This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do holidays mean what they used to...

Or, for that matter, do holidays mean what they're supposed to...any more?

I mean, think about it:

In the U.S., "Memorial Day" is supposed to be a day set aside for remembering those who have fallen in the line of military duty.

But what have we turned it into? Basically a 3 day weekend where we grill, boat, and drink.

It's almost the same with Independence Day (July 4th in the U.S.). It seems now that it's nothing more than another excuse for a (possible) day off work, and another grilling/boating/drinking day. And maybe a parade.

It's the same with Thanksgiving. The name of the holiday tells you what it should be about. But Thanksgiving has turned into "let's gorge ourselves on food with family we may or may not like, then watch football". Oh, and we might (depending on occupation) get a day off in the middle of the week. Yay!

Christmas is the same way. It seems like it's gone from the celebration of the birth of Christ to "Let's see how much debt I can accrue to buy gifts for people". It seems like it's turned more into Santa, Snowmen, Rudolph, and Presents than anything else.

Not to mention that now, most, if not all of these holidays have sales associated with them. Car sales, Mattress sales, heck, even Guitar Center has a "Memorial Day" sale.

And yes, I recognize that not everyone gets to take these days off. And yes, I also recognize I'm just as guilty as doing these things as a lot of people (though I don't own a boat, I have grilled on these holidays, and I've hit my fair share of Guitar Center Memorial Day sales).

But I do honestly make an effort on these days to try to reflect upon what they're really about.

What say you?
    Last edited by mjr; 05-10-2015, 12:48 PM.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Quoth mjr View Post

It's the same with Thanksgiving. The name of the holiday tells you what it should be about. But Thanksgiving has turned into "let's gorge ourselves on food with family we may or may not like, then watch football". Oh, and we might (depending on occupation) get a day off in the middle of the week. Yay!
    You forgot "trample total strangers for cheap shit."

Black Friday has officially pushed its fat ass right into Thanksgiving.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      You're behind the times. Now Thanksgiving is "camp in front of stores to get goodies. Who cares about family, being first in line for the STUFF is the only thing that matters!"
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
        Christmas is the same way. It seems like it's gone from the celebration of the birth of Christ to "Let's see how much debt I can accrue to buy gifts for people". It seems like it's turned more into Santa, Snowmen, Rudolph, and Presents than anything else.
        Actually the true meaning of "Christmas", before the Church took over the holiday, was a wild and wanton celebration of the Winter Solstice. We're just getting back to the true meaning.

You forgot St. Patrick's Day and the Cinco de Mayo. Both have become drinking party days in the US, but mostly retain their original meanings in Ireland (so I hear) and Pueblo, Mexico (I hear that's about the only place it is celebrated in Mexico).
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

This is the reason why we Canadians are not allowed to take a day off on Remembrance Day. We're supposed to honour our veterans and their fallen colleagues, not go shopping for Christmas presents!

This is also probably the reason why 9/11 was never given any other name than "9/11" or "September 11".
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
            This is also probably the reason why 9/11 was never given any other name than "9/11" or "September 11".
            I think I remember Bush dubbing it "Patriot Day."

Cinco de Mayo was always nice for me, because when I was little and living in Arizona it meant block parties with churros.
            The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Well original holidays---holy days.

I take it you spend them in reverent meditation and penance.
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

"It's run by a big Eastern syndicate, you know."

I kind of agree, but the fact is that people have been complaining about holidays losing their real meaning for decades. The Charlie Brown Christmas Special, which I quoted above, first aired in 1965! Back then we didn't spend the night of Thanksgiving in a freezing parking lot waiting for WalMart to open at 6 AM (there wasn't any WalMart, for starters, but we didn't do that at any other store, either).

It's gotten worse in some ways, but I do my best to celebrate holidays the way that means the most to me and my family.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Complaining about how holidays have "lost meaning" is as old as complaining about how the kids today don't respect their elders and play their music too loud.

For as long as I can remember (30 "adult" years) the 4th and Memorial Day have both been spent partying, grilling, hanging out with family, and this is bad how? Exactly? Honoring those who've sacrificed doesn't have to be some somber affair.... just because I'm not prostrate in front of a tombstone all day doesn't mean I don't recognize the contributions of those who died for me.

I think about it a lot, sometimes, even on days when there's no recognized celebration... funny that.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                    I think I remember Bush dubbing it "Patriot Day."

Cinco de Mayo was always nice for me, because when I was little and living in Arizona it meant block parties with churros.
                    Yeah, but we don't call it "Patriot Day" or any other name than the actual date itself.
                    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

This is exactly why, when these holidays first went in, a lot of vets wanted them to be in the middle of the week. Say, a Wednesday or Thursday. Then people might actually think about them a little...

Comment

Whilst we're on holidays,I see lots of things for Mother's Day. Well,over here,we had it back in March and it's still (well... sometimes) called Mothering Sunday.
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

This a great topic....for "Social Woes" over at Fratching. I know everyone's been keeping it civil but this is not the forum for this topic. Feel free to resume the discussion over there.
                          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                          X