it you try sometimes, you'll find, you get what you need."

Adjust your expectations for the place, as it seems clear the establishment is not going to adjust their bar for one customer.

Hope this helps.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                          X