This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #RIPBob

I think I need a new hard drive. I went to turn on my computer yesterday, only to find that, though it powered on just fine, it wouldn't actually boot up. Several restarts, shutdowns, and a system restore later, I finally remembered that I have a backup hard drive and tried booting to that. Thankfully, it allowed it. Now, at first, I thought the main HDD had just probably popped loose, but nope. File Explorer reads that both of them are there and lets me access files on the one I can't boot to.

Today, I tried running a diagnostic test (the one you can get directly from Western Digital, since both my HDDs are of that brand) and it wouldn't even finish running the test because, and I quote the error message, 'too many bad sectors detected'. Right now I'm running a Windows disk check/repair, but I'm also bracing for the reality that I might have to do several hours of data transfer to my backup drive in case I need a new one. I even have a new one wishlisted on Amazon just in case.

I'm both annoyed and saddened, though. Annoyed because transferring things is going to be a nightmare and a half and sad because I don't want to possibly lose any of my several-years-worth of pictures and music that are on there.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Sounds like what happened to mine, except I lost everything, which wasn't much and not too important. I'm glad you can save your stuff at least. I have to re-do all my resumes.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Update edit- Got it working again. It took three separate attempts at a hard drive repair and a full 24 hours of work, but Bob's main hard drive is bootable again. However! Half of the diagnostics I've been running are still throwing error messages at me before shutting off completely, which makes me think that nothing's actually fixed and there are still issues. At this point, it seems like getting a new hard drive is probably going to happen after all. Luckily, all the things I would be sad to lose were transferred over to my backup drive last night.
      Last edited by firecat88; 05-17-2015, 07:46 PM.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Working...
      X