Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd children's names (odd names of children, not names of odd children to clarify)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I see a celebrity here has a six year old daughter called Lolita.
    Lolita- and this is mentioned right off in the novel- is a nickname for Dolores. As is Lola. Nabakov ruined it for everyone I suppose.

Today our church bulletin named two kids who were just baptized- Paisley and McAyla. My husband says Paisley is cute. I said no adult should have to live with the name Paisley, and hopefully she'll be an adult much longer than she's a kid.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Lola makes me think transsexual immediately....
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I used to know a female Connor, and at the same time I was friends with both a male and female Taylor.
        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I have a cousin who named her son Paition (sounds like Payton).

She named her daughter Katilyn, but I think it's pronounced like "Kate Lynn", but looks like it's "Katy Lynn".
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
            I used to know a female Connor, and at the same time I was friends with both a male and female Taylor.
            my son has a girl in his year level called Sydney. It came to my notice when they tried to put her into an all boys class. (needless to say that go remedied before classes started).

Comment

Bet she won't complain if she accidentally gets put into an all boys dorm at summer camp... :P
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                Today I see a celebrity here has a six year old daughter called Lolita. Now it might be a lovely name,but all sorts of things spring to mind when you see that.
                I've seen a sign for a daycare centre called Lolita Gardens Daycare. Admittedly the place is on a street called Lolita Gardens, but using the name for a daycare centre makes me go .

Tracey used to be a boy's name.
                Still is - ever heard of singer Tracey Byrd?

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                Lolita- and this is mentioned right off in the novel- is a nickname for Dolores. As is Lola.
                Her name was Dolores
                She was a showgirl ...

Would Anthony be a good name for a bartender?
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Odd names

I love names; ever since I was a child, I have made lists of all the names I could think of or find, and have come across some very interesting ones. I have found that the more interesting, the more I like it.

Some of my favorites are:
                  Allihmyir (girl)
                  Caoilfhionn (girl)
                  Pietronella (girl)
                  Emrys (boy)
                  Jehanneton (girl)
                  Gislebert (boy)
                  Clarissant (girl)

(I have a list of over 4000 names that I've hand written, so I've got lots more)

Comment

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=102656
                    Ah here we are... fun with male and female names...

Apart from the Kelly's and Kerry's,there's also Holly Johnson,Michael Learned,Laura Corum and Marion Morrison(John Wayne).I'm sure we can drag more up.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Robin Williams' daughter is named Zelda.
                      Hubs and I don't have a daughter yet but we've already agreed on Xelda for when we do have one. Spelling it with an "X" we figure will buy us a few more years before she'd figure it out.

And I actually met a guy named Link once. His birthday predated the games, though.

On an unrelated note, I have a friend named Gordon. That's her name. Throws people off who just read her name and haven't met her since it's typically considered a male name.
                      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

To be fair, Michael Jackson's son's name is not really Blanket, that's a nickname. I'd hate to have a nickname like that as an adult, though.

I really hate some of the weird names I see. Recently I've come across Kyuss, McKinzee and Makayla. Ugh. What's wrong with the real name, "Michaela"? It's actually the female from of Michael. Plus, the prefix "Mc" or "Mac" means "son of" but all these McKenna's and MacKenzie's are girls.

I don't get the trend of giving your kid a surname as a first name, but whatever floats your boat, I guess....Except they should at least not be too hard to pronounce, or your kid's gonna spend an awful lot of time correcting people's mispronunciation.

Check out this website, you'll laugh your butt off.
                        Last edited by MoonCat; 04-19-2015, 04:08 AM.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                          On an unrelated note, I have a friend named Gordon. That's her name. Throws people off who just read her name and haven't met her since it's typically considered a male name.
                          There's a bit in the book "Plain Truth" where the two female main characters (lawyer and client) assume that the judge they've got is male, because the name "Phil Leadbetter" comes up. Nope-it's female...short for "Philomena".
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I forgot about one woman I worked with. We called her Andy, which I always assumed was short for Andrea until I saw her sign her name one day. Xanadu. I would have stuck with Andy too.
                            Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

A good friend of mine has a 5-year-old daughter named Temperence. Apparently, it's an old Puritan name. While unique, her daughter wants to be called "Penny Lane" instead. We think she likes the Beatles
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

you might not find many Ednas or Enids this side of 70.
                                When I worked for MajorBank, employees who called us would often times come through already verified and their names would pop up on our computer screens. If they did, we were to greet them using their names. One day a woman named Enid came through and I did as I was supposed to do. She got all excitd because I actually pronounced her name correctly. I laughed and told her I'd better know how to say the name because I had both a sister and a grandmother with the name.
                                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                                X